* Austin Klingler (left) was our Week 7 winner; Connor Vass-Gal is a Week 8 nominee
- - -
What an insane finish to last week's National Performer of the Week poll.
It's the closest margin of victory we've ever seen.
But a crazy finish is a crazy finish, and after nearly 5,300 votes were cast last week, West Jordan senior Austin Klingler nabbed Week 7 honors by just eight -- COUNT 'EM, EIGHT -- votes to defeat Hewitt-Trussville's Julian Collins.
Klingler is our Week 7 winner after producing an indoor 400m personal record time of 48.24 seconds at the Utah Sprint Challenge, ranking him among the nation's top 10 performers at the distance this season. He grabbed just over 41-percent of the vote, while Collins came just eight tallies shy, earning 40.87-percent.
Live Oak's Clayton Simms, who vaulted for the first time since November, was third with just over 500 votes. A big congrats goes out to Klingler on the win, and to all of the nominees from last week.
Now let's move on to Week 8 of our indoor national performer of the week honor.
We'll have seven candidates in this week's poll. Voting will end Friday, and we'll recognize the winner every Monday during the unveiling of the newest poll.
NPOTW Indoor Boys Track And Field Winners:
- Week 1 Winner: Michael Bourne, Cosby (VA)
- Week 2 Winner: Jekovan Rhetta, Parker (AL)
- Week 3 Winner: Leonard Mustari, Dunbar (FL)
- Week 4 Winner: Luke Schroeder, Bullis School (MD)
- Week 5 Winner: Chris Hilton, Zachary (LA)
- Week 6 Winner: Marcus Reilly, Northbridge (MA)
- Week 7 Winner: Austin Klinger, West Jordan (UT)