* University of Cincinnati recruit Steven McElroy is a nominee for Week 3 of the National Boys Performer of the Week award
- - -
Week 2 of the National Boys Performer of the Week award was an absolute battle.
Just over 100 votes out of a possible 3,886 separated first from second place, and it came down to Alabama standouts, Birmingham Parker's Jekovan Rhetta and Hoover's Jay Avery, for the weekly distinction.
In the end, Rhetta slipped by Avery at the line on Friday, accumulating 1,870 votes to win after a week that saw him put down a US No. 2 performance of 6.79 seconds in the 60m at the Holiday Invitational.
Avery, meanwhile, tallied 1,768 votes and was a worthy competitor after hitting 22-2.5 in the long jump and 44-4 in the triple jump at the same event. A big congrats goes out to both on their performances, and to Rhetta on his Week 2 win.
Now let's move on to Week 3 of the National Performer of the Week for the indoor track and field season.
We'll have seven candidates in this week's poll. Voting will end Friday, and we'll recognize the winner every Monday during the unveiling of the newest poll.
NPOTW Indoor Track And Field Winners:
NPOTW XC Winners:
- Week 1 Winner: Rheinhardt Harrison, Nease (FL)
- Week 2 Winner: Izaiah Steury, Angola (IN)
- Week 3 Winner: Jackson Danner, Huntsville (AL)
- Week 4 Winner: Dayton Carlson, Casteel (AZ)
- Week 5 Winnner: Ethan Strand, Vestavia Hills (AL)
- Week 6 Winner: Grahm Tuohy-Gaydos, Green Mountain (CO)
- Week 7 Winner: Dawson Mayberry, Bentonville (AR)
- Week 8 Winner: Matt Bogdan, Colts Neck (NJ)
- Week 9 Winner: Nathan Moore, Uniontown Lake (OH)
- Week 10 Winner: Spain Vaughan, Eastside (SC)
- Week 11 Winner: Grahm Tuohy-Gaydos, Green Montain (CO)
- Week 12 Winner: Nathan Moore, Uniontown Lake (OH)
- Week 13 Winner: Javier Vento, Belen Jesuit (FL)
- Week 14 Winner: Myles Hogan, Fordham (NY)
- Week 15 Winner: Vidhur Polam, South Brunswick (NJ)