2A Region 1 and 1A Region 2
04/16/2008 10:55:47 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
I thought this meet went very well. I left after the 800m Finals but I felt Dan and the staff that helped out today made this thing work. Good Job
I thought this meet went very well. I left after the 800m Finals but I felt Dan and the staff that helped out today made this thing work. Good Job
04/17/2008 8:34:16 AM
Admin
SUBSCRIBER
Yes as always, Bolles makes a nice place for a big track meet. They did a tremendous job!
Yes as always, Bolles makes a nice place for a big track meet. They did a tremendous job!
04/17/2008 8:48:44 AM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
I thought it went very well. I'd ask that the Coaches meeting be moved up to 9am and the first Field Event (in this case the girls PV) start at 10am. Meets like Bob Hayes and Florida Relays start early and that's fine. Actually, I'd move everything up 1 hour as we finished after 10pm and that's tough on a school day. Just a thought. The Meet Referee was, however, amaaaaaazing. Oh yeah, Dan was OK too. :-)
I thought it went very well. I'd ask that the Coaches meeting be moved up to 9am and the first Field Event (in this case the girls PV) start at 10am. Meets like Bob Hayes and Florida Relays start early and that's fine. Actually, I'd move everything up 1 hour as we finished after 10pm and that's tough on a school day. Just a thought. The Meet Referee was, however, amaaaaaazing. Oh yeah, Dan was OK too.
04/17/2008 9:19:06 AM
Coach
Dan and his staff did a great job hosting the meet. They kept it moving at the right pace and finished up right on time. And they put the athletes first! Some crews seem to forget that these things are about the kids... I think my only criticism would be the parking situation. There wasn't enough and folks were parked all up and down San Jose Boulevard (at least the street was made to park on the side). And I'm only passing on what the parents were complaining about.
Dan and his staff did a great job hosting the meet. They kept it moving at the right pace and finished up right on time. And they put the athletes first! Some crews seem to forget that these things are about the kids...

I think my only criticism would be the parking situation. There wasn't enough and folks were parked all up and down San Jose Boulevard (at least the street was made to park on the side). And I'm only passing on what the parents were complaining about.
04/17/2008 10:10:37 AM
Power User
SUBSCRIBER
The parking situation at Bolles will always be a problem and that's just never going to change -- there is just not enough space on campus. People either need to get there early enough to park on campus or on the back field or park on San Jose Blvd and walk to campus. The most anyone would have to walk is a half a mile and if they are complaining about that they either need to get there earlier or get in better shape. It's the exact same for a big football game at Bolles and for most big sporting events.
The parking situation at Bolles will always be a problem and that's just never going to change -- there is just not enough space on campus. People either need to get there early enough to park on campus or on the back field or park on San Jose Blvd and walk to campus. The most anyone would have to walk is a half a mile and if they are complaining about that they either need to get there earlier or get in better shape. It's the exact same for a big football game at Bolles and for most big sporting events.
04/17/2008 11:09:35 AM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
A superb job by Dan and the Bolles crew!! Nobody could have done it better. They get my vote to host our region every year!
A superb job by Dan and the Bolles crew!! Nobody could have done it better. They get my vote to host our region every year!
04/17/2008 12:43:36 PM
Coach
OUTSTANDING job by Dan and his staff and the the "UNIVERSITY OF BOLLES" lol wonderful meet if this was the model for future Regional meets then I am on board for a vote. The only issue was the parking on the far side of the standium. i would suggest that the area should be or school/charter buses only and for the kids to have a warmup and staging area. so many cars kids could not warm up. Other than that "DAN" you have my support. Look forward to next yr. Chervon Screen "Coach REDD"
OUTSTANDING job by Dan and his staff and the the "UNIVERSITY OF BOLLES" lol wonderful meet if this was the model for future Regional meets then I am on board for a vote. The only issue was the parking on the far side of the standium. i would suggest that the area should be or school/charter buses only and for the kids to have a warmup and staging area. so many cars kids could not warm up. Other than that "DAN" you have my support. Look forward to next yr.
Chervon Screen
"Coach REDD"
04/17/2008 5:17:30 PM
User
Does the FHSAA realize that these are student athletes? Many of my athletes were only able to get 4 hours of sleep and go to school the next morning and we didn't nearly travel as far as a team like Montverde!
Does the FHSAA realize that these are student athletes? Many of my athletes were only able to get 4 hours of sleep and go to school the next morning and we didn't nearly travel as far as a team like Montverde!
04/18/2008 9:37:07 AM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
[quote=CoachCabiac]Does the FHSAA realize that these are student athletes? Many of my athletes were only able to get 4 hours of sleep and go to school the next morning and we didn't nearly travel as far as a team like Montverde! [/quote] While I am sure that they are aware that these are student athletes, I think the first priority on their part is to get the regions completed. It is hard to find schools willing to host region meets and even harder to get the meet directors to host the meets on friday or saturday to minimize academic disruptions (the problem concerning inclement weather is a poor excuse for pulling students out of class for as much as 3 days to run a region meet). In fact, the FHSAA would probably prefer to get the results sooner if they could - greatly encouraging the practice of week day region meets (I consider friday night meet as a weekend meet). I do not see a change in this in the near future as most track coaches want to spend time with their families on the weekends and the FHSAA is sanctioning this practice to minimize their work load, as well.
CoachCabiac wrote:

While I am sure that they are aware that these are student athletes, I think the first priority on their part is to get the regions completed. It is hard to find schools willing to host region meets and even harder to get the meet directors to host the meets on friday or saturday to minimize academic disruptions (the problem concerning inclement weather is a poor excuse for pulling students out of class for as much as 3 days to run a region meet). In fact, the FHSAA would probably prefer to get the results sooner if they could - greatly encouraging the practice of week day region meets (I consider friday night meet as a weekend meet). I do not see a change in this in the near future as most track coaches want to spend time with their families on the weekends and the FHSAA is sanctioning this practice to minimize their work load, as well.
04/18/2008 12:22:29 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
I would like to thank all of the coaches that helped to run the field events at this meet. It was a long and exhausting task for them to run four different competitions and I think that they all did a marvelous job. We certainly could not have done this without all of your hard work. Now that it is over, we are going to think long and hard about if we want to use this model again for us as well as around the state. I understand that parking is an issue and we will work on that. As for travel, that has nothing to do with being a single or double region so I will let that go. It would be no different if there was only one region going on since we started at 11:00 and finished at 10:00 (actually 10:10) just as the manual dictates for a regional meet. I am anxious to hear about any suggestions regarding the format to see how we can improve it in the future. Thanks again to all the coaches for your help. Dan Dearing The Bolles School
I would like to thank all of the coaches that helped to run the field events at this meet. It was a long and exhausting task for them to run four different competitions and I think that they all did a marvelous job. We certainly could not have done this without all of your hard work.

Now that it is over, we are going to think long and hard about if we want to use this model again for us as well as around the state.

I understand that parking is an issue and we will work on that. As for travel, that has nothing to do with being a single or double region so I will let that go. It would be no different if there was only one region going on since we started at 11:00 and finished at 10:00 (actually 10:10) just as the manual dictates for a regional meet.

I am anxious to hear about any suggestions regarding the format to see how we can improve it in the future. Thanks again to all the coaches for your help.

Dan Dearing
The Bolles School
04/18/2008 2:36:48 PM
Coach
As fast as you guys ran the meet, it would be really hard to offer suggestions on improvement. The only event that really went off schedule was the pole vault, where the 1A guys started about an hour late. Other than State, has there ever been a meet with a full compliment of pole vaulters that stayed on schedule?
As fast as you guys ran the meet, it would be really hard to offer suggestions on improvement. The only event that really went off schedule was the pole vault, where the 1A guys started about an hour late. Other than State, has there ever been a meet with a full compliment of pole vaulters that stayed on schedule?
04/19/2008 1:11:06 AM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
I also want to make it clear that I am not criticizing Dan or any of the other region directors for choosing to run the meet on the day that they choose. It is a very large task with few rewards other than seeing that a meet is well run. In addition, some programs might have trouble getting their athletes to show up at a District or Region meet held on a Saturday.
I also want to make it clear that I am not criticizing Dan or any of the other region directors for choosing to run the meet on the day that they choose. It is a very large task with few rewards other than seeing that a meet is well run.

In addition, some programs might have trouble getting their athletes to show up at a District or Region meet held on a Saturday.

You must be logged in to comment.

Click Here to Log In.