Petition to bring back Elite Performances!
03/29/2007 2:28:14 PM
User
I\'m sorry Brandon, but I do not like that every athlete can now have all performances listed on milestat. Sometimes, people fall, trip, whatever and that time will be listed as one of their times! It makes Virginia track look weak, and no incentive to work hard so that you can have the privilege to be listed among the top runners in VA.

NOW IF YOU AGREE, PLEASE RESPOND TO THIS MESSAGE, and sign your name or screen name. Let\'s try to have over 100+ responses!!
I\'m sorry Brandon, but I do not like that every athlete can now have all performances listed on milestat. Sometimes, people fall, trip, whatever and that time will be listed as one of their times! It makes Virginia track look weak, and no incentive to work hard so that you can have the privilege to be listed among the top runners in VA.

NOW IF YOU AGREE, PLEASE RESPOND TO THIS MESSAGE, and sign your name or screen name. Let\'s try to have over 100+ responses!!
03/29/2007 2:36:39 PM
User
Colleges want a true representation of an athlete, not just your A list races, but also your bad ones. This gives everyone a chance to be listed and also gives more people a reason to sign up.
Colleges want a true representation of an athlete, not just your A list races, but also your bad ones. This gives everyone a chance to be listed and also gives more people a reason to sign up.
03/29/2007 6:58:39 PM
User
Mr. Miles was complaining about time, and then does something that adds time to his already busy schedule.
Also, are we going to get preview for every region in A,AA and AAA? Or just the one Midlo happends to be in ??
Mr. Miles was complaining about time, and then does something that adds time to his already busy schedule.
Also, are we going to get preview for every region in A,AA and AAA? Or just the one Midlo happends to be in ??
03/29/2007 7:26:48 PM
User
SUBSCRIBER
Your not a subscriber anyway so what do you care how he spends his time
Your not a subscriber anyway so what do you care how he spends his time
03/29/2007 7:30:00 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
I would like to see the elite performances back as well. To many, this is a running milestone that leads to an even hungrier athlete. High school kids like and need the reward. The way it is now, there is no need to post complete results because everything is on the front page of the meet. If colleges/viewers want to see the whole representation then they can pull up the complete results as before. I would like to see it go back to the way it was. Either way, the website is the best thing out there for runners. Good Job Milestat
I would like to see the elite performances back as well. To many, this is a running milestone that leads to an even hungrier athlete. High school kids like and need the reward. The way it is now, there is no need to post complete results because everything is on the front page of the meet. If colleges/viewers want to see the whole representation then they can pull up the complete results as before. I would like to see it go back to the way it was. Either way, the website is the best thing out there for runners. Good Job Milestat
03/29/2007 7:33:48 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
Anyone who is not a subscriber needs to pony up and pay the fee. Otherwise you don\'t need to worry about the way anything is done on the website because it won\'t exist!!!
Anyone who is not a subscriber needs to pony up and pay the fee. Otherwise you don\'t need to worry about the way anything is done on the website because it won\'t exist!!!
03/29/2007 8:52:25 PM
User
I dont like these statements made towards non subscribers I mean Brandon Miles should not even make people pay this fee, it is not the best idea, and he is losing out of thousands of advertisement dollars because of it, but anyways lets focus of the elite performances, some kid has a 13.0 second 100m time and like 1:12 400m time in competition...what does this bring, other than joy to that kid...
I dont like these statements made towards non subscribers I mean Brandon Miles should not even make people pay this fee, it is not the best idea, and he is losing out of thousands of advertisement dollars because of it, but anyways lets focus of the elite performances, some kid has a 13.0 second 100m time and like 1:12 400m time in competition...what does this bring, other than joy to that kid...
03/29/2007 9:02:56 PM
User
I would like to see elite performances come back as well. I already commented on what I thought about it in another thread, but anyway, if I had a race when I didn\'t get an elite performance I wouldn\'t really want it on my profile anyway. I realize it is just as easy or easier to put on performances for everyone, but it just isn\'t like the old elite performances. Plus it will probably make rosters crowded with kids that maybe will just run one season and quit, so the data might get to be inaccurate.
I would like to see elite performances come back as well. I already commented on what I thought about it in another thread, but anyway, if I had a race when I didn\'t get an elite performance I wouldn\'t really want it on my profile anyway. I realize it is just as easy or easier to put on performances for everyone, but it just isn\'t like the old elite performances. Plus it will probably make rosters crowded with kids that maybe will just run one season and quit, so the data might get to be inaccurate.
03/29/2007 9:18:38 PM
Admin
SUBSCRIBER
The comment about me losing thousands of advertising dollars because the site is subscription based is grossly inaccurate. The site\'s traffic has increased drastically compared to the pre-subscription days (mainly b/c subscription funds allowed me to improve the site\'s coverage). In turn, I was able to raise my ad rates because the same rate from the old traffic numbers was undervaluing the worth of advertising on the site.

Actually advertisers like to advertise in a market of people willing to open up their pocket books and wallets in forms of media that require subscriptions such as newspapers for example. Its called BUYING POWER...basic economics. Thats why internet advertising has floundered over the years because you are dealing with customers that want everything for free on their sites and the internet, so why would they want to buy something advertised on the sites as well? Advertisers have not been getting the bang for the buck as they use to when they advertised in print media.

The problem with finding advertisers for this site is a microcosm of the sport as a whole...its just not well marketed and appealing to the mainstream. Sponsors also seems to be predominantly local or national based and I\'m stuck in the middle with a statewide focus.

I plan to have a long-term fix for the site\'s financial future by the end of the outdoor season that I believe both myself and my site visitors will be content with.
The comment about me losing thousands of advertising dollars because the site is subscription based is grossly inaccurate. The site\'s traffic has increased drastically compared to the pre-subscription days (mainly b/c subscription funds allowed me to improve the site\'s coverage). In turn, I was able to raise my ad rates because the same rate from the old traffic numbers was undervaluing the worth of advertising on the site.

Actually advertisers like to advertise in a market of people willing to open up their pocket books and wallets in forms of media that require subscriptions such as newspapers for example. Its called BUYING POWER...basic economics. Thats why internet advertising has floundered over the years because you are dealing with customers that want everything for free on their sites and the internet, so why would they want to buy something advertised on the sites as well? Advertisers have not been getting the bang for the buck as they use to when they advertised in print media.

The problem with finding advertisers for this site is a microcosm of the sport as a whole...its just not well marketed and appealing to the mainstream. Sponsors also seems to be predominantly local or national based and I\'m stuck in the middle with a statewide focus.

I plan to have a long-term fix for the site\'s financial future by the end of the outdoor season that I believe both myself and my site visitors will be content with.
03/29/2007 9:23:02 PM
User
I apologize Brandon for my comment, so is that why you are removing the elite performances so that more people can be ranked and therefore will want to see themselves on the site. Thats a very smart business startegy, but it does hurt the overall value of Virginia track, as it makes the results seem much weaker
I apologize Brandon for my comment, so is that why you are removing the elite performances so that more people can be ranked and therefore will want to see themselves on the site. Thats a very smart business startegy, but it does hurt the overall value of Virginia track, as it makes the results seem much weaker
03/29/2007 9:55:13 PM
User
how could showing the performances hurt Va track and Field? Be real, those performances happened weather you want to admit it or not...they still exsist. Hidding them does not improve the \'state\" of track. It is high school track...everyone knows there are weak performances...that happens in high school...so what!
how could showing the performances hurt Va track and Field? Be real, those performances happened weather you want to admit it or not...they still exsist. Hidding them does not improve the \'state\" of track. It is high school track...everyone knows there are weak performances...that happens in high school...so what!
03/29/2007 9:58:09 PM
User
The problem is that there is no program you can write to crop every result sheet at a certain time, its just too difficult and too time consuming. Putting all the results up on the pages not only makes it easier on Miles, it lets all runner check their status and improvement, as well as giving colleges a good look. I\'ve been a member here a long time (college student now w/o money to send in to be a paying customer, but i due time I will get it in) But I agree with almost all the decisions Brandon\'s made. this site\'s hella better than nearly all on the web w/the exception of dyestat which is becoming just a little too commercialized.
The problem is that there is no program you can write to crop every result sheet at a certain time, its just too difficult and too time consuming. Putting all the results up on the pages not only makes it easier on Miles, it lets all runner check their status and improvement, as well as giving colleges a good look. I\'ve been a member here a long time (college student now w/o money to send in to be a paying customer, but i due time I will get it in) But I agree with almost all the decisions Brandon\'s made. this site\'s hella better than nearly all on the web w/the exception of dyestat which is becoming just a little too commercialized.
03/29/2007 9:59:30 PM
User
I dont see what the big deal is... its not like you arent as \"elite\" just because everyone has a performance page now. just keep running your times. it doesnt matter
I dont see what the big deal is... its not like you arent as \"elite\" just because everyone has a performance page now. just keep running your times. it doesnt matter
03/29/2007 10:16:52 PM
User
People train hard for a lot of reasons but getting their own milestat page isn\'t a reason for anybody I can think of. Besides this way people will be able to track an athlete\'s performance throughout highschool if they didn\'t make elite performances in the beginning.
People train hard for a lot of reasons but getting their own milestat page isn\'t a reason for anybody I can think of. Besides this way people will be able to track an athlete\'s performance throughout highschool if they didn\'t make elite performances in the beginning.
03/30/2007 12:38:05 AM
User
oh aight, i just liked it how it was before, people say change it for the best, but i didnt think so for this, thats just my opinion, and it looks like im part of the minority for this issue.
oh aight, i just liked it how it was before, people say change it for the best, but i didnt think so for this, thats just my opinion, and it looks like im part of the minority for this issue.
03/30/2007 3:37:26 AM
Admin
SUBSCRIBER
I\'d like to think people are more motivated by other things to do their best and improve than get a MileStat.com Elite performance. You have district, region, state championships, and personal bests to go after as well as school records. I know my 3200 outdoor school record drove me a great deal in my senior year to go after. And don\'t worry with my articles...I usually keep people honest and don\'t sugarcoat to make sure people push for excellence (nothing personal..I want people to prove me wrong when they are performing so-so). If people are running off or poorly, I\'ll call them out...but I want them to redeem themselves and make me a fool. I was glad to see Ray Delgado of Brentsville for example take offense to me during XC in an article refence that his team would be running at another level if he was running up to par and he responded with strong races in championship season.

Don\'t worry...taking down of elite standards will be better in the long haul for more important problems we have...such as false entry times/performances. Especially the AA, A, and private school athletes, coaches, and parents...it will be easier to see where you rank against your competition.
I\'d like to think people are more motivated by other things to do their best and improve than get a MileStat.com Elite performance. You have district, region, state championships, and personal bests to go after as well as school records. I know my 3200 outdoor school record drove me a great deal in my senior year to go after. And don\'t worry with my articles...I usually keep people honest and don\'t sugarcoat to make sure people push for excellence (nothing personal..I want people to prove me wrong when they are performing so-so). If people are running off or poorly, I\'ll call them out...but I want them to redeem themselves and make me a fool. I was glad to see Ray Delgado of Brentsville for example take offense to me during XC in an article refence that his team would be running at another level if he was running up to par and he responded with strong races in championship season.

Don\'t worry...taking down of elite standards will be better in the long haul for more important problems we have...such as false entry times/performances. Especially the AA, A, and private school athletes, coaches, and parents...it will be easier to see where you rank against your competition.
03/30/2007 2:49:37 PM
User
I am personally a fan of Elite Times, me and one of my teammates made it a contest to see who could log the most elite performances in their HS Career, I think he beat me by 1, but that doesn\'t really matter. Elite Times are great and everything, but Brandon is right- something else should be motivating you, not what some website says is \"Elite\" personally, I wish that the elite standards had been faster, because running a 17:30 5k wouldn\'t have even been competitive on my cross country team senior year, much less all-district. I ran sub 16 in the 5k and I didn\'t make all-state- How \"elite\" is that? My senior year I was motivated by breaking my school record and all-state. I can remeber breaking 16 in the 5k, I can remember making all-state in the 3200m, I can remember breaking my school\'s indoor 2 mile record... I can\'t remember my first elite performance though. What I\'m saying is there are bigger and better milestones than running a so-called \"Elite\" time. So basically, forget elite times, they are not, by any means, a necessity.
I am personally a fan of Elite Times, me and one of my teammates made it a contest to see who could log the most elite performances in their HS Career, I think he beat me by 1, but that doesn\'t really matter. Elite Times are great and everything, but Brandon is right- something else should be motivating you, not what some website says is \"Elite\" personally, I wish that the elite standards had been faster, because running a 17:30 5k wouldn\'t have even been competitive on my cross country team senior year, much less all-district. I ran sub 16 in the 5k and I didn\'t make all-state- How \"elite\" is that? My senior year I was motivated by breaking my school record and all-state. I can remeber breaking 16 in the 5k, I can remember making all-state in the 3200m, I can remember breaking my school\'s indoor 2 mile record... I can\'t remember my first elite performance though. What I\'m saying is there are bigger and better milestones than running a so-called \"Elite\" time. So basically, forget elite times, they are not, by any means, a necessity.
03/30/2007 11:28:08 PM
User
Ill admit the first time I got my own page on milestat got me excited. But I think seeing my name anywhere on this site at the time would have given me the same gratitude. Looking back on it now I wish I had a full record of my times from early highschool. I wish I had the full record of my 2:30 800\'s freshman year to where I\'m at now. Also as another person pointed out it will give you a better idea of your competition.

The only people who seem to not like this idea are the ones that feel they have worked hard to earn there page. The thought of someone else just being given a page must feel like...you working hard for a letter jacket and someone else just given one because they paid for it.

Trust me though, it will bring more modivation and involvement to the younger athletes as well as being more traffic to the sight. More traffic to the site means more subscribers which means better content. We all win.
Ill admit the first time I got my own page on milestat got me excited. But I think seeing my name anywhere on this site at the time would have given me the same gratitude. Looking back on it now I wish I had a full record of my times from early highschool. I wish I had the full record of my 2:30 800\'s freshman year to where I\'m at now. Also as another person pointed out it will give you a better idea of your competition.

The only people who seem to not like this idea are the ones that feel they have worked hard to earn there page. The thought of someone else just being given a page must feel like...you working hard for a letter jacket and someone else just given one because they paid for it.

Trust me though, it will bring more modivation and involvement to the younger athletes as well as being more traffic to the sight. More traffic to the site means more subscribers which means better content. We all win.
04/01/2007 2:56:32 PM
User
i\'d have to agree with everyone that the elite performance where just one of many goals I worked twards in the past couple of years and finaly getting to have my own page where I could proudly show my marks was fufilling. I think that if at the time everyone and their brother had one it wouldnt have been the same. But just my two cents I\'m in full support of what ever keeps mile stat around, becuase it enhances what I think makes track different from any other sport, the community and social asspect.
i\'d have to agree with everyone that the elite performance where just one of many goals I worked twards in the past couple of years and finaly getting to have my own page where I could proudly show my marks was fufilling. I think that if at the time everyone and their brother had one it wouldnt have been the same. But just my two cents I\'m in full support of what ever keeps mile stat around, becuase it enhances what I think makes track different from any other sport, the community and social asspect.
04/01/2007 3:36:52 PM
User
i remember the first meet i got an elite performance in, i know it seems kinda stupid but elite performances are kinda important to a lot of people, but i understand why brandon is posting all the times, i think it would be nice if he could keep doing this but do somthing to make the elite times different, maybe but then in a diferent color on peoples pages or somthing, i don\'t know just an idea
i remember the first meet i got an elite performance in, i know it seems kinda stupid but elite performances are kinda important to a lot of people, but i understand why brandon is posting all the times, i think it would be nice if he could keep doing this but do somthing to make the elite times different, maybe but then in a diferent color on peoples pages or somthing, i don\'t know just an idea

You must be logged in to comment.

Click Here to Log In.