Freshman Star's Debut, Naperville Girls' First Win
- - -
A couple very obvious things to take away from the First to Finish Invitational on Saturday in Peoria, Illinois.
1. Naperville North's girls, until proven otherwise, are still tops in Class 3A. In an early season battle between the state's three best teams, the MileSplit50 No. 4 Huskies ran well, displaced in a strong field, and came away with a big win, dispatching No. 13 Yorkville and Downers Grove South. As we predicted, top stick Alex Morris led the squad with a fourth-place finish in 17:07.40, while sophomore transfer Campbell Peterson came through in 10th and the team's 3-4-5 were all in by the 21st finisher. Naperville scored 58 points, while Yorkville scored 89 and DGS had 90 (Edit: Earlier results had DGS ahead of Yorkville). Barrington, one of Illinois' better squads a year ago, was seventh with 251 points.
|1||Naperville North High School||58||4+10+13+14+17 (21+32)||0:39 1-5 Split | 17:32 Avg|
|2||Downers Grove South High School||92||5+16+18+26+27 (39+41)||0:54 1-5 Split | 17:45 Avg|
|3||Yorkville High School||92||3+6+12+25+46 (57+69)||1:26 1-5 Split | 17:40 Avg|
|4||Minooka High School||179||9+24+43+45+58 (83+87)||1:20 1-5 Split | 18:14 Avg|
|5||Batavia High School||201||1+20+35+56+89 (91+96)||2:38 1-5 Split | 18:12 Avg|
- - -
2. How about the freshman? Batavia High School's Katrina Schlenker is no joke. As many around the Illinois area have predicted, this young gun could be something special. On Saturday, she might have indicated the beginning of a truly breakout season. She won the girls 3A race in the top overall time of 16:42.60 and outpaced Molly Fitzpatrick, a sophomore from Barrington.
3. The top race in the boys field also threw down in the Class 3A race. A total of 12 boys broke 15 minutes at 3-miles, with Glenbard West senior Rory Cavan claiming victory in 14:24.40. Maine South's Tommy Brady, ranked No. 17 in the preseason MileSplit50, had the flu and finished seventh in 14:53.40.
Boys Individual Places
|1||Rory Cavan||12||Glenbard West High School||14:24.40||1|
|2||Jack Roberts||12||Downers Grove North High School||14:26.50||2|
|3||Tyler Cushing||11||Bolingbrook High School||14:44.80||3|
|4||Samuel Rivera||12||Whitney Young High School||14:46.00||4|
|5||Jared Kreis||11||Lincoln-Way Central High School||14:48.30||5|
|6||Andrew O'keefe||12||Granite City High School||14:51.00||0|
|7||Tommy Brady||12||Maine South High School||14:53.40||6|
|8||Roland Prenzler||12||Edwardsville High School||14:54.70||7|
|9||Stephen Moody||12||Glenbard West High School||14:55.40||8|
|10||Eddie Lennon||12||Rolling Meadows High School||14:58.00||9|
- Page 1: North Rockland off to a great start
- Page 2: Freshman power player, Naperville girls roll
- Page 3: Loudoun Valley's boys are back
- Page 4: Rainey conditions at Southlake
- Page 5: Coverage from elite performances in California
- Page 6: Performances From Around the country
- Page 7: Craziness at the Liberty Bell Invitational
- Page 8: Unpacking the Chittenango Invitational