The Nation's Top Discus Thrower From Massachusetts Came Out Of Nowhere
Remember the name Sam Welsh.
The Concord Academy (MA) High senior discus thrower has pretty much come out of nowhere to claim a US No. 1 mark of 202-4.
Here at MileSplit, we generally try to fact check performances as much as we can, which is why that April 7 mark, achieved at the second annual CA Relays at Concord Academy, took so long to legitimize before it became official in our system.
Just check out his mark compared to others at the relays (see below)? It's freaking ridiculous and doesn't seem real! As an aside, when we generally see results like this in our system, it's often a mistake or reported wrong.
This one was not.
But we would be doing Welsh a disservice if we didn't mention it at some point.
His previous best from his junior season is 186-6 at New Balance Nationals Outdoor. He only started throwing two years ago.
That mark surpassed the former No. 1, Patrick Larrison of Moore (OK), though part of me feels like the moment Larrison sees this he's going to rocket off another huge throw. That's what Oklahoman's do, right?
Could this be the beginning of a superb back-and-forth between Welsh and Larrison for the nation's No. 1 mark?
Let's hope so.
- - -
Discus Results From The CA Relays
|1||Sam Welsh||12||Concord Academy||202-04.00||1|
|4||Nick Spoor||11||Concord Academy||89-09.00||1|
- Page 1: Arizona State Championship Day 1 Highlights
- Page 2: Coverage of the Florida state championships from Flrunners.com
- Page 3: Dustin Horter Run 4:04 full mile
- Page 4: Other things that happened from around Florida
- Page 5: Alabama's Marion Humphrey unheralded no more
- Page 6: Loudoun Valley's Sam Affolder Goes Sub-9, Plus More From Dogwood
- Page 7: Is the nation's top discus thrower from MA a complete unknown?
- Page 8: Sean Burrell Takes Home Four Wins At LHSAA State Outdoor Championships
- Page 9: Michigan Has Big Weekend In Distance Events