10/15/2011 Houston Strake Jesuit meet
10/31/2011 5:39:09 PM
User
Anyone know the exact distance for the Stake Jesuit race? Seems unlikely that 25 of the top 50 times for 2-mile (Region III 5A) would be from the same meet. I suspect the distance was less than 2 miles. I know the District 17 5A championship was 3270 meters (2.03 miles). Brad
Anyone know the exact distance for the Stake Jesuit race? Seems unlikely that 25 of the top 50 times for 2-mile (Region III 5A) would be from the same meet. I suspect the distance was less than 2 miles.

I know the District 17 5A championship was 3270 meters (2.03 miles).

Brad
10/31/2011 6:09:54 PM
Coach
great weather is the key. fast, flat course around soccer and baseball fields. basically like racing around a track w/ fall weather and no wind. it's been the same route for years....
great weather is the key. fast, flat course around soccer and baseball fields. basically like racing around a track w/ fall weather and no wind. it's been the same route for years....
10/31/2011 9:35:41 PM
Coach
The course was 2.05 on a GPS watch. Like Old Army said, late in the year, flat course, good weather. Same course they have run for years.
The course was 2.05 on a GPS watch. Like Old Army said, late in the year, flat course, good weather. Same course they have run for years.
10/31/2011 10:04:15 PM
Power User
SUBSCRIBER
Actual distance doesn't matter so much. You can rate the courses by comparing several key runners' times from one course to another...particularly if they are close together in the season. Good athletes to use from course to course would be Ameringer and Gilcrease as they ran both. You could also compare the 17-4A George Bush course to Bear Creek using Samarneh, Wood, etc. Both Spring Creek and George Bush are slower courses than Bear Creek. Bear Creek is notoriously "fast" for several reasons: 1) mowed rye grass 2) Courses around soccer and playing fields usually lack sharp turns and cutbacks because they go around large rectangular/circular shapes. 3) There is usually plenty of space, which minimizes the need to get out fast or perish. There is ample room to pass during the course of the race. Time is pretty irrelevant in cross country. It is ALL about place because courses vary too much to evaluate solely based on time.
Actual distance doesn't matter so much. You can rate the courses by comparing several key runners' times from one course to another...particularly if they are close together in the season.

Good athletes to use from course to course would be Ameringer and Gilcrease as they ran both.

You could also compare the 17-4A George Bush course to Bear Creek using Samarneh, Wood, etc.

Both Spring Creek and George Bush are slower courses than Bear Creek.

Bear Creek is notoriously "fast" for several reasons:

1) mowed rye grass
2) Courses around soccer and playing fields usually lack sharp turns and cutbacks because they go around large rectangular/circular shapes.
3) There is usually plenty of space, which minimizes the need to get out fast or perish. There is ample room to pass during the course of the race.

Time is pretty irrelevant in cross country. It is ALL about place because courses vary too much to evaluate solely based on time.
10/31/2011 10:53:04 PM
User
Thanks all. I know XC courses are like pro baseball stadiums, no two are alike and each have advantages and disadvantages to different types of player/runners. Love this site and looking forward to the regional meet on Saturday.
Thanks all. I know XC courses are like pro baseball stadiums, no two are alike and each have advantages and disadvantages to different types of player/runners.

Love this site and looking forward to the regional meet on Saturday.

You must be logged in to comment.

Click Here to Log In.