Jesuit (CA) High School graduate Matt Strangio has saved up for his last race. While the defending California Interscholastic Federation state champion at 1,600 meters didn't get a chance to end his career with another state title on the track, there would be no denying his aspirations.
In recent months, the University of Portland bound harrier -- a three-time All-American at NXN and two-time outdoor CIF champion -- has orchestrated a legendary race that will not soon be forgotten, The Quarantine Clasico, and on July 4th will proceed with an event that he hopes will produce another identical copy to that race -- a sub-time in the mile.
Get ready for the Independence Day Showdown Sub-4 in South Eugene, Oregon.
Recently, Matt sat down with Cory to chat about the race and his hopes.
- Welcoming Matt Strangio in to the interview [0:15]
- Matt's thoughts on the Independence Day Sub-4 Showdown [0:45]
- How workouts are going for Matt [2:30]
- Goals looking forward to the mile [4:00]
- Making history in the mile with two sub-4 runners potentially [6:00]
- The easiness of competing this time [7:30]
- Potential weather for the sub-4 on July 4 [9:00]
- Running in Eugene in his final race [10:30]