- - -
On the latest On the Line (above), Cory and Olivia broke down their thoughts for the Independence Day Showdown Sub-4 attempt at South Eugene High School and gave their thoughts on what it will take to break 4 minutes in the mile from this particular group. Race time for tomorrow's race will be approximately 8 p.m. PST. An official will be on hand to make sure the proper length is run.
Below, staff from MileSplit's national team, plus editors and contributors from California.
|staff||site||pr. winner||2nd place||3rd place||Pr. time||2nd||3rd|
|Cory Mull||National||Matt Strangio||John Lester||Derek Holdsworth||4:01.01||4:01.56||4:03.10|
|Olivia Ekpone||National||John Lester||Matt Strangio||Ahmed Ibrahim||4:02.20||4:03.50||4:10.2|
|Bryan Deibel||National||Matt Strangio||John Lester||Ahmed Ibrahim||4:01.89||4:02.10||*4:05.10|
|Jeff Parenti||California||Matt Strangio||John Lester||Ahmed Ibrahim||3:59.53||4:03.00||4:07.00|
|Felicia Banda||National||Matt Strangio||John Lester||Derek Holdsworth||4:02.68||4:02.8||4:03.3|
|Kevin Selby||California||John Lester||Matt Strangio||Ahmed Ibrahim||4:01.99||4:03.22||4:09.85|
|Joe Battaglia||Managing Director||Matt Strangio||John Lester||Ahmed Ibrahim||4:00.87||4:03.11||4:08.40|
The Sub-4 Mile Attempt Field:
- Matt Strangio, Jesuit (CA), Class of 2020
- Ahmed Ibrahim, Parkrose (OR), Class of 2020
- John Lester, Amador Valley (CA), Class of 2021
- Isaiah Givens, Pasadena (CA), Class of 2022
- Ajani Salcido, Jesuit (CA), Class of 2021
- Derek Holdsworth, Lafayette (VA), Class of 2014
- Jackson Mestler, University of Oregon, Eugene Sheldon (OR), Class of 2016
- Luis Peralta, University of Oregon, Passaic (NJ), Class of 2019
State Mile Records:
- California -- Overall Mile: Tim Danielson, Chula Vista, 3:59.40, 1966
- California -- Junior Record: Ryan Hall, Big Bear, 4:06.15
- California -- Sophomore Record: Austin Tamagno, Brea Olinda, 4:06.67
- National Record: Alan Webb, South Lakes (VA), 3:53.43
- National Senior Class Record: Alan Webb, South Lakes (VA), 3:53.43
- National Junior Class Record: Bernie Montoya, Cibola (AZ), 4:01.32
- National Sophomore Class Record: Edward Cheserek, St. Benedict's Prep (NJ), 4:03.29
- Oregon -- Overall Mile: Matthew Maton, Bend Summit, 3:59.38
- All-Time Track and Field News Top 10
- Matt Strangio ran a personal 1,600m best of 4:08.07 in May of 2019, winning his first state title at at that distance and his second overall outdoor title in California. He ran 4:03.57 in March during a time trial.
- John Lester paced the Quarantine Clasico in May through 1,000 meters before finishing the race in an overall personal best of 4:08.90. He's run two straight sub-1:49 performances in the 800m, his PR of 1:48.26 an official race in Arizona at the Desert Dream Last Hurrah Invitational.
- Ahmed Ibrahim is coming off an outdoor personal best in the 5K of 15:31.76 from June 23, a race he featured in alongside Nico Young. His outdoor mile best is 4:11.31 from 2019 and he has 1:55.79 800m speed.
- Isaiah Givens ran an overall PR of 4:16.52 on June 13 in Arizona at the Desert Dream Last Hurrah Invitational. His previous best 1,600m time as a freshman was 4:32.28.
- Ajani Salcido ran 4:17.33 in May at the Quarantine Clasico and reportedly has been training well since then and has lowered that performance in a personal time trial.
- Derek Holdsworth, a graduate of Western Oregon University, ran 1:47.74 in the 800m over the indoor season and owns a personal best of 3:46.67 in the 1,500m.
- Isaiah Givens on Desert Dream and the Independence Showdown
- Another sub-4 attempt is nearing
- Matt Strangio is ready for his last high school race
- On The Line: The next big sub-4 attempt will take place in July