James Burke is New Balance High School Boys' Mile Champion in 4:11.25
High School Boys Mile Champion James Burke (left) and third-place finisher Mike Brannigan (right) pose with Matt Centrowitz (center), the 3:51.35 Men's Wanamaker Mile Champion.
Port Jefferson senior James Burke bided his time and outkicked an aggressive surge from Mikey Brannigan of Northport to win the New Balance High School Boys' Mile at the Millrose Games. Jeremy Spiezio (Greenwich Central), the US #5 4:09 performer this year, took runner-up honors in 4:12.09 after leading an early portion of the race. Brannigan held on for third overall in a new mile personal record of 4:12.69.
Catherine Pagano is New Balance High School Girls' Mile Champion in US #2 4:50.66
Women's Wanamaker Mile Champion Shannon Rowbury (4:24.32) and New Balance High School Girls Mile Champion Catherine Pagano pose after their victories at the New York Armory.
Catherine Pagano of Northern Highlands, NJ led the New Balance High School Girls Mile wire-to-wire, fending off a late push from Pennsbury, PA junior Olivia Sargent to win her debut at the Millrose Games in a US #2 4:50.66.
The Stanford commit said that she took the pace out hard (68 400m/2:20 800m) to ward off a sit-and-kick race, as she ran 2:11 800m to win her state qualifier meet the night before. No one went with her, though Sargent made up impressive ground during the bell lap to finish runner-up right on her heels in 4:51.02.
IAAF World Junior Championships qualifier Myles Marshall (Kingwood, TX) tested his 800m prowess against the big guns, racing in the Mel Sheppard Men's 1,000m Run against professional and collegiate competitors. The Harvard commit finished seventh overall in the field, clocking a new US #1 time of 2:24.43.
In perhaps the most shocking upset of the day, Lafayette, LA frosh Armand "Mondo" Duplantis defeated National High School Record holder Paulo Benavides (El Paso Franklin, TX) for the Boys Pole Vault title.
In doing so, Duplantis improved his own National Freshman Class Record to 16 feet, eight and three-quarter inches.
Benavides, who set the national standard at 17 feet, 11 inches just last weekend, cleared 16 feet, four and three-quarter inches to finish third overall at the competition. Anthony DelVescovo and Tommy Dial also cleared the same height, finishing second and fourth overall due to number of missed attempts.
Earlier in the day, Arlington (NY) won the New Balance Eastern Boys' 4x800m with a new US #1 of 7:47.29. The quartet entered the event with the second-slowest seed time of 8:14 - but that's what happens when you throw a fresh James Asselmeyer on the track. The senior split 1:50.88 on the third leg for the fastest split of the day - though note that Ryan McGorty anchored Chantilly, VA to a 7:51.64, fourth place finish with a 1:50.89 split. The other splits for Arlington were 2:00.29, 1:59.06 and 1:57.07 for the anchor.
Photos: HS Events by Steven Pisano
Photos: Pro Events by Steven Pisano
- 4x200 Meter Relay - Medgar Evers College Preparatory School 1:39.09; Cheltenham1:41.29; Taft Education Campus (NYC) 1:41.39; Pennsbury 1:46.06;
- 4x400 Meter Relay - Paul Robeson 3:47.57; Suffern 3:50.53; Uniondale 3:56.12;Medgar Evers College Preparatory School 3:49.27; Westhampton Beach 3:58.72; New Rochelle 3:59.54; Benjamin Cardozo 3:57.42; Hauppauge 3:59.27; Winslow Twp HS4:00.02; Brooklyn Tech 3:59.90; Connetquot 4:01.39; Newburgh Free Academy4:08.18; Taft Education Campus (NYC) 4:00.65; Huntington 4:03.00; Metuchen HS4:08.28; Elmont Memorial 4:04.79; Port Richmond 4:05.66; Fox Lane 4:08.90;
- 4x800 Meter Relay - Mamaroneck 9:09.36; Bronxville 9:10.16; Benjamin Cardozo9:17.61; Coginchaug High School 9:19.61; Burnt Hills-Ballston Lake 9:24.83;Shenendehowa 9:26.77; North Rockland 9:29.95; Colonie 9:33.53; Harborfields9:34.18;
- 55 Meter Dash - Brenessa Thompson (Medgar Evers College Preparatory School) 6.97; Lanae-tava Thomas (Rush Henrietta Sperry) 7.05; Chanel Brissett (Cheltenham) 7.07; Taylor Chapman (Pennridge) 7.07; Dasia Pressley (Pennsbury) 7.12; Quashira Mcintosh (Hope High School) 7.15; Karimah Senior (Medgar Evers College Preparatory School) 7.18;
- One Mile Run - Catherine Pagano (Northern Highlands Reg. HS) 4:50.66 SB; Olivia Sargent (Pennsbury) 4:51.02 SB; Paige Duca (Friends Academy (LI)) 4:52.79 SB;Danae Rivers (Wilbur Cross High School) 4:53.87 SB; Anna Flynn (Ursuline School) 5:01.41; Bella Burda (Arlington) 5:01.79; Julia *Stevenson (Hackley School) 5:02.10 SB; Mady Clahane (Cumberland Valley) 5:03.20; Rachel Suss (Metuchen HS) 5:03.32;Lisa Fajardo (Bishop Kearney (Brooklyn)) 5:09.48; Sarah Walker (Germantown Friends School) 5:15.24 SB;
- Pole Vault - Madeleine Schneider (Darien High School) 11-7.75; Sam Beyar (Monroe-Woodbury) 11-7.75; Katlyn Rymarzow (Pope John XXIII HS) 11-7.75 SB; Tesia Kempski (Bishop McDevitt) 11-1.75; Nicole Carroll (Tampa Catholic HS) 13-1.5 SB;Alex Howell (Westminster High School) 11-1.75 SB; Sabrina Anderson (Hunterdon Central HS) 11-1.75;
- Sprint Medley Relay - Kellenberg Memorial 4:08.22; Saint Anthony's 4:10.99; St. John the Baptist 4:13.88; Cardinal Spellman 4:16.96; Sacred Heart 4:23.38;
- Weight Throw - Alva Hicks (Classical High School) 53-2.5; Lysah Russell (Classical High School) 52-9.75; Mariah Mays (Rome Free Academy (RFA)) 52-0.75 SB; Monae Cooper (New Rochelle) 50-0; Jessica Jeffrey (New Rochelle) 47-4.5; Kristina Insingo(Holy Trinity) 46-6.75; Sochima Bishop (New Rochelle) 45-6; Oluwafun Yusuff(Classical High School) 42-3.75;
- 1,000 Meter Run - Myles Marshall (Kingwood High School) 2:24.43 SB;
- 4x200 Meter Relay - Newburgh Free Academy 1:27.64; D.C. Express Track Club, Inc.1:28.82; Holy Trinity 1:29.67; Cheltenham 1:28.37; Christ the King 1:29.76; DeMatha Catholic High School 1:28.55; Xavier 1:30.58; Mount Vernon 1:29.99; Samuel J. Tilden 1:33.08;
- 4x400 Meter Relay - Clara Barton 3:20.35; Huntington 3:20.63; North Rockland3:23.29; Paul Robeson 3:21.39; Half Hollow Hills West (HHH) 3:22.25; Mount Vernon3:23.33; Boys and Girls 3:22.10; Longwood 3:23.31; East Orange Campus 3:25.45;Samuel J. Tilden 3:25.21; New Rochelle 3:25.53; Ward Melville 3:27.64; Thomas Jefferson (NYC) 3:27.52; Beacon 3:29.60; Freeport 3:30.86; South Shore 3:29.35;
- 4x800 Meter Relay - Arlington 7:47.29; Saint Anthony's 7:52.67; Shenendehowa7:49.55; St. John the Baptist 7:57.89; Pennsbury 7:51.51; Fordham Prep 8:00.00;Chantilly 7:51.64; Xavier 8:04.61; Syosset 7:52.81; Chaminade 8:06.80; Penncrest7:58.94; St. Joseph by the Sea 8:14.88; Sweet Home 7:59.43; Pleasantville 8:00.67;Kingsway HS 8:08.25; Morris Hills HS 8:13.30;
- 5,000 Meter Run - Suguru Osako (Nissin Foods) 13:28.00 SB;
- 55 Meter Dash - Christian Brissett (Cheltenham) 6.41 SB; Darryl Haraway (DeMatha Catholic High School) 6.43; Osiris Nicholson (Church Farm School) 6.46; Anton Porter(Mount St. Michael) 6.49; Hassan Matthews (Amityville Memorial) 6.58; D'monte Woody (Freeport) 6.62;
- One Mile Run - James Burke (Port Jefferson) 4:11.25 SB; Jeremy Spiezio (Greenwich Central) 4:12.09; Mike Brannigan (Northport) 4:12.69 SB; Conor Lundy (Fordham Prep) 4:12.97; Aidan Tooker (Saratoga Springs) 4:13.71; Sam Ritz (Germantown Academy) 4:15.44; Kieran Tuntivate (Charter School of Wilmington) 4:16.42 SB;Benito Muniz (Carmel) 4:17.54; Joe Dragon (High Point Reg. HS) 4:18.43; John Rice(Xavier) 4:20.31; Luke Gavigan (Tappan Zee) 4:26.60;
- Pole Vault - Armand Duplantis (Lafayette High) 16-8.75 SB; Anthony Del Vescovo(Saint Patrick High School) 16-4.75 SB; Paulo Benavides (El Paso Franklin) 16-4.75;Tommy Dial (Jenks High School) 16-4.75; Derek Dibona (Warwick Valley ) 15-11;Ryan Wilkes (Valley View) 15-5; Ryan Herrera-Murphy (Iona Preparatory School) 14-11.25; Nick Neral (Century High School) 14-5.25; Matt Fay (Iona Preparatory School) 14-5.25; Chris Stone (Springfield Township (Montco)) 14-5.25 SB;
- Weight Throw - Adam Kelly (Barrington High School) 83-3.25 SB; Bobby Colantonio(Barrington High School) 76-7.25; Owen Russell (Pearl River) 72-8.5 SB; Mike Alvernaz (Barrington High School) 68-0.25; Eric Sheng (Syosset) 66-7.5; John Putnam(Massapequa) 60-10.75; Xavier Tyler (Iona Preparatory School) 59-7; Cameron Thompson (Lakeland/Panas) 59-4.5; Lutfi Pocesta (Susan E. Wagner) 55-4.25;