Girls just wanna run fast!
Allie Ostrander - 16:40 5K!
Destiny Collins - 15:58 3 Miles!
Highlights, coverage, and results from the top meets across the country on the weekend of September 6th. Check back all weekend long with updates on the top national performances in high school cross country.
- Seaside Invitational (CA) - US #14 ranked Destiny Collins of Great Oak (CA) got off to a blazing start to her 2014 XC season with a 15:58 3 mile performance! Then US #21 Marissa Williams almost beats her record in the next race with a 15:59 run in the senior girls race! The nationally ranked Great Oak girls and boys showcase their depth to wins.
- Aggie Invitational (UT) - US #3 Conner Mantz ties the nation's fastest time for 5K with a sizzling 14:53! The Davis boys (US #11) and girls (US #15) in national class form with nearly 5 boys under 16 and nearly 5 girls under 19 minutes.
- Palmer Invitational (AK) - US #5 Allie Ostrander continues to run out of this world times up in Alaska. The 10:03 two miler improved upon her nation leading 5K time with another performance well under 17 minutes in 16:40 on Saturday.
- Cherry Creek Invitational (CO) - A potential power shift in Colorado. With both teams missing one of their top two runners, US #11 Cherry Creek girls take down the US #4 Fort Collins girls 33-52. US #10 Lauren Gregory led Fort Collins way out front with a 37 second margin of victory in 18:23.
- Hinsdale Red Devil-Hornet Invitational (IL) - Defending Illinois 3A state champions in US #25 Hinsdale Central boys and US #13 Glenbard West show they are not ready to give up the top spot in their state this fall.
- Cal Poly Ponoma Bronco Invite (CA) - US #9 Austin Tamagno and his US #20 ranked Brea Olinda squad open up hitting on all cylinders with Tamagno winning under 15 minutes for 3 miles and team taking 7 of top 8 places.
- Monroe Parker Invitational (VA) - US #23 Lake Braddock boys dominate with 132 point margin of victory. Ryan McGorty of Chantilly becomes his family's third champion at Burke Lake Park with a 15:04 victory, while Amanda Swaak as 18:06 girls individual winner leads her James Madison squad as well to first.
- Hamilton County Invitational (IN) - Nationally ranked Carmel boys (US #16) and girls (US #9) roll in Tuesday invite. Carmel girls answer depth questions, while Carmel boys built for future success.
- Early Bird Invitational (MI) - US #4 Audrey Belf begins season with 17:33 5K and leads US #17 Birmingham Seaholm girls to a perfect score of 15 points taking top 6 places.
- PTXC (PA) - Colin Abert takes down the course record with his 15:21 5K performance, while Marissa Sheva comes out on top in duel with Mady Clahane.
- St. Vrain Invitational (CO) - US #9 Katie Rainsberger improves upon her 2013 winning time with a 18:01 5K performance, while defending Colorado 2A state champ Paul Roberts (1st, 15:17) and Zachary Alhamra (2nd, 15:19) push each other to outstanding times at elevation.
- Great Meadow Invitational (VA) - US #10 ranked Andrew Hunter starts his season off with a steamy 15:27 5K performance, while US #23 Oakton girls romp the field
- Billings Invitational (MT) - US #20 ranked Christina Aragon of Billings repeated as winner at her home invite with a 17:30 three mile performance.
- Mason Invitational (OH) - Carmel will race again in another major meet in same week facing top teams from Ohio and Kentucky. 10:12 2 miler Annie Heffernan & Foot Locker finalist Gabby Karas star individually for girls.
- Greg Wilson Classic (KS) - US #23 Stephen Mugeche (MO) blistered a 15:14 in Kansas, while Grace Klausen ran the nation's fastest time for girls at the 4K distance with a 14:12 victory.
- Injury Fund XC Festival (RI) - US #7 La Salle boys send out a stroning opening state meet with 4 guys under 16 minutes for 5K and taking top 10 places. La Salle girls equally impressive with 3 girls at 18:31 or faster and a perfect score performance.
- Southlake Carroll Invitational (TX) - US #25 Carter Blunt wins 3rd invite of season with cross country 5K PR of 15:02. Oklahoma's best in Jenks boys take down the best in Texas and US top 10 ranked Southlake Carroll on home course in a monumental win.
- Verona Invitational (WI) - Defending Wisconsin state champion, Olin Hacker, wins with a definitive 15:20.
- Great Cow Invitational (CA) - Sam Ortega and the US #14 Saugus (CA) girls make a statement with their individual and team wins.
- Terre Haute Savings Bank Invitational (IN) - Ben Veatch wins with a 15:44 to lead the US #16 Carmel boys to a team title.
- Eye Opener (SC) - Makenzie Jones leads Morristown-West (TN) girls to title, while Tanis Baldwin of West Henderson (NC) scores second major invitational win this season.
- Chickasaw Trails Invitational (AL) - Brentwood (TN) sweeps team titles with the boys led by the Hasty brothers.
- Seahawk Invitational (NC) - The US #22 ranked Green Hope girls breeze through the competition down in Wilmington, while Providence's Grace Sullivan repeats as individual champ with significant time drop from 2013.
- Lobo Cross Country Invitational (NM) - A slu of great teams from New Mexico have somewhat of an early season state meet to see who has put in the work this summer.
- Cougar XC Challenge (FL) - US #15 Sukhi Khosla leads his Leon squad to a breeze perfect sweep of top 6 places in Talllahase.
- Randolph Invitational (NJ) - First major XC meet of season for New Jersey. Craig Corti (15:56) of Wallkill Valley and Sierra Castaneda (18:43) of West Morris post fastest times of the evening.
- Astronaut Invitational (FL) - The Winter Park girls repeat their team win from last year led by a freshmen as their #1 and race winner in Rafaella Gibbons (18:27 5K).