First major wave of state championship meets this weekend with the Colorado state meet arguably being the best of the bunch.
Highlights, coverage, and results from the top meets across the country on the weekend of October 25th. Check back all weekend long with updates on the top national performances in high school cross country.
- Mt. SAC Invitational (CA) - US #11 Austin Tamagno breaks course record in 14:23, which was previously held by two runners at 14:24 in pulling away from Robert Brandt, Phillip Rocha, and Caleb Webb. Defending Cali state champ Fiona O'Keeffe is now back with her 16:29 win! The Great Oak girls (US #1) and boys (US #4) dominate team sweepstakes, but now concern over the status of US #3 Destiny Collins for the rest of season with injury causing her to finish 45th place.
- Colorado State Championships (CO) - Never count out the Fort Collins girls! Back on top of Colorado after defeating US #8 Monarch (2nd) by 5 points and US #19 Cherry Creek (4th) and led by 5A race champ US #11 Lauren Gregory (18:55). With Elise Cranny graduated, US #13 Katie Rainsberger wins her first state title in the fastest time of day at 18:50 from the 4A race. US #16 Paul Roberts posts the fastest boys time of the day in the 2A race with a 16:13, while US #18 Zachary Alharma struggled to finish in the 5A race to an ultimate 75th place finish.
- Connecticut Class Championships (CT) - The US #2 ranked runners in the country between Hannah Debalsi and Darien Osteberg won their Connecticut class championship meets convincingly with Debalsi having the fastest time of the meet by 48 seconds in 18:14 (5K), while Ostberg was over a minute ahead of his next competitor in the Class L race with a 15:21 victory. The Amity boys come out on top in the results merge by a sixth runner tiebreaker over the Danbury boys with both having 163 points, but had more wiggle room in the head to head over Danbury by 5 points in the Class LL race. The Tolland girls were clearly the best team of the meet averaging 19:29 as a group with nearly their entire top 5 under 20 on challenging Wickham Park course and sweeping the top 5 places in the Class M Race.
- Indiana Semi-State Championships (IN) - In their first head to head of the season, the US #3 Carmel girls put the US #10 Avon girls in their place as far as Carmel remaining the top team in Indiana with a 40-72 pt win at their sem-state meet including 4 girls under 19 minutes for 5K and among top 11 places. The US #21 Carmel boys won their last meet before the state meet as well while getting their #1 runner Ben Veatch back and he won in a swift time of 15:10 and significant margin of 20 seconds over Zac Snider. The West Lafayette boys will be Carmel's toughest test next week and they breezed through their semi-state meet led by race winner Cooper Williams and 5 guys in the top 12. US #4 Anna Rohrer continues to drop her time in each race coming back from injury including a 17:34 season best win at her semi-state meet.
- Michigan Regionals (MI) - Grant Fisher and Audrey Belf continue their march onto the state meet.
- Minnesota Sectionals (MN)
- Montana State Championships (MT) - US #12 Makena Morley makes history in becoming a 4-time state champ while setting the course record in 16:33 to hand off the baton to her freshmen sister Bryn in second at 16:58. US #10 Annie Hill wins a separate class race uncontested in 17:11, while the Bozeman and Hellgate girls have a tight battle for best team in Montana. Jonathan Eastwood and Aidan Reed each win individual titles and post matching times of 15:22 in separate races, while Logan Morley cements a big day for his household in winning the Class C title.
- Nebraska State Championships (NE)
- North Carolina Regionals (NC)
- North Dakota State Championships (ND)
- Ohio Regionals (OH) - Michael Vitucci at 15:31 and Annie Heffernan at 18:14 are the leading performances from Ohio Regional Weekend at 4 different sites.
- Pennsylvania Districts (PA)
- Rhode Island Class Championships (CT)
- South Dakota State Championships (SD)
- Texas District Meets (TX)
- Wyoming State Championships (WY) - 4A boys champion Chris Henry of Laramie in 15:33 and 3A girls champion Calbi Aussman of Newcastle in 18:30 meet record are the fastest winners of the day at Wyoming State meet. The Jackson Hole girls, winners of the 3A race, came out on top in the results merge with their 19:59 team average and 51 second top 5 spread. The Laramie boys behind Henry, were the class of the meet with 6 guys under 17 minutes in the 4A race.
- Utah State Championships (UT) - The US #2 American Fork boys win their 6th straigh title with a state meet record team time and average (15:29). The US #18 American Fork girls make it a clean sweep of 5A titles as they upset US #7 Davis. US #3 Conner Mantz tries to race injured, but falls in final straightaway with Josh Collins picking up win in 15:06 in 4A boys race. US #18 Lucy Biles wins her 3rd straight Utah state title matching her 2013 time in 18:13.
- Vermont State Championships (VT) - The Champlain Valley Union girls maintained their dominance in Vermont winning their 6th straight state title and 11th of last 12 years as they had 3 individuals among the top 10 fastest of the meet led by Sophia Gorman (2nd, 19:44) in the Division 1 race, while race winner Katharine Ogden of Stratton Mountain was the fastest of the day in 19:31. Harwood Union senior Sam Nishi was the lone runner under 17 minutes on the challenging Thetford Academy 5K course in winning the Division 2 title, while the South Burlington boys denied the Champlain Valley program a sweep of the team titles taking a 3 point win in Division 1.
Check out our national database of XC stats as the results pour in!