2013 Cross Country Highlights
Werner out to a big lead, hung on for the win in the girls championship race.
The boys pack was tight and it came down to the wire with Carmel taking the team win.
- Girls Championship Race: Taylor Werner (Ste. Genevieve MO) ran away from the gun to win the girls race in muddy and very windy conditions in a time of 18:36.2. She survived a late race scare from Jamie Kempfer (Festus MO), who finished 2nd in 18:42.1, but was never really in a position to lose this race. Mary Abramson finished 3rd in 18:48.5 and Kelcy Welch (Carmel IN) was 4th in 18:48.6. Carmel (IN) girls won overall with 66 points and will head to nationals along with Naperville North in 2nd with 125 points. Palatine (IL) girls were 3rd with 148 points and Columbus North (IN) girls were 4th with 156 points.
- Boys Championship Race: Evan Stifel (St. Xavier OH) did his best to get his team to the national dance, winning overall with a time of 16:03.70. Jesse Reiser (McHenry IL) finished 2nd overall in 16:11.10. Zach Panning finished 3rd in 16:16.30 and Evan Schulte was 4th in 16:16.70. Carmel (IN) won the boys team race with 103 points and St. Xavier (OH) finished 2nd with 120 points as both teams are off to nationals! Hinsdale Central (IL), 199 points, and Columbus North (IN), 207 points, were 3rd and 4th.
Morley gave it her best shot but Efraimson (yellow) proved to be too strong in the end. (Photo by Rick Blanchard)
Efraimson and Morley crushed the field on the way to a 1-2 finish. (Photo by Scott Shaffer)
Tanner Anderson won the boys race with a quick 15:19 clocking. (Photo by Scott Shaffer)
Top-21 boys overall. (Photo by Scott Shaffer)
Gig Harbor boys won overall to qualify for nationals. (Photo by Scott Shaffer)
- Girls Championship Race: It was Alexa Efraimson (WA) and Makena Morley (MT) who dominated this race from the gun, pulling away before the first mile. Efraimson pulled off the win with a course record 17:27.1 clocking as Morley finished in 17:36.0. Ella Donaghu (OR) was 3rd in 17:59.7. Bozeman (MT) ran for the kill, scoring just 78 points to win the girls race and secure a nationals berth. Bellarmine Prep (WA) snagged the other auto berth with 133 points.
- Boys Championship Race: Tanner Anderson (WA) had his hands all over this one, winning with a fast 15:19.4 clocking. Elijah Armstrong (ID) proved his mettle by finishing 2nd overall with a quick 15:24.1 clocking. Gig Harbor (WA) crushed everyone to earn their NXN berth with 68 points and a 16:12 average. North Central (WA) earned the other auto berth by finishing 2nd with 111 points and a 16:13 average.
Brian Cook ruled the day on the boys side.
Jessica Lawson surprised on the girls side.
- Complete Feds Recap Article
- Photos by Kyle Brazeil
- Race Videos and Video Interviews
- LIVE Updates
- Complete Meet Entries
- In the boys race Brian Cook (Pearl River) goes #8 All-Time at Bowdoin to win with a time of 15:45.2. Thomas Slattery (Chaminade) finished 2nd in 15:56.3 in a sprint finish with Josh Dyrland (Irondequoit), also with the same time. Liverpool dominated the team race, though not surprisingly, with a score of 75 points.
- There was a bit of a team upset on the girls side as John Jay Cross River took down Saratoga Springs in a nail-biter 153 to 154! Jessica Lawson, a frosh from Corning, won overall with a #23 all-time clocking of 18:16.2. Alex Cooper (Rush-Henrietta) was 2nd in 18:22.7 and Megan Reilly (Warwick Valley) finished 3rd in 18:27.4.
Caroline Alcorta celebrates as she crosses the line in course record time.
Louis Colson dominated 5A with a time of 15:06, fastest of all groups.
- Complete Coverage Article for 6A-5A-3A
- Photos by Jon Fleming
- Photos by Mary Ann Magnant
- Photos by Steven Pham
- Photos by Brandon Miles
- Race Videos and Video Interviews
- Complete Meet Preview Coverage and Pre-Meet Stories
- In the 3A girls race Blacksburg rolled over everyone with just 35 points off of a 50 second spread. Bonnie Angermeier led the way with her winning time of 18:37.
- Caroline Alcorta (West Springfield) smashed the CR with a huge 17:13 victory in the girls 6A race. Oakton won the team race with 55 points.
- Jack Stoney (Oakton) won the boys 6A race with a quick 15:24 clocking. Chantilly won the team race with 85 points.
- Louis Colson (Thomas Edison) won the 5A boys race with a super fast 15:06 clocking, 30 seconds up on Ryan Thomas (Albermarle), 2nd in 15:36.
CBA absolutely crushed it with the top-5 all near the front in NP-A. (Photo by MaroonNews)
Frosh Briana Gess ran to an impressive solo victory in Group 2. (Photo by MaroonNews)
- Complete Boys Groups Coverage Central
- Complete Girls Groups Coverage Central
- Photos by Robert Kellert
- Photos by SJPixShooter
- Photos by MaroonNews
- Video Interviews
- LIVE Updates
- Group Meet Coverage Program
- In the boys Non-Public A race Christian Brothers Academy put 5 in the top-8 to win with 24 points and a 16:05 average off of a 18 second spread. Don Bosco had fight in them, finishing with 63 points for 2nd. Mike McClemens won overall for CBA with a time of 15:56.
- In Group 3 boys action Tom O'Neill (Middletown North) won with a quick 15:26 clocking, the fastest on the day.
- Josette Norris (Tenafly) won in Group 3 with a quick 18:12 clocking.
- In girls Group 2 action Haddonfield frosh Briana Gess won with a 18:16 clocking.
Nick Carleo won D2 in 14:15, the fastest time of the day.
Kaley Richards won D1 in 16:54, the fastest girls time of the day.
- Photos coming
- State Recap Article
- Video Interviews and Race Footage
- LIVE Updates
- Complete Information and Preview Page
- In boys D2 action Pembroke boys absolutely crushed it with 49 points and a 15:08.60 team average. Nick Carleo (Newburyport) won in 14:15 over the 2.9 mile course. Paul Hogan (Burlington) finished 2nd in 14:21.
- In boys D1 action Gabe Montague (Newton North) won with a time of 14:27. Mansfield won the team title over Lowell 105 to 134.
- In girls D1 action Needham won over Lincoln-Sudbury by a score of 83 to 109. Bishop Feehan was 3rd with 126 points. Abbie McNulty required medical attention during the race and was unable to finish. Kaley Richards (Lowell) won individually with a time of 16:54.
- Olilvia Lantz (Manchester Essex) won a close one in D2 action over Catalina Dominick (Danvers) 16:56 to 16:59.
CIF Southern Section Prelims, CA
- David Luna (Indio) won Division 3 with the fastest time of the day, a quick 14:36 clocking out out-duel Austin Tamagno (Brea Olinda), 14:36 as well. Brea Olinda won the team title with a 76:14 team time, fastest on the day and #3 All-Time according to PrepCalTrack.
- Sarah Baxter (Simi Valley) was fastest on the day as she cruised to a winning time of 16:31 in Division 2. Great Oak was the fastest girls team with a team time of 89:55.