2012 Cross Country Highlights
Missed from last weekend: Cleveland XC Invitational, NM
- Luis Martinez (Sue Cleveland) is tearing up courses this fall and should make the rankings next week. He won the varsity race with a time of 15:23.85 for the 5k race over teammate Aaron Flores, 15:51.36. Sue Cleveland swept the top 3 spots and put 6 in the top 9 to dominate the team race with only 18 points scored and a average of 15:56.66.
- Amy-Eloise Neale, Glacier Peak, scorched the earth at Sundodger, winning the race with a very fast 16:31.12 clocking on the 4922m course, close to a minute ahead of 2nd place!
- In boys Varsity action Bernie Montoya (Cibola) absolutely crushed it with the win in 15:32, nearly 90 seconds ahead of the next fastest finisher!
- Monica Huston (Cibola) also dominated the girls action with her win in 18:49, close to 2 minutes faster than 2nd place.
- Arcadia looks absolutely dominate this year, winning the team sweepstakes with 54 points to 144 for the closest competitor, Madera South with 144 points. Arcadia had a 32 second spread and averaged 14:44 for their 1-5 runners! Bryan Fernandez (Dos Pueblos) won the individual crown with the fastest time of the day, a 14:19 clocking. Omar Caro (Norte Vista) was 2nd with a time of 14:24.
- Sarah Baxter (Simi Valley) won the girls individual crown with a meet record and blazing time of 16:12! Hagen Reedy (Buchanan) was 2nd with a time of 16:17. Great Oak won the girls team sweepstakes with 93 points and took down Simi Valley, 113 points. The squad from Great Oak had a 17:24 average as well.
Friday Night Highlights
- Austin Goins (Canyon) was the fastest boy on Friday night with a time of 14:46 over the 3-mile layout. Andres Velasco (Downey) was 2nd in 14:50. Yucaipa was the fastest boys team with a time of 1:18:08.
- Tori Dutchover (Yucaipa) was the fastest girl with a time of 17:06. Yucaipa scored a narrow win over Canyon in the girls team race 1:29:48 to 1:30:00.
- American Fork (UT) rolled over Davis (UT) in this in-state rivalry among national powers. AF put 4 in the top-9 overall to secure the win with 36 points to Davis' 63 point score for 2nd. In a look at how good both teams are however, American Fork averaged 15:38.16 per man with a 36 second spread while Davis averaged 15:52.10 with a 37 second spread! Wow! Conner Mantz (Skyview) won the individual title with a time of 15:03.
- In the girls varsity race Davis dominated over Ogden 33 to 56. Ellie Child (Davis) won the race with a time of 18:03.80.
- The girls varsity race was just sick this year! Julia Bos (Grand Rapids Christian) battled Erin Finn (West Bloomfield) and came out on top 17:20 to 17:35! And the team race was just as amazing with Grosse Pointe South putting the full squad out there to win with 86 points and an 18:29 average with 4 runners at 18:40 or under. Hannah Meier was 3rd overall with a time of 17:50 and Haley Meier was 7th in 18:11.
- In the boys varsity race Waterford Mott looked good, winning with a score of 191 points over Saline (same score) with a better 6th runner (99 to 114). Nathan Burnand led the winning team with his individual win in 15:21. Tanner Hinkle (Mason) was 2nd in 15:23.
Jacob Thomson celebrates a big win in KY. (Photo by Jonathan Grooms)
- Photo Albums: Jonathan Grooms | dgconstant
- Video Coverage (includes race footage and interviews!)
- Coverage Central Article
- LIVE updates
- Preview Video
- A big upset in the boys varsity action as Jacob Thomson (KY) takes down Jacob Burcham (WV) 14:52.64 to 15:04.42! It was a thrilling race as both runners found each other off the start and were through 2 miles in 9:40 together. St. Xavier boys defeated Carmel (IN) by a score of 79 to 81. St. Xavier had an impressive 31 second 1-5 spread but Carmel put up a 6 second spread from 15:46.70 to 15:49.82!!
- Bailey Davis (Assumption) won the girls race in 17:46.06 over teammate Katherine Receveur in 17:47.14. Despite the 1-2 punch Carmel (IN) girls dominated with 34 points to 82 for Assumption. Carmel also boasted a 22 second spread.
Taylor Werner rolling on yet another weekend! (Photo by Andrew Everett)
- Photo Album by Andrew Everett
- Video Coverage: Girls Varsity Finish | Taylor Werner | Nicole Mello | All Videos
- Coverage Article by Paul Everett
- Taylor Werner (St. Genevieve), who burst onto the scene with a 16:59 clocking last weekend posted a time of 18:28 today on a course where the previous best time was 19:25! She also beat 2011 Foot Locker Finalist Nicole Mello (Columbia Hickman) by 54 seconds.
Colter flying in CO. (Photo by Lyle Knudson)
- In the girls Division 1 race Jordyn Colter (Cherry Creek) raced out to a huge lead and torched the course with a time of 17:01, 51 seconds faster than she won here last year! Erin Hooker (Fort Collins) was 2nd in 17:38. Fort Collins looked good, winning over Monarch 63 to 73.
- Ricky Faure (Rock Springs) won the Division 1 boys race with a time of 15:31 to repeat from last year, when he won with a time of of 15:37. Fairview won the team crown over Fort Collins 88 to 112.
Cash taking it out hard. (Photo by Art Landson)
- Alli Cash (Shawnee Mission West) rocked another 4k race, torching the competition with a time of 13:16, nearly 2 minutes ahead of the next finisher and most impressively a minute faster than her time last year!
Raines closes hard for victory in TX. (Photo by Rhonda Ellis)
- The Woodlands boys were dominate, scoring 36 points with a 15:48.72 team average. Brigham Hedges led the team with his individual win in 15:10.36.
- The Woodlands girls were actually more dominate, putting up 25 points with an 18:37.39 team average. Sandie Raines (Humble Kingwood) won the race easily with a time of 17:32.70 and Woodlands took the next three spots to ensure a low point total.
Brenda Lopez leads the way through the mud. (Photo by Alex Aldaco)
- Austin Wells (San Antonio Clark) won the boys varsity Gold race with a swift 15:26.50 clocking. Anthony Gallardo (Antonian) was 2nd in 15:38.40.
- In the girls varsity Gold race Brenda Lopez (San Benito) won with a time of 18:24.60 to narrowly defeat Devin Clark (Spring Branch) who was 2nd in 18:24.80.
- NBON 5k champ Ashley Erba (Warsaw) found herself in 2nd place with a time of 17:25.10 in the girls varsity AAA race and even went under the course reocrd. Anna Rohrer (Mishawaka) won the race in 17:14.10 to crush the course record and establish herself as a real contender for the rest of the season!
- Jacob Poyner (Warsaw) won the boys race with a time of 15:35.70.
- Kaylee Flanagan (Lake Park) and Madeline Perez (Glenbard West) lit up Detweiller Park with 1-2 times of 16:21 and 16:29 in the girls Varsity race for the 3-mile course! Flanagan's time set the All-Time course record, eclisping the 2010 mark of 16:22 by Kayla Beattie (Woodstock)! Glenbard West took out Lake Park in team action 115 to 142.
- Garrett Lee (Belvidere North) led a quick finish in boys Varsity action with a time of 14:27 while Patrick Perrier (O'Fallon) was 2nd in 14:28. Tyler Yunk (Belvidere North) was 3rd in 14:36. York dominated the team race with 93 points, a 33 second spread and an average of 14:56.40!
- Dowling Catholic boys rolled to the win with 65 points, 96 up on 2nd place, with an average of 16:27 and a 1-5 spread of just 22 seconds. Josh Evans (Linn-Mar) won the individual title with a time of 15:52.
- Dowling Catholic also won the girls crown with 70 points and a 15:10 average for the 4k course. Stephanie Jenks (Linn-Mar) won individually with a time of 14:10.
- Maria Hauger (Shakopee) ran a blazing 13:37.6 4k in temperatures near 80 degrees to win the girls varsity race over Danielle Anderson, 14:04.3.
Colin Godwin tracking Bakri Abushouk on the final straight. (Photo by Joseph Bond)
- In the girls Championship race Eliza Decker scored a big win over Darby Middlebrook 17:44.2 to 18:02.8. Cardinal Gibbons won the team battle over Blacksburg (VA) 115 to 134.
- The excitement continued in the boys Championship race as Colin Godwin nipped Bakri Abushouk at the line 15:13.3 to 15:13.4! Blacksburg (VA) won the team title over Midlothian (VA) 57 to 147. Blacksburg put up an impressive 15:55.76 1-5 average!
Shearn stalks Russell before making his move. (Photo by Don Rich)
- Photo Albums: Don Rich | Patty Morgan |
- Video Interviews: O'Hara Coach Tom Kennedy | Brendan Shearn | Kara Steinke | Tony Russell
- Preview and full PA coverage here
- Brendan Shearn (North Schuylkill) won the boys Championship race with a quick 15:41.40 clocking to nip Tony Russell (West Chester Henderson) at the line as both were timed the same. The time ranks in the top-5 all-time on the course. Cardinal O'Hara won the team crown easily with 36 points, a 16:15.08 average on a tough course, and an impressive 32 second 1-5 spread.
- In girls action Kara Steinke (Methacton) won the Championship race easily with a time of 18:49.30, close to a minute up on 2nd place. Lenape Regional won the team race over Hereford 65 to 68.
Daniel Salas rolls in the boys race.
Julie Wollrath cruises to the win.
- Complete Coverage Article
- Photo Albums: Donald Lamb | Todd Grasley | Jason Byrne
- Video Coverage (Interviews and Race Footage)
- Preview video and top individuals (Featuring Jim Ryun!)
- In boys Varsity action Daniel Salas (Trinity Prep) won the title with a time of 16:42.60 on a rather tough layout for Florida complete with hills and sand. Holy Trinity Academy defeated Trinity Prep by a score of 73 to 84.
- In girls Varsity action Julie Wollrath (Holy Trinity) rolled to the win with a time of 19:18.60 to lead her team to the victory as they scored 59 points to edge Olympia, 64 points.
Belen Jesuit dominated the Dew. (Photo by Digital Pixel)
- Avery Lopez (Belen Jesuit) won the boys varsity race with a time of 15:47.10. Danny Fernandez (Miami Columbus) was 2nd in 15:59.74. Belen Jesuit Prep won the team crown with just 31 points.
- Alexa Cruz (St. Thomas Aquinas) won the girls varsity race with a time of 18:52.21 to lead her team to the win with a point total of 55.
Ronan Invitational, MT
- In boys varsity action Zach Perrin (Flathead) rolled to the win with a time of 14:28 over the 3 mile layout to win by 47 seconds. Missoula Hellgate won the team crown with 60 points over Flathead, 63.
- In girls varsity action Makena Morley (Bigfork) won the race with a time of 17:14. Hamilton took the team title over Missoula Hellgate 66-66 on a 6th runner tiebreak.
Grayson Reid charging hard for the finish. (Photo by Ryan Kelly)
Carolina Alcorta is all focus on the course. (Photo by Ryan Kelly)
- In the boys Varsity A race Grayson Reid (Deep Run) won the race a dipped under 16 with a winning time of 15:59. Andrew Gaiser (Forest Park) was 2nd in 16:06. Albert Einstein (MD) won the team title with 117 points.
- In the girls Varsity A race Carolina Alcorta (West Springfield) won with a time of 18:20 over Katie Fortner (Cave Spring) in 18:37. West Springfield won the team crown with 92 points.
- In the Junior girls race Emma Abrahamson (La Costa Canyon) won with the fastest time of the day, a 15:31 clocking over the 2.75 mile course. Teammate Kelly Lawson won the Senior girls race with a time of 15:41, 2nd fastest on the day.
- In the boys Senior race Porter Reddish (Vista Murietta) won with a swift 15:17 clocking over Austin Esposito (Rancho Cucamonga), 15:26. Tal Braude (Torrey Pines) won the boys Junior race with a clocking of 15:26.
North Allegheny showing off their depth. (Photo by Phil Grove)
- North Allegheny (PA) looks real strong as they won with 93 points and a 16:35.50 average and a 40 second 1-5 spread. Nick Elswick (Chardon) won the individual title with a time of 15:39.83.
- In the boys JR/SR race Justin Naselli (Mendham) won with the fastest time of the day in 14:47.53. Westfield had the best JR/SR combo with 30 points scored.
- In the girls JR/SR race Mackenzie Barry (Mendham) won with a swift 16:34.32 clocking as teammate Abby Seel was 2nd in 16:54.67. Mendham had the strongest upperclassmen with 37 points. In the girls Soph race Eve Glasergreen (North Hunterdon) won with an impressive 17:07.78 clocking.
- In the boys race Shawn Wilson (Cherokee) won the race with a time of 9:26 over Nick Costello (Delsea) 9:38 and Alex Giacco (Tatnall) 9:42.
- In the girls race Julie Williams (Tatnall) won with a time of 11:12 over teammate Reagan Anderson, 11:27.
- In the boys race Louis Corgliano (Hammonton) won with a time of 9:40 over Jack Hagood (Tatnall) in 9:48.
- In the girls race Courtney Smith (Unionville) won with a time of 11:11.
- In the boys race Stephen Garrett (Tatnall) won with a time of 9:48.
- In the girls race Olivia Young (Unionville) won the race with a time of 11:13.
- Troy Reeder (Hamilton Southeastern) won the boys varsity race with a quick time of 15:19.8.
- Malyka Abramson (Avon) won the girls varsity race with a time of 17:51.4 over MacKenzie Caldwell (Columbus North) who was 2nd in 17:52.2.