* As a senior, Udodi Onwuzurike claimed the VA Showcase 55m title in 2021
- - -
Before the Birmingham Brother Rice (MI) graduate was an NCAA champion in the 200m, Udodi Onwuzurike claimed the 2021 VA Showcase title with a U.S. No. 1 time in the 55m.
When he was a senior in high school, Onwuzurike lined up amongst the nation's fastest sprinters including Nyckoles Harbor, Terrell Robinson Jr., Laurenz Colbert, and Gavin Schurr. On that weekend, Onwuzurike didn't have the quickest start, but he was able to use his top-end speed to get him across the finish line with the fastest time in the nation.
He was able to stop the clock with a lifetime best of 6.25, improving on his 6.34 performance in the prelims.
After his standout performance in Virginia, Onwuzurike won a World U20 200m title for Nigeria weeks before beginning his collegiate career at Stanford University. As a Cardinal, he earned numerous All-American honors in the sprints. Recently, he claimed the 2023 NCAA 200m title with a 19.84 in Austin. Last year, he also went 9.98 to finish sixth in the finals of the 100m.
Onwuzurike decided to forgo the remaining two years of his collegiate eligibility and sign a professional contract with adidas in November.
- VA Showcase 2024 Meet Page
- Udodi Onwuzurike, NCAA 200m Champion And Stanford Record-Holder, Goes Pro
- What Udodi Onwuzurike's Success At U20s Means For Stanford
- Behind Udodi Onwuzurike's Road To Success At World U20s