* Lex Young (left) earned National Boys Performer Of The Week in week 13 for his win at the CIF D2 state meet; Steven West (right) grabs a nomination in week 14 for his win at the Garmin RunningLane XC Championships.
- - -
The week 13 National Performer Of The Week Poll saw one of the nation's premiere distance talents secure the performer award, along with a state title.
Newbury Park senior Lex Young ran his way to a CIF Division 2 state championship in 14:27.87 for 5k, equaling a 202 speed rating and his first-ever cross country state individual title of his prominent high school career. That individual win also helped Newbury Park to yet another team title with a dominant showing, sweeping the top three individual spots led by Lex.
Lex earned 37-percent of the vote to take home the national honor, which was his first poll win of the season.
Now, in a wild stretch of action in week 14, two national championships saw athletes emerge to secure titles and top performances.
Vote below for you National Boys Performer Of The Week for meets contested Nov. 28 - Dec. 4.
Aaron Sahlman, Newbury Park (CA): Earned the individual title at Team Nationals with a course record of 14:44.5, helping Newbury Park in the process to a win on the team front. That also gave Sahlman the fastest speed rating seen this season of 204.
Steven West, Sandia (NM): Took home a national title in the boys gold race at the Garmin RunningLane XC Championships, placing first in 15:09.3 for a 194 speed rating.
Sam Hansen, Woods Cross (UT): Won the Champs Sports West Regional in 15:20 for 5k to earn a ticket to nationals. Hansen's performance also registered a 193 speed rating.
Daniel Simmons, American Fork (UT): Placed second at Team Nationals behind a come-from-behind kick to the finish, crossing the line in 14:51.7 for a 202 speed rating.
Tyrone Gorze, Crater (OR): Finished third at Team Nationals in 14:53.8 to earn a 201 speed rating, his third-straight speed-rated performance listed at 198 or higher.
Wyatt Haughton, Shawneee Mission East (KS): Took second at the Garmin RunningLane XC Championships in 15:12 for a 193 speed rating.
- Week 1: Sage Wilde, Liberty North (MO)
- Week 2: Sage Wilde, Liberty North (MO)
- Week 3: Connor Ackley, Hilliard Davidson (OH)
- Week 4: Drew Griffith, Butler (PA)
- Week 5: Brian DiCola, Hatboro Horsham (PA)
- Week 6: Hunter Jones, Benzie Central (MI)
- Week 7: Noah Breker, Robbinsdale Armstrong (MN)
- Week 8: Adam Furman, Tri-Valley (NY)
- Week 9: Drew Griffith, Butler (PA)
- Week 10: Sage Wilde, Liberty North (MO)
- Week 11: Hunter Jones, Benzie Central (MI)
- Week 12: Collin Gilstrap, Monroe-Woodbury (NY)
- Week 13: Lex Young, Newbury Park (CA)