- - -
As we get ready to close the year that was and prepare for 2020, we would be remiss if we didn't look back at the remarkable moments that made 2019 special.
Over the course of the year, excellence was a theme that never quite took a back seat, with athletes setting records and winning championships, teams owning seasons and capitalizing in big ways, and others going on to achieve fame beyond just their track and field roots.
It was a wild season of success, adversity, records, fast times and viral fame.
Editors from across MileSplit's national network saw it all go down.
We recap the top 10 craziest and heart-pounding moments from start to finish in 2019.
Before we get to the finalists, here's a list of stories that just missed the cut:
- Zofia Dudek's Foot Locker Nationals win
- Morgan Smalls' incredible high jump season
- Saratoga Springs' surprising national cross country championship
- The distance duel between Nico Young and Cole Sprout
- Chloe Cunliffe's incredible national record spree in the pole vault
- Fort Bend Marshall breaks 40 seconds in the 4x100
- The Pennsylvania duel that just kept giving: Taryn Parks refused to lose in the mile and 1,600m, both indoors and out
Check out the top stories in the slideshow.