Breaking Down California's CIF State Track and Field Championships
* Jason Gomez out kicks Jett Charvet to the line to win his first CIF title in the 800m
- - -
By Jeff Parenti - MileSplit California - Link
Where do we start with the 100th CIF-State Track & Field Championships?
How about with a pair of tiny redheaded twins from the western Sierra Nevada foothills who nearly won a girls team title all by their amazing little selves? Don't let the innocent demeanor of Maddy and Elena Denner disarm you. On the track, in the distances, they are calculated and relentless and feed off of each other as only twins can.
How about with a boys team champion that not only didn't win its league, but wasn't even the runner-up. Of course the Southwestern League isn't your normal high school track league and the third place team from that league, Murrieta Mesa, had an unstoppable, indefatigable star by the name of Christian Shakir-Ricks.
How about Norwegian pole vaulter Sondre Guttormsen, who set a meet record in his speciality and also snatched a silver medal in the 110 hurdles?
How about a girls team champion, Gardena Serra, that scored in five events but had just one win?
How about the boys sprints where state leader Asani Hampton (Yucaipa) was fast but not fast enough to hold off UCLA-bound football running back Kazmier Allen (Tulare) who won by a fraction of a second in 10.44 (0.7).
How about those who defended titles from 2017 and those who did not? Beginning with the defenders:
- Sean Lee (Trabuco Hills/SS) in the high jump (7-2)
- CJ Stevenson (Great Oak/SS) in the triple jump
- Abigail Burke (Riverside Poly/SS) in the high jump (a co-champ this time with Long Beach Wilson sophomore Rachel Glenn, as odd as co-champ sounds) after clearing a PR 5-10
- Maddy Denner (Oak Ridge/SJ) in the 1600 (read further for more on this race)
Those who did not:
- Ariyonna Augustine (Long Beach Poly/SS), who wasn't able to defend titles in the 100m and 200m, although a medalist in both (3rd in the 100m (11.65.1/2), 2nd in the 200m, losing her balance in her final couple strides and sprawling over the line in 23.70/0.3)
- Jett Charvet (Brentwood Heritage/NC) who was leading and then he wasn't at the end of the 800m, getting 2nd to a 54.132-second negative split finish from Jason Gomez (Westmont/CC) to win in 1:50.21 (CA #1, US #4). Charvet PRd in 1:50.79 (CA #2, US #12) for the silver.
- Alyssa Brewer, (San Ramon California/NC) who has a foot injury that prevented her from going for a third consecutive title in the 800m.
- Page 1: Ohio's State Championships Were Downright Crazy!
- Page 2: Trevor Foley Drops US No. 1 in the 5K At Music City
- Page 3: Breaking down Wisconsin's state championships
- Page 4: Breaking down Indiana's state championships
- Page 5: Breaking down Michigan's state championships
- Page 6: Breaking down California's state championships
- Page 7: Breaking down Group 5A/6A action from Virginia