By Kyle Brazeil, Story link -- MileSplitNY
Sammy Watson, the most sought-after women's track and field recruit in the Class of 2017, has decided to continue her career at Texas A&M.
The Rush-Henrietta (NY) High star made a formal announcement at noon on Thursday during a signing ceremony at her school.
This comes after a long recruiting process that saw her take official visits to Texas A&M, LSU, and Southern California.
Watson holds numerous state and national records. She performed the trifecta this winter, breaking national records in the 600m, 800m, and 1000m. She's already a member of the Rush-Henrietta squad that broke the indoor national record in the sprint medley relay.
Outdoors wasn't much different, as she is NY No. 2 in the 800m, NY No. 3 in the 1500m, and NY No. 7 in the 400m all-time.
Her sister, Ceara Watson, currently runs for the Arkansas, and it was originally thought she might join her sister there. Watson also has a younger brother in seventh grade who runs track.
Watson was also reportedly considering going pro.
Watson joins Olympian Sydney McLaughlin (Union Catholic, NJ), who signed with the University of Kentucky in November, as a major talent who has chosen continue her track and field career in college. Both have stated the college experience is important to their development.
- Bernardo, Rachel A&M Consolidated TX
- Gittens, Tyra Ensworth TN
- Goff, Theo Conroe Oak Ridge TX
- Kerley, Virginia Taylor TX
- Lindquist, Megan New Braunfels Canyon TX
- Madubuike, Julia McKinney North TX
- Myers, Michelle Houston High School TN
- Oladipo, Gabe Fort Bend Hightower TX
- Purifoy, Kylie Crandall TX
- Seagraves, Zephyr College Station High TX
- Smith, Kennedy The Woodlands TX
- Yerrow, Ryan Katy TX