Stop the Madness
04/16/2009 9:21:29 AM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
from the Tallahassee paper: "Florida High's Ena Johnson won the 100-meter hurdles (14.98) and 300 hurdles (44.82) and also appeared to win the 100 meters. But her district-winning time was disqualified because she raised her arm at the finish line, and by rule her gesture was considered unsportsmanlike. Johnson said she was simply tired from previous races and didn't think she had a chance to win the 100 meters. She said without thinking she raised her arm in celebration. "They took it as taunting; that's not how I meant it," Johnson said." The rulebook specifically states it must be [u][b]EXCESSIVE [/b][/u]celebration. Did this sound excessive? So if a high jumper clears a PR height (in 8th place) and jumps off the mat happily with her hands up, that's a DQ? The shot putter who PRs and does a fist pump (ala Tiger Woods), that's a DQ? Really? I just don't get this pathological need by coaches or officials to try and DQ as many kids as they can. :-(
from the Tallahassee paper:

"Florida High's Ena Johnson won the 100-meter hurdles (14.98) and 300 hurdles (44.82) and also appeared to win the 100 meters. But her district-winning time was disqualified because she raised her arm at the finish line, and by rule her gesture was considered unsportsmanlike.
Johnson said she was simply tired from previous races and didn't think she had a chance to win the 100 meters. She said without thinking she raised her arm in celebration.
"They took it as taunting; that's not how I meant it," Johnson said."

The rulebook specifically states it must be EXCESSIVE celebration. Did this sound excessive? So if a high jumper clears a PR height (in 8th place) and jumps off the mat happily with her hands up, that's a DQ? The shot putter who PRs and does a fist pump (ala Tiger Woods), that's a DQ? Really? I just don't get this pathological need by coaches or officials to try and DQ as many kids as they can.
04/16/2009 10:27:25 AM
User
This IS ridiculous. Is there anyone who can't tell the difference between taunting and celebration? I admire the humble athlete. But I have no problem with an athlete that chooses to celebrate their hard work and accomplishment.
This IS ridiculous. Is there anyone who can't tell the difference between taunting and celebration? I admire the humble athlete. But I have no problem with an athlete that chooses to celebrate their hard work and accomplishment.
04/16/2009 12:42:45 PM
User
[i]Track & Field From the Florida Today: Melbourne High's boys finished third in last week's Cape Coast Conference track meet at Astronaut High. The Bulldogs' 71 points trailed only Astronaut (96) and Palm Bay (79). Yet Melbourne lost 18 points in the 1,600 meters when teammates elected to hold hands when crossing the finish line ahead of the rest of the field. The gesture was intended for the two to tie for the race's win, but it violated an FHSAA rule. The regulation considers that to be boosting another runner and both were thus disqualified.[/i] I tried to argue the point that they were not assitsting each other but I lost, strangly I would of been fine with a DQ for unsportmanship behavior.
Track & Field

From the Florida Today:

Melbourne High's boys finished third in last week's Cape Coast Conference track meet at Astronaut High. The Bulldogs' 71 points trailed only Astronaut (96) and Palm Bay (79).

Yet Melbourne lost 18 points in the 1,600 meters when teammates elected to hold hands when crossing the finish line ahead of the rest of the field. The gesture was intended for the two to tie for the race's win, but it violated an FHSAA rule. The regulation considers that to be boosting another runner and both were thus disqualified.

I tried to argue the point that they were not assitsting each other but I lost, strangly I would of been fine with a DQ for unsportmanship behavior.
04/16/2009 1:05:49 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
Ena was not the only athlete to celebrate after winning but it was seen as unsportsmanlike because she raised her hand as she finished and was told she put a 1 in the air. I seen a fist, she told me it was a fist, but on film they said it was a 1. Was it excessive, I didn
Ena was not the only athlete to celebrate after winning but it was seen as unsportsmanlike because she raised her hand as she finished and was told she put a 1 in the air. I seen a fist, she told me it was a fist, but on film they said it was a 1. Was it excessive, I didn
04/16/2009 1:09:56 PM
User
Does this mean these kids cannot compete further (regionals, state) in these events?
Does this mean these kids cannot compete further (regionals, state) in these events?
04/16/2009 1:37:05 PM
User
SUBSCRIBER
Last year I had a young man who whenever he crossed the finish line would point up to heaven and say a short prayer. This young man went undefeated in the 300h the entire year and always said a prayer after each race. In the prelims at the state meet he was given a warning about this small display, and I told him maybe he could find a different way to display his faith at the end of the finals. In the finals Tyler had a 5 meter lead going over the last hurdle for a easy victory, but clipped the last hurdle, stumbled, and was beat by 1/100 of a second at the state meet of his senior year. All Tyler did was move to the side of the track point to heaven and say a prayer. I actually think His Dad and I took it harder then him.
Last year I had a young man who whenever he crossed the finish line would point up to heaven and say a short prayer. This young man went undefeated in the 300h the entire year and always said a prayer after each race. In the prelims at the state meet he was given a warning about this small display, and I told him maybe he could find a different way to display his faith at the end of the finals. In the finals Tyler had a 5 meter lead going over the last hurdle for a easy victory, but clipped the last hurdle, stumbled, and was beat by 1/100 of a second at the state meet of his senior year. All Tyler did was move to the side of the track point to heaven and say a prayer. I actually think His Dad and I took it harder then him.
04/16/2009 2:29:52 PM
User
Who are these over zealous officials? If the kids are going to be publicly punished via newspaper article the official who made the call should be named/quoted/something. Even if it's a just DQ, the official should be noted on the record. Why is there no transparency for this? We should start a thread devoted to holding coaches and officials accountable for their actions at meets.
Who are these over zealous officials? If the kids are going to be publicly punished via newspaper article the official who made the call should be named/quoted/something. Even if it's a just DQ, the official should be noted on the record.

Why is there no transparency for this?

We should start a thread devoted to holding coaches and officials accountable for their actions at meets.
04/16/2009 4:16:20 PM
User
I'm too old to let this sort of thing upset me - but I can't help it, it INFURIATES me. Let me be clear: I hate taunting; I hate any real unsportsmanship. But the actions described here are neither. Not even close. On the hand-holding, I'm reminded of the times amny years ago when Frank Shorter (Olympic marathon gold medalist) and Jack Bacheler (2 time Olympian: 5,000 and marathon) sometimes held hands at the finish of races - for deliberate ties. And then, as now, there were officials who wanted to disqualify them. It was absurd and INFURIATING then; it still is.
I'm too old to let this sort of thing upset me - but I can't help it, it INFURIATES me. Let me be clear: I hate taunting; I hate any real unsportsmanship. But the actions described here are neither. Not even close. On the hand-holding, I'm reminded of the times amny years ago when Frank Shorter (Olympic marathon gold medalist) and Jack Bacheler (2 time Olympian: 5,000 and marathon) sometimes held hands at the finish of races - for deliberate ties. And then, as now, there were officials who wanted to disqualify them. It was absurd and INFURIATING then; it still is.
04/16/2009 5:47:37 PM
Admin
SUBSCRIBER
When I was in high school, the top six on our state ranked team crossed the finish at a small cc meet hand in hand for third through eight place. The front guys backed off and the back guys stepped up to run the whole race together. So they would all run the race together and "tie" it was showing unity and teamwork. To say something like that is otherwise is silly. Also what is wrong with us that we can't celebrate a little and be happy. Why do we expect kids to be stuffy and subdued ? Shouldn't they be happy? I miss touchdown dances in football but those were meant to be over the top. Can't put your hand up? Xavier carter and his X crossing the finish or dix and his whatever symbol at ncaa. That is fun. No wonder track is not bigger with more fans. We dq them for showing passion or the least bit of excitement. Please. Oh and I remember jenny barringer jumping up and down and screaming in pure joy every time she ran a great race. Just because she loved the feeling and loved running so much. Made her happy. But oh no can't do that. Stupid. Officials get a life.
When I was in high school, the top six on our state ranked team crossed the finish at a small cc meet hand in hand for third through eight place. The front guys backed off and the back guys stepped up to run the whole race together. So they would all run the race together and "tie" it was showing unity and teamwork. To say something like that is otherwise is silly.

Also what is wrong with us that we can't celebrate a little and be happy. Why do we expect kids to be stuffy and subdued ? Shouldn't they be happy? I miss touchdown dances in football but those were meant to be over the top. Can't put your hand up? Xavier carter and his X crossing the finish or dix and his whatever symbol at ncaa. That is fun. No wonder track is not bigger with more fans. We dq them for showing passion or the least bit of excitement. Please.

Oh and I remember jenny barringer jumping up and down and screaming in pure joy every time she ran a great race. Just because she loved the feeling and loved running so much. Made her happy. But oh no can't do that.

Stupid.

Officials get a life.
04/16/2009 9:46:38 PM
Coach
The officials would have had a heart attack if an athlete pulled an "Alan Webb" after winning. [img]http://i.usatoday.net/sports/_photos/2007/07/22/webbx.jpg[/img]
The officials would have had a heart attack if an athlete pulled an "Alan Webb" after winning.

04/16/2009 9:48:19 PM
Coach
BTW, was this decision appealed?? Theres no way coaches could have upheld this decision.
BTW, was this decision appealed??

Theres no way coaches could have upheld this decision.
04/16/2009 11:15:05 PM
User
TrackandFieldNews.com says it best "Idiocy Reigns" Sadly, this happened in what is probably the most runner friendly of places in Florida :( Kyle, just imagine if this official was working the track during the mens 100 or 200m finals in Beijing. Bolt would have no medal.
TrackandFieldNews.com says it best "Idiocy Reigns"

Sadly, this happened in what is probably the most runner friendly of places in Florida :(

Kyle, just imagine if this official was working the track during the mens 100 or 200m finals in Beijing. Bolt would have no medal.
04/17/2009 12:00:35 AM
User
Coach Forbes said she pointed a finger, zoomed in to see if you can see it. Other picture is coach Forbes doing a little finger pointing himself, look at the other officials they have not moved. Then after that he started to gather the coaches and officials ( who did not see it) to tell his version Ena's DAD [img]/uploads/user_files/70653/jesse pointing2 copy.jpg[/img] [img]/uploads/user_files/70653/ena zoom copy.jpg[/img] [img]/uploads/user_files/70653/jesse pointing.jpg[/img]
Coach Forbes said she pointed a finger, zoomed in to see if you can see it. Other picture is coach Forbes doing a little finger pointing himself, look at the other officials they have not moved. Then after that he started to gather the coaches and officials ( who did not see it) to tell his version

Ena's DAD
04/17/2009 12:37:51 AM
Coach
Whats the point in having any kind of competition. I thought we raced to see who was the best. There are so many people worried about feelings getting hurt that everyone has to be politically correct. If its meant to be demeaning then the person should be dq'd but just for a hand gesture even if she displayed a one then its ridiculous. We might as all circle around the track singing Barney songs so no ones feelings get hurt. Just as a side note my school stopped giving the people with higher honors a different colored robe b/c a parent complained it would make her daughter feel bad.
Whats the point in having any kind of competition. I thought we raced to see who was the best. There are so many people worried about feelings getting hurt that everyone has to be politically correct. If its meant to be demeaning then the person should be dq'd but just for a hand gesture even if she displayed a one then its ridiculous. We might as all circle around the track singing Barney songs so no ones feelings get hurt.

Just as a side note my school stopped giving the people with higher honors a different colored robe b/c a parent complained it would make her daughter feel bad.
04/17/2009 11:12:58 AM
User
PoppJ, Suck it up. Thats all you can do. Last year the number one female high school runner in Florida only had two races before districts. She won a state championship. Coaches and officials all closed their eyes. Yet, we expect the athletes to know and abide by the rules. What happened to teaching by example?
PoppJ, Suck it up. Thats all you can do. Last year the number one female high school runner in Florida only had two races before districts. She won a state championship. Coaches and officials all closed their eyes. Yet, we expect the athletes to know and abide by the rules. What happened to teaching by example?
04/17/2009 11:48:44 AM
User
[quote=trinytodabone]PoppJ, Suck it up. Thats all you can do. Last year the number one female high school runner in Florida only had two races before districts. She won a state championship. Coaches and officials all closed their eyes. Yet, we expect the athletes to know and abide by the rules. What happened to teaching by example?[/quote] Assuming it's Brasovan, then you are wrong, there were meets in which she ran which didn't get input in the athlet's profile in the database because she ran in relay teams, like the dwyer relays (look it up its in the 4x800), Jupiter Warrior invitational (4x800) and small meets in Royal Palm Beach in which results were never sent in.
rinytodabone wrote:

Assuming it's Brasovan, then you are wrong, there were meets in which she ran which didn't get input in the athlet's profile in the database because she ran in relay teams, like the dwyer relays (look it up its in the 4x800), Jupiter Warrior invitational (4x800) and small meets in Royal Palm Beach in which results were never sent in.
04/17/2009 11:53:54 AM
User
[quote=sesar11]trinytodabone said:PoppJ, Suck it up. Thats all you can do. Last year the number one female high school runner in Florida only had two races before districts. She won a state championship. Coaches and officials all closed their eyes. Yet, we expect the athletes to know and abide by the rules. What happened to teaching by example? Assuming it's Brasovan, then you are wrong, there were meets in which she ran which didn't get input in the athlet's profile in the database because she ran in relay teams, like the dwyer relays (look it up its in the 4x800), Jupiter Warrior invitational (4x800) and small meets in Royal Palm Beach in which results were never sent in.[/quote] NVM, you guys changed ends of the state. Not cool but whatever.
sesar11 wrote:
trinytodabone said:PoppJ, Suck it up. Thats all you can do. Last year the number one female high school runner in Florida only had two races before districts. She won a state championship. Coaches and officials all closed their eyes. Yet, we expect the athletes to know and abide by the rules. What happened to teaching by example?

Assuming it's Brasovan, then you are wrong, there were meets in which she ran which didn't get input in the athlet's profile in the database because she ran in relay teams, like the dwyer relays (look it up its in the 4x800), Jupiter Warrior invitational (4x800) and small meets in Royal Palm Beach in which results were never sent in.

NVM, you guys changed ends of the state. Not cool but whatever.
04/17/2009 12:14:17 PM
User
[i]We might as all circle around the track singing Barney songs so no ones feelings get hurt. [/i] I guess we'll just have to tie everyone's hands down at their sides, gag them so they won't shout out in glee at the end of a race and make them run in weighted shoes so they don't have the strength for a little victory dance at the end. Oh, and no smiling, either. Backslapping is out and no congratulations to be proferred unless you contratulate everyone at the event. In fact, we can't declare anyone the winner as that might hurt the tender psyches of the other runners. Why don't we just stop all the competitions and just give everyone a certificate telling them how special they are. They we can all sing Kumbaiya and roast marshmallows. Sheesh, this PC stuff is getting out of hand. I agree that there are no "losers" (anyone who can get out there and run has my admiration) but SOMEBODY has to be the winner and isn't that person to be allowed just the teensiest bit of glory?
We might as all circle around the track singing Barney songs so no ones feelings get hurt.

I guess we'll just have to tie everyone's hands down at their sides, gag them so they won't shout out in glee at the end of a race and make them run in weighted shoes so they don't have the strength for a little victory dance at the end. Oh, and no smiling, either. Backslapping is out and no congratulations to be proferred unless you contratulate everyone at the event. In fact, we can't declare anyone the winner as that might hurt the tender psyches of the other runners. Why don't we just stop all the competitions and just give everyone a certificate telling them how special they are. They we can all sing Kumbaiya and roast marshmallows.

Sheesh, this PC stuff is getting out of hand. I agree that there are no "losers" (anyone who can get out there and run has my admiration) but SOMEBODY has to be the winner and isn't that person to be allowed just the teensiest bit of glory?
04/17/2009 12:32:18 PM
Coach
Would someone get DQ'd for holding up 3 fingers if they finished 3rd?? Or is it just a rule that only the winner gets held to?
Would someone get DQ'd for holding up 3 fingers if they finished 3rd??

Or is it just a rule that only the winner gets held to?
04/17/2009 12:50:12 PM
User
OMG...this is crazy. Note to self: SHOW NO EMOTION AT DISTRICTS (CAN WE KNOW THE NAME OR WHAT THE OFFICIAL LOOKS LIKE, CAUSE I BET I CAN GUESS?!? lol) Most FHSAA officials = nice people Some FHSAA officials = douche bags/power-hungry/cranky old men. What if the girl was point to heaven, I bet you could EASILY win a legal dispute over the official hindering her freedom of expression and religion...EASILY.
OMG...this is crazy.

Note to self: SHOW NO EMOTION AT DISTRICTS

(CAN WE KNOW THE NAME OR WHAT THE OFFICIAL LOOKS LIKE, CAUSE I BET I CAN GUESS?!? lol)

Most FHSAA officials = nice people
Some FHSAA officials = douche bags/power-hungry/cranky old men.

What if the girl was point to heaven, I bet you could EASILY win a legal dispute over the official hindering her freedom of expression and religion...EASILY.

You must be logged in to comment.

Click Here to Log In.