A crazy season is South Florida
03/22/2021 1:13:12 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
While other parts of the state are conducting business close to usual, its been depressing and uneven down here In Dade and Broward Counties. Almost every large meet has been cancelled at venues from Ansin to Tropical Park. Some public schools are operating at less than 50 percent attendance and this affects their athletic teams sizes... Some public school powerhouse schools that were AA state champions in boys and girls in recent years are not even competing (yet at least)... while others ( mainly certain private schools) travel around the state as they did before the pandemic. [b]The real kicker[/b] some schools quarantining and cancelling practice when there is one positive on a team thereby killing a season - while other schools they compete against never quarantine. I don't know that I would go so far as to call it an Asterisk season down here... but it is certainly an uneven playing field and an anomoly( I hope) I know I said Here's to 2021 in 2020... Now I say here's to 2022
While other parts of the state are conducting business close to usual, its been depressing and uneven down here In Dade and Broward Counties. Almost every large meet has been cancelled at venues from Ansin to Tropical Park. Some public schools are operating at less than 50 percent attendance and this affects their athletic teams sizes... Some public school powerhouse schools that were AA state champions in boys and girls in recent years are not even competing (yet at least)... while others ( mainly certain private schools) travel around the state as they did before the pandemic. The real kicker some schools quarantining and cancelling practice when there is one positive on a team thereby killing a season - while other schools they compete against never quarantine.

I don't know that I would go so far as to call it an Asterisk season down here... but it is certainly an uneven playing field and an anomoly( I hope)

I know I said Here's to 2021 in 2020... Now I say here's to 2022
03/22/2021 10:20:33 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
@mbecker Didn’t Miami Central win the 6a state championship football game 46-0? Public school in Miami Dade..... How did they make that happen? The time it took you to write this you could have emailed them and found out. The easy solution is to accept the no you can’t. If you care about your athletes and their futures, find a way for them to compete. Have a great rest of the week.
@mbecker

Didn't Miami Central win the 6a state championship football game 46-0?

Public school in Miami Dade.....

How did they make that happen? The time it took you to write this you could have emailed them and found out.

The easy solution is to accept the no you can't. If you care about your athletes and their futures, find a way for them to compete.

Have a great rest of the week.
03/23/2021 3:03:05 PM
Power User
@ERYRC1 As one of Mike Becker's former "athletes", I can assure you he definitely "cares about his athletes." He was coaching and caring well before I started coaching myself (in 1996), and he continues to do so to this day. I have had the opportunity to travel around the state timing events and the range of what is done/acceptable is extremely wide ranging. I have not been in the Dade/Broward area but have friends who live in that area and it is very different than where I live and work. In regards to football, it has existed on a different playing field figuratively and literally from track and field since day 1.
@ERYRC1
As one of Mike Becker's former "athletes", I can assure you he definitely "cares about his athletes." He was coaching and caring well before I started coaching myself (in 1996), and he continues to do so to this day.

I have had the opportunity to travel around the state timing events and the range of what is done/acceptable is extremely wide ranging. I have not been in the Dade/Broward area but have friends who live in that area and it is very different than where I live and work.

In regards to football, it has existed on a different playing field figuratively and literally from track and field since day 1.
03/23/2021 3:22:26 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
@Coach_Hill Wasn’t a direct shot at him, as I think he is at a private school isn’t he? Most coaches have a tremendous impact and glad he did on you! I think the text comes off more harsh than it was meant to be. My point was that there is always a way to make something happen, no matter the situation. Most just take the easy route.
@Coach_Hill

Wasn't a direct shot at him, as I think he is at a private school isn't he? Most coaches have a tremendous impact and glad he did on you!

I think the text comes off more harsh than it was meant to be.

My point was that there is always a way to make something happen, no matter the situation. Most just take the easy route.
03/23/2021 10:17:38 PM
Admin
SUBSCRIBER
Looking for a HS meet the week of April 3-9 in the Naples area for one athlete on spring break from Georgia. Anyone have any places to look? Family willing to drive 1 hour and will have COVID negative test results & parents fully vaccinated. THX for any help you can give. Would go to FL relays but no HS section this year and FSU in wrong part of the state. She is a 800/1600 athlete.
Looking for a HS meet the week of April 3-9 in the Naples area for one athlete on spring break from Georgia. Anyone have any places to look? Family willing to drive 1 hour and will have COVID negative test results & parents fully vaccinated.
THX for any help you can give. Would go to FL relays but no HS section this year and FSU in wrong part of the state. She is a 800/1600 athlete.
03/23/2021 11:32:40 PM
Power User
SUBSCRIBER
@acarr6453 If it was this weekend she could run the Dunbar Bring Back The Mile race in Ft. Myers which will have an impressive field...but not sure of anything that weekend
@acarr6453
If it was this weekend she could run the Dunbar Bring Back The Mile race in Ft. Myers which will have an impressive field...but not sure of anything that weekend
03/24/2021 7:57:49 AM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
Thanks Mike Thanks Mike My main point was this "[b]South Florida" is not operating like the rest of state. [/b] Any coach down here - from the A private school to the AAAA power houses would concur. The 16 team meet planed for Ansin Complex (hosted by Alex Armenteros) was cancelled last minute because of concerns unique to South Florida COVID fears. The GMAC met was postponed/cancelled hours before starting before because the county facility was being used for vaccinations and there was deemed too much traffic. County facilities are being opened and closed without warning. Booker T Washington and Hallandale - TRACK powerhouses(to my knowledge) haven't gotten going yet, and schools like Ransom Everglades and Pine Crest (which by the way would have likely won 2020 track states) are simply not operating under the same COVID enforcement rules as other schools. Some AAAA Schools that had 60 athletes on a team in 2019 have less than 10 now as their schools have less than 50 percent of the students they had in 2019. Some schools allowed by their administrators to travel to Jacksonville on bus... while others not allowed out of country . To suggest those coaches affected unevenly by COVID protocols are not trying hard enough is not a comment anyone in South Florida would make. It really is much easier away from South Florida. PURE and SIMPLE. If you ain't down here you don't see the difference. BTW Re football: When most South Florida public schools went to a different football schedule (a late start and no FHSAA playoffs for many schools), there was a mad scramble of transferring to the small handful of schools that did stay with the FHSAA time table. Lets call it free agent signing bonanza where stud kids from many schools siphoned into a handful of programs. The rich got richer. I don't take it personally that anyone outside of South Florida doesn't understand why there is not an even playing field this year or why there are huge asterisks here. Any suggestions that South Florida coaches need to work harder to make it is not being made by anyone down here. Down here, we all get it and are doing what we can, from the coaches who don't care about repercussions to those who have no restrictions to those who have their hands completely tied. I am done commenting on this post, as it is time to prepare for a crazy state series.
Thanks Mike

Thanks Mike

My main point was this "South Florida" is not operating like the rest of state.

Any coach down here - from the A private school to the AAAA power houses would concur.

The 16 team meet planed for Ansin Complex (hosted by Alex Armenteros) was cancelled last minute because of concerns unique to South Florida COVID fears. The GMAC met was postponed/cancelled hours before starting before because the county facility was being used for vaccinations and there was deemed too much traffic. County facilities are being opened and closed without warning. Booker T Washington and Hallandale - TRACK powerhouses(to my knowledge) haven't gotten going yet, and schools like Ransom Everglades and Pine Crest (which by the way would have likely won 2020 track states) are simply not operating under the same COVID enforcement rules as other schools. Some AAAA Schools that had 60 athletes on a team in 2019 have less than 10 now as their schools have less than 50 percent of the students they had in 2019. Some schools allowed by their administrators to travel to Jacksonville on bus... while others not allowed out of country .

To suggest those coaches affected unevenly by COVID protocols are not trying hard enough is not a comment anyone in South Florida would make. It really is much easier away from South Florida. PURE and SIMPLE. If you ain't down here you don't see the difference.

BTW Re football: When most South Florida public schools went to a different football schedule (a late start and no FHSAA playoffs for many schools), there was a mad scramble of transferring to the small handful of schools that did stay with the FHSAA time table. Lets call it free agent signing bonanza where stud kids from many schools siphoned into a handful of programs. The rich got richer.

I don't take it personally that anyone outside of South Florida doesn't understand why there is not an even playing field this year or why there are huge asterisks here. Any suggestions that South Florida coaches need to work harder to make it is not being made by anyone down here. Down here, we all get it and are doing what we can, from the coaches who don't care about repercussions to those who have no restrictions to those who have their hands completely tied.

I am done commenting on this post, as it is time to prepare for a crazy state series.
03/24/2021 9:44:34 AM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
@mbecker Well stated and best of luck!!!
@mbecker

Well stated and best of luck!!!
03/24/2021 11:07:17 AM
Coach
@mbecker The reason for the lack of consistency is because the FHSAA did not and could not set conformity standards across the state. It was left up to each state in how to deal with COVID and each state left the decision-making process in how to apply CDC guidelines to each county / school district. Rightfully so because every county was experiencing different numbers and rates of COVID cases. With 67 counties and 74 school districts in Florida, we could possibly get 67 to 74 different approaches to dealing with the COVID issue. There is no way FHSAA could come up with a blanket plan that would appease every district. Because of that, we have a somewhat "free-for-all" situation that you currently describe. Not only that, but the challenge of enforcing any regulations is enormous (also contributing to the "Free-for-all" scenario), DEFINITELY an "[b]Asterisk[/b]" season.
@mbecker

The reason for the lack of consistency is because the FHSAA did not and could not set conformity standards across the state. It was left up to each state in how to deal with COVID and each state left the decision-making process in how to apply CDC guidelines to each county / school district. Rightfully so because every county was experiencing different numbers and rates of COVID cases. With 67 counties and 74 school districts in Florida, we could possibly get 67 to 74 different approaches to dealing with the COVID issue. There is no way FHSAA could come up with a blanket plan that would appease every district.

Because of that, we have a somewhat "free-for-all" situation that you currently describe. Not only that, but the challenge of enforcing any regulations is enormous (also contributing to the "Free-for-all" scenario),

DEFINITELY an "Asterisk" season.
03/24/2021 12:06:16 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
[quote=multijumps]@mbecker DEFINITELY an "[b]Asterisk[/b]" season. [/quote] Mike is right, some schools down here have been able to avoid long periods of quarantine and others have not. Some schools are allowed to travel outside of Dade County and as far north as their program requests, others no. My school has yet to send a full squad to a meet. We've always had athletes out quarantining. We've been fortunate to avoid our entire team having to sit out at once. Our school does it's version of contact tracing and if they believe the "exposure" took place outside of athletics they don't shut the entire sport down. I know of schools where one possible exposure does lead to entire teams quarantining or being sent for tests.
multijumps wrote:
@mbecker

DEFINITELY an "Asterisk" season.

Mike is right, some schools down here have been able to avoid long periods of quarantine and others have not. Some schools are allowed to travel outside of Dade County and as far north as their program requests, others no.

My school has yet to send a full squad to a meet. We've always had athletes out quarantining. We've been fortunate to avoid our entire team having to sit out at once. Our school does it's version of contact tracing and if they believe the "exposure" took place outside of athletics they don't shut the entire sport down. I know of schools where one possible exposure does lead to entire teams quarantining or being sent for tests.

You must be logged in to comment.

Click Here to Log In.