FHSAA Update is a non-answer
03/31/2020 1:57:29 PM
Coach
Somebody please tell me how in the world a coach is to advice his runners on how to train for the next four weeks based on the weak, non-definitive FHSAA response. Is there a possibility of the state meet happening or not. Yes or no, not maybe!!! Come on people! Show some leadership for a change.
Somebody please tell me how in the world a coach is to advice his runners on how to train for the next four weeks based on the weak, non-definitive FHSAA response. Is there a possibility of the state meet happening or not. Yes or no,
not maybe!!! Come on people! Show some leadership for a change.
03/31/2020 2:53:48 PM
Power User
SUBSCRIBER
Totally agree! More limbo.
Totally agree! More limbo.
03/31/2020 3:01:08 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
@John_Stevenson So you want them to come out and say the season is over? As I see it there are three options. 1) is to say the season is over which it appears some of you want. Most of us do not want it to end for the sake of our seniors. 2) Give a date that we will resume and a date for a state series. I think we can all agree this is not a viable option. 3) Postpone it until there may be a chance to do it even after school ends. The kids have hope, the coaches have hope, and it sure as hell beats saying the season is over.
@John_Stevenson So you want them to come out and say the season is over? As I see it there are three options. 1) is to say the season is over which it appears some of you want. Most of us do not want it to end for the sake of our seniors. 2) Give a date that we will resume and a date for a state series. I think we can all agree this is not a viable option. 3) Postpone it until there may be a chance to do it even after school ends. The kids have hope, the coaches have hope, and it sure as hell beats saying the season is over.
03/31/2020 3:08:48 PM
Power User
SUBSCRIBER
@coachbutler Not at all. Give us a date, period. Or give us something as in that “we are working on possible options that will give us a state meet in the final weeks of June.” Something to that effect. It’s basically what I am planning on based on their vague statement.
@coachbutler Not at all. Give us a date, period. Or give us something as in that "we are working on possible options that will give us a state meet in the final weeks of June." Something to that effect. It's basically what I am planning on based on their vague statement.
03/31/2020 3:12:24 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
@John_Stevenson I think it would be ill advised to set a date when nobody knows when anything is going to pen back up yet. We are all in same boat so nobody has any advantage. We can't even meet with our kids or suggest they get together to train. So a little hope we may have a state meet, even in June, is a little hope.
@John_Stevenson I think it would be ill advised to set a date when nobody knows when anything is going to pen back up yet. We are all in same boat so nobody has any advantage. We can't even meet with our kids or suggest they get together to train. So a little hope we may have a state meet, even in June, is a little hope.
03/31/2020 3:24:50 PM
Power User
SUBSCRIBER
@coachbutler Which goes back to original post...it's nothing. Why post anything? To tell use that we have no clue how this in impacting sports...of course we don't know. It's sometimes day by day, even hour by hour on virus updates.
@coachbutler Which goes back to original post...it's nothing. Why post anything? To tell use that we have no clue how this in impacting sports...of course we don't know. It's sometimes day by day, even hour by hour on virus updates.
03/31/2020 3:26:25 PM
User
SUBSCRIBER
You run through the finsih line, thats what they are doing, let the process work itself out. There is no reason to kill off the meet until the calendar says so, they aren't at that point.
You run through the finsih line, thats what they are doing, let the process work itself out. There is no reason to kill off the meet until the calendar says so, they aren't at that point.
03/31/2020 3:28:50 PM
Coach
@coachbutler Doug, I hate to disagree with you and I can't imagine any coach wanting the season to end this way, but there is a big difference between hope and a FALSE HOPE. You obviously trust the FHSAA to be able to organize a logistical nightmare more than me. However, once a decision is made we can then move on with our own plans for our athletes, whatever that may be and whatever options we may have. As of now, that can't be done. I'M ALL EARS. I honestly don't know what to tell my kids who are looking to me for answers.
@coachbutler
Doug, I hate to disagree with you and I can't imagine any coach wanting the season to end this way, but there is a big difference between hope and a FALSE HOPE. You obviously trust the FHSAA to be able to organize a logistical nightmare more than me. However, once a decision is made we can then move on with our own plans for our athletes, whatever that may be and whatever options we may have. As of now, that can't be done. I'M ALL EARS. I honestly don't know what to tell my kids who are looking to me for answers.
03/31/2020 4:06:30 PM
Coach
Doug, here's my hope: That a group of coaches like you organize an unofficial meet at a facility like yours in which our athletes can compete voluntarily, unattached and without violating any FLDOE and FHSAA rules, with a SPECIFIC DATE, TIME AND PLACE. Then we can definitely say "kids,here's something you can train for" (obviously this is assuming the virus threat is over). That my hope :-)
Doug, here's my hope: That a group of coaches like you organize an unofficial meet at a facility like yours in which our athletes can compete voluntarily, unattached and without violating any FLDOE and FHSAA rules, with a SPECIFIC DATE, TIME AND PLACE. Then we can definitely say "kids,here's something you can train for" (obviously this is assuming the virus threat is over). That my hope
03/31/2020 4:30:35 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
Collier County as of right now is still following our normal calendar and will not be extending the school year . Obviously subject to change but my AD had no answer for me if we would be allowed to participate seeing how our last day of school would be 6/3 and the State Series potentially going to end of June.
Collier County as of right now is still following our normal calendar and will not be extending the school year . Obviously subject to change but my AD had no answer for me if we would be allowed to participate seeing how our last day of school would be 6/3 and the State Series potentially going to end of June.
03/31/2020 4:32:16 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
@Skippy66. That is the plan here, wanting to put on open meet May 15-16. Prelims and 3200 , and 800 Friday night and finals and 1600 Sat. It will happen if we are open to have events at that time by the state and county.
@Skippy66. That is the plan here, wanting to put on open meet May 15-16. Prelims and 3200 , and 800 Friday night and finals and 1600 Sat. It will happen if we are open to have events at that time by the state and county.
03/31/2020 5:11:50 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
It’s limbo for two reasons cause 1) everyone is unknown territory. Unknown, because at every level of governance, administrators unsure of who has authority to control public behaviors, let alone agreeing on how to help this horrible episode pass. 2) state and local governance have bigger things to worry about than directing a state track championship Realistically At this point we should all just hope that school can return to “ normal” by next fall. I think we all know this season is not salvageable.
It's limbo for two reasons cause

1) everyone is unknown territory. Unknown, because at every level of governance, administrators unsure of who has authority to control public behaviors, let alone agreeing on how to help this horrible episode pass.

2) state and local governance have bigger things to worry about than directing a state track championship

Realistically At this point we should all just hope that school can return to " normal" by next fall. I think we all know this season is not salvageable.
03/31/2020 5:24:08 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
I'm happy that they are at least keeping the door open. Most states have already shut the season down. And their delay indicates that they're at least holding out for some positive state news by the end of April.
I'm happy that they are at least keeping the door open. Most states have already shut the season down. And their delay indicates that they're at least holding out for some positive state news by the end of April.
03/31/2020 9:09:56 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
The fhsaa is trying to figure something out for the kids that would have medaled, for the kids that would have made it for the first time, and for the kids that are seniors. They are also hoping for some of the revenue that keeps them going, they are not saints. If we are able to do something, would it be at the same level as prior years? No, but it would be better than nothing for some kids. I get holding out some hope that something can happen. I however do not think anything will happen, nor do I think we will go back to school this year.
The fhsaa is trying to figure something out for the kids that would have medaled, for the kids that would have made it for the first time, and for the kids that are seniors. They are also hoping for some of the revenue that keeps them going, they are not saints.

If we are able to do something, would it be at the same level as prior years? No, but it would be better than nothing for some kids. I get holding out some hope that something can happen.

I however do not think anything will happen, nor do I think we will go back to school this year.
04/01/2020 8:30:55 AM
Coach
The season is over PERIOD. The FHSAA is doing everything they can, and in my opinion being overly optimistic. The focus should no longer be on 19-20 sports season. At best we can hope a regular opening of cross country in the fall. The shutdown across the country was quick. The reopening and normalization will take months not weeks. On another note, this is my first post in about three years. Not the best time to try and return to coaching
The season is over PERIOD. The FHSAA is doing everything they can, and in my opinion being overly optimistic. The focus should no longer be on 19-20 sports season. At best we can hope a regular opening of cross country in the fall. The shutdown across the country was quick. The reopening and normalization will take months not weeks. On another note, this is my first post in about three years. Not the best time to try and return to coaching
04/01/2020 1:29:02 PM
User
SUBSCRIBER
I agree w Coach Butler. I think if all goes well by 3 May, we try to hold at least the regional and state meets. Just take the top 16 right now from each event to the regional meet. Normal rules from there. Regionals could be at the site locations on same day. State meet at UF of UNF depending on availability. It can be done. Especially if the all clears have been given, and schools are back in session. I am glad the FHSAA is not just automatically canceling. They are trying to do right for the kids. Just my two cents.
I agree w Coach Butler. I think if all goes well by 3 May, we try to hold at least the regional and state meets. Just take the top 16 right now from each event to the regional meet. Normal rules from there. Regionals could be at the site locations on same day. State meet at UF of UNF depending on availability. It can be done. Especially if the all clears have been given, and schools are back in session.

I am glad the FHSAA is not just automatically canceling. They are trying to do right for the kids.
Just my two cents.
04/01/2020 2:19:52 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
@Redspikes to "just take the top 16 right now" would leave out some very good runners (past state qualifiers) who might not have run their primary event the first three meets for various reasons. What would you say to them? Also what about relays? I'm sure some coaches had still not entered an "A" team. If by small miracle we are fortunate enough to resume this season in any capacity, there will be an awful lot to consider and organize.
@Redspikes to "just take the top 16 right now" would leave out some very good runners (past state qualifiers) who might not have run their primary event the first three meets for various reasons. What would you say to them? Also what about relays? I'm sure some coaches had still not entered an "A" team. If by small miracle we are fortunate enough to resume this season in any capacity, there will be an awful lot to consider and organize.
04/01/2020 3:13:49 PM
User
@huckstarxc 100% agree
@huckstarxc
100% agree
04/01/2020 3:54:53 PM
Power User
SUBSCRIBER
I agree with Coach Butler. There is no need to say Season is over when they do not know for sure. I don't mind waiting until the last minute for the sake of our seniors who may not have the chance to ever compete again. Victor
I agree with Coach Butler. There is no need to say Season is over when they do not know for sure. I don't mind waiting until the last minute for the sake of our seniors who may not have the chance to ever compete again.

Victor
04/01/2020 4:48:49 PM
User
As a medical professional, in my opinion, having a fall XC, Football, Vball etc... season would be a big victory.
As a medical professional, in my opinion, having a fall XC, Football, Vball etc... season would be a big victory.

You must be logged in to comment.

Click Here to Log In.