Poll: Do you think athletes should be disqualified for all subsequent events because of a "Do Not Start" ?

Option Votes Score
1) No, they should only be stopped from participating in the event for which they did not show up to compete. 32 68%
2) Yes, they should be stopped from participating in all events in the meet if they have a "Do Not Start" in one event 14 30%
1 2%
47 Votes

Vote!
Do you think athletes should be disqualified for all subsequent events because of a "Do Not Start" ?
05/15/2016 10:09:29 PM
User
FHSAA 4.14.2.3.1 General (1) Scratched Contestant. A contestant who is entered into an event in the FHSAA State Track & Field Series on any level and is later scratched from that event will be disqualified from participating in all remaining events in the meet and on succeeding levels. A runner who gets a "Did Not Start(DNS)" is considered to be a "scratched contestant" So in a nutshell, a runner can be stuck in traffic getting to the state meet and miss their first event, then be punitively penalized even further by not being allowed to participate in the rest of their events, not even on relays and subsequent meets (i.e, the state meet). This is cruel and unusual punishment. This is a dumb, cruel rule that needs to be changed. We actually have a team here that lost the state championship because of this grossly excessive cruel punishment for a "Did Not Start"!
FHSAA

4.14.2.3.1 General
(1) Scratched Contestant. A contestant who is entered into an event in the FHSAA State Track & Field Series on any level and is later scratched from that event will be disqualified from participating in all remaining events
in the meet and on succeeding levels.

A runner who gets a "Did Not Start(DNS)" is considered to be a "scratched contestant"

So in a nutshell, a runner can be stuck in traffic getting to the state meet and miss their first event, then be punitively penalized even further by not being allowed to participate in the rest of their events, not even on relays and subsequent meets (i.e, the state meet).

This is cruel and unusual punishment. This is a dumb, cruel rule that needs to be changed.

We actually have a team here that lost the state championship because of this grossly excessive cruel punishment for a "Did Not Start"!
05/16/2016 10:32:36 AM
Power User
SUBSCRIBER
We used to have a rule similar to this in Virginia. I can't remember when they changed it, but it has been a few years now. The idea used to be that they didn't want coaches pulling athletes out of events to give them an advantage for subsequent events. Now, athletes who are entered into events may scratch with no penalty, however, the event that they scratched from still counts towards their maximum number of entries allowed. In Virginia, athletes can run up to 3 running events (and unlimited field events). If an athlete was entered in the 100 and 200, and also did the 4x4, they could not do the 4x1, then scratch the 200 to do the 4x4, since the 200m dash counted towards their maximum allotment. As a coach, I've now seen it both ways, and I would agree that I prefer the modern method, since it gives the coach an opportunity to assess how an athlete is feeling/performing and make decisions about what might be best for him/her on a given day, without penalty.
We used to have a rule similar to this in Virginia. I can't remember when they changed it, but it has been a few years now. The idea used to be that they didn't want coaches pulling athletes out of events to give them an advantage for subsequent events.

Now, athletes who are entered into events may scratch with no penalty, however, the event that they scratched from still counts towards their maximum number of entries allowed. In Virginia, athletes can run up to 3 running events (and unlimited field events). If an athlete was entered in the 100 and 200, and also did the 4x4, they could not do the 4x1, then scratch the 200 to do the 4x4, since the 200m dash counted towards their maximum allotment.

As a coach, I've now seen it both ways, and I would agree that I prefer the modern method, since it gives the coach an opportunity to assess how an athlete is feeling/performing and make decisions about what might be best for him/her on a given day, without penalty.
05/16/2016 11:55:21 PM
Coach
@BookerTalmadge "So in a nutshell, a runner can be stuck in traffic getting to the state meet and miss their first event, then be punitively penalized even further by not being allowed to participate in the rest of their events, not even on relays and subsequent meets (i.e, the state meet)." Not true and as a coach you should know this. The reason American HS lost is because of a DQ in the 4x400 caused by a DNS in the preceding Region 4A 4 of an athlete who did a DNS in the Open 400m. Subsequently, when he ran a leg of the 4x400 the team at State the team was DQd. Facts are stubborn. Here is the FHSAA Rule on delays. Arriving late because of poor time management is not covered under the provision. 10.7.1 Team Failure to Appear. In the event a team fails to appear at the Florida High School State Championship Series event site to play at the scheduled time for its contest, the contest shall be declared forfeited to the team’s opponent, and that team shall advance to the next round. In this event, the FHSAA Office must be notified immediately. If a team’s arrival is delayed due to mechanical problems or inclement weather, every reasonable effort must be made by the local manager in consultation with the FHSAA Office to make adjustments, if possible, in the starting time of the contest to accommodate the absent team. Otherwise, failure to appear shall subject the school to a $250 monetary penalty.
@BookerTalmadge

"So in a nutshell, a runner can be stuck in traffic getting to the state meet and miss their first event, then be punitively penalized even further by not being allowed to participate in the rest of their events, not even on relays and subsequent meets (i.e, the state meet)."

Not true and as a coach you should know this.

The reason American HS lost is because of a DQ in the 4x400 caused by a DNS in the preceding Region 4A 4 of an athlete who did a DNS in the Open 400m. Subsequently, when he ran a leg of the 4x400 the team at State the team was DQd. Facts are stubborn.

Here is the FHSAA Rule on delays. Arriving late because of poor time management is not covered under the provision.

10.7.1 Team Failure to Appear. In the event a team fails to appear at the Florida High School State Championship Series event site to play at the scheduled time for its contest, the contest shall be declared forfeited to the team's opponent, and that team shall advance to the next round. In this event, the FHSAA Office must be notified immediately. If a team's arrival is delayed due to mechanical problems or inclement weather, every reasonable effort must be made by the local manager in consultation with the FHSAA Office to make adjustments, if possible, in the starting time of the contest to accommodate the absent team. Otherwise, failure to appear shall subject the school to a $250 monetary penalty.
05/16/2016 11:59:07 PM
User
I totally understand the rule. You're talking about a team, I'm talking about one athlete. You didn't say anything that I hadn't already said. That doesn't mean the rule is right! A kid could simply show up to a meet late because they were stuck in traffic and miss their first event. His entire team could already be there and checked in. And even though the athlete shows up late and is now present and ready to run in subsequent events the athlete is now disqualified from participating in any more events at the meet and from participating in the state meet, even on a relay. This is nothing but utter and complete B.S! The rule should be changed!!! If an athlete is present, they should be allowed to compete in the events that are left. Furthermore, If an athlete is disqualified at a regional meet because of a DNS in the 400, he should be allowed to participate in all of the other events that he/she had entered and only disqualified from participating in the 400 at the state meet! This again is total and complete B.S. This athlete should only be disqualified from participating in the event for which they were disqualified, not in events for which they were not disqualified. If the athlete had a DNS in the 400, they should be allowed to participate in all of their other events. If a rule is wrong, it should be changed. This stupid rule needs to be changed. So what are you trying to say, PDIIinc? Are you trying to say the coach knew the athlete was disqualified and let him run in the 4 x 400 anyway, causing his own team to get DQ'd at the state meet, costing them the championship? If so, I think you're wrong. I don't believe a coach would knowingly put a disqualified athlete on a 4 x 400 to purposefully get the 4 x 400 team disqualified. When FSHAA issued the athlete a bib number at the state meet, the coach probably figure he was eligible or they would never have issued a bib number. How the hell did a disqualified athlete get a bib number from FHSAA? If the athlete was truly disqualifed, he should never have been given a bib number! If the athlete was "disqualified", FSHAA should never have issued a bib number to this "disqualified" athlete. The FSHAA should only issue bib numbers to meet eligible athletes.
I totally understand the rule. You're talking about a team, I'm talking about one athlete. You didn't say anything that I hadn't already said. That doesn't mean the rule is right! A kid could simply show up to a meet late because they were stuck in traffic and miss their first event. His entire team could already be there and checked in. And even though the athlete shows up late and is now present and ready to run in subsequent events the athlete is now disqualified from participating in any more events at the meet and from participating in the state meet, even on a relay. This is nothing but utter and complete B.S!

The rule should be changed!!! If an athlete is present, they should be allowed to compete in the events that are left. Furthermore, If an athlete is disqualified at a regional meet because of a DNS in the 400, he should be allowed to participate in all of the other events that he/she had entered and only disqualified from participating in the 400 at the state meet! This again is total and complete B.S.

This athlete should only be disqualified from participating in the event for which they were disqualified, not in events for which they were not disqualified. If the athlete had a DNS in the 400, they should be allowed to participate in all of their other events.

If a rule is wrong, it should be changed. This stupid rule needs to be changed.

So what are you trying to say, PDIIinc? Are you trying to say the coach knew the athlete was disqualified and let him run in the 4 x 400 anyway, causing his own team to get DQ'd at the state meet, costing them the championship? If so, I think you're wrong. I don't believe a coach would knowingly put a disqualified athlete on a 4 x 400 to purposefully get the 4 x 400 team disqualified. When FSHAA issued the athlete a bib number at the state meet, the coach probably figure he was eligible or they would never have issued a bib number. How the hell did a disqualified athlete get a bib number from FHSAA? If the athlete was truly disqualifed, he should never have been given a bib number! If the athlete was "disqualified", FSHAA should never have issued a bib number to this "disqualified" athlete. The FSHAA should only issue bib numbers to meet eligible athletes.
05/17/2016 9:06:57 AM
Coach
@BookerTalmadge Yes, the coach should know the rules and the fact that the athlete in question had a DNS from Region 4A 4. Furthermore, he should know the consequences for running him illegally in the 4x400 at 4A R meet after a no show (DNS) in the 400m which preceded the 4x400. I believe Dave Halliday, Head Boys’ and Girls’ Track and Cross Country Coach at Flagler Palm Coast HS addressed this issue and put it to rest last week on the forum. Why you continue to blame FHSAA is beyond comprehension.
@BookerTalmadge

Yes, the coach should know the rules and the fact that the athlete in question had a DNS from Region 4A 4. Furthermore, he should know the consequences for running him illegally in the 4x400 at 4A R meet after a no show (DNS) in the 400m which preceded the 4x400. I believe Dave Halliday, Head Boys' and Girls' Track and Cross Country Coach at Flagler Palm Coast HS addressed this issue and put it to rest last week on the forum. Why you continue to blame FHSAA is beyond comprehension.
05/17/2016 11:22:29 AM
User
My problem with this has nothing to do with whether or not the coach knows the rule. My problem with this is that it is a cruel and brutally harsh rule that overly penalizes the athlete and the athletes team simply for missing a race. A DNS should be treated just like a DNF and the athlete should be allowed to continue in any other event in which they were scheduled to compete. Who made this ridiculous rash rule anyway? Why? FHSAA should be encouraging participation, not preventing athletes from participating in events in which they were not disqualified. Do you think it was right for FHSAA to issue a bib number to a disqualifed athlete? NO, I do not think FHSAA should have issued a bib number to a "disqualified" athlete. FHSAA is partly to blame for issuing a bib number this this disqualifed athlete. If FHSAA was on top of their game like they should have been, and not issued a bib number to an athlete they knew to be disqualified since the regional meet, I wouldn't be saying anything about bib numbers. The bottom line is this: We need to get this overly harsh, cruel rule changed!
My problem with this has nothing to do with whether or not the coach knows the rule.

My problem with this is that it is a cruel and brutally harsh rule that overly penalizes the athlete and the athletes team simply for missing a race. A DNS should be treated just like a DNF and the athlete should be allowed to continue in any other event in which they were scheduled to compete.

Who made this ridiculous rash rule anyway? Why? FHSAA should be encouraging participation, not preventing athletes from participating in events in which they were not disqualified.

Do you think it was right for FHSAA to issue a bib number to a disqualifed athlete? NO, I do not think FHSAA should have issued a bib number to a "disqualified" athlete. FHSAA is partly to blame for issuing a bib number this this disqualifed athlete. If FHSAA was on top of their game like they should have been, and not issued a bib number to an athlete they knew to be disqualified since the regional meet, I wouldn't be saying anything about bib numbers.

The bottom line is this: We need to get this overly harsh, cruel rule changed!
05/17/2016 11:26:33 PM
User
SUBSCRIBER
[quote=BookerTalmadge] A kid could simply show up to a meet late because they were stuck in traffic and miss their first event. His entire team could already be there and checked in. I don't know if it's the same in Florida, but in our state athletes MUST travel to any meet other than a home meet with a coach. No exceptions. The same DNS rule is enforced at the Kansas Relays - if you enter the meet and DNS in one event, you are scratched from all other events. I personally don't like the rule. Have you petitioned your state's rules committee? Typically it takes a submission of the proposed re-write along with a rationale. It takes a bit of effort, but it seems like you've got the motivation to get it done. Good Luck.
BookerTalmadge wrote:
A kid could simply show up to a meet late because they were stuck in traffic and miss their first event. His entire team could already be there and checked in.

I don't know if it's the same in Florida, but in our state athletes MUST travel to any meet other than a home meet with a coach. No exceptions.

The same DNS rule is enforced at the Kansas Relays - if you enter the meet and DNS in one event, you are scratched from all other events. I personally don't like the rule.

Have you petitioned your state's rules committee? Typically it takes a submission of the proposed re-write along with a rationale. It takes a bit of effort, but it seems like you've got the motivation to get it done. Good Luck.
05/19/2016 2:48:44 PM
User
SUBSCRIBER
To use "legal" language, I think the rule is reasonably calculated to accomplish a legitimate purpose by the FSHAA-- to make sure that athletes don't take spots in Championship events they don't intend to run. Could the rule be improved, sure, and I'd applaud the improvement. But the rule is not unjust, nor was it's application in the 4A State Meet-- and I'm a homer that would have loved to see the Dade team, America, win. I'm a fan of the kids and coaches who got them there. I think its an disservice to teach kids to look for institutional bias or injustice when it isn't present in the circumstance. All of this energy about the rule is a misdirection and avoidance of taking individual responsibility-- which is actually a valuable lesson. One that is worth more than a State Title. I know how hard those kids worked. They got let down by a mistake by people who love them. They should know their leaders are big enough to own it. Those are leaders worth following. These coaches work tirelessly for their kids and I know will learn from it.
To use "legal" language, I think the rule is reasonably calculated to accomplish a legitimate purpose by the FSHAA-- to make sure that athletes don't take spots in Championship events they don't intend to run. Could the rule be improved, sure, and I'd applaud the improvement. But the rule is not unjust, nor was it's application in the 4A State Meet-- and I'm a homer that would have loved to see the Dade team, America, win. I'm a fan of the kids and coaches who got them there. I think its an disservice to teach kids to look for institutional bias or injustice when it isn't present in the circumstance. All of this energy about the rule is a misdirection and avoidance of taking individual responsibility-- which is actually a valuable lesson. One that is worth more than a State Title. I know how hard those kids worked. They got let down by a mistake by people who love them. They should know their leaders are big enough to own it. Those are leaders worth following. These coaches work tirelessly for their kids and I know will learn from it.
05/19/2016 10:00:08 PM
User
Again, none of this changes the fact that this is a cruel rule that is overly harsh and overly penalizes the athlete simply for missing one race. The athlete should be allowed to participate in all of the other events in which they qualified and in future meets in the championship series. This rule absolutely does not "make sure that athletes don't take spots in Championship events they don't intend to run." In fact, this rule encourages athletes who don't want to participate in events in which they have qualified to do things like going to the starting line and taking two steps and quitting, creating a "Did Not Finish" (DNF) instead of a Did Not Start (DNS). A DNF does not disqualify the athlete from future events in the meet or from future meets in the championship series. What is worse; intentional non-participation (DNF) or unintentional accidental non-participation(DNS)? This rule allows a kid who purposefully does not want to run in an event in which they qualified to continue the meet and continue into the championship series by purposefully creating a DNF, but a kid who makes a huge mistake an shows up a little late and accidentally misses an event (DNS) is kicked out for the rest of the meet and the rest of the championship series. This is total B.S!! We can all can see the injustice in this overly harsh, cruel rule... unless we're practicing cognitive dissonance. This rule is wrongly preventing athletes from participating in events for which they qualified. This rule is a cancer on the sport of high school track and field in Florida. We need to get rid of this rule. It is our duty to correct this rule and the gross injustice created by this overly harsh and cruel rule. For those who sit back and say nothing, fearful of upsetting the status quo and letting this cruel unjust rule continue to exist, Dante once said,"the hottest places in hell are reserved for those who in a period of moral crisis maintain their neutrality. This is not the time to be neutral. This is the time to stand up for what is right! If you see something that is wrong, you should try to correct that wrong. This is the lesson we should be teaching our student athletes. It is a disservice to teach our kids to cower in the face of injustice. It is a disservice to serve as an example of someone who sits back and does nothing while their students right to participate is being hijacked by an unjust rule under the guise of "teaching personal responsibility." It is totally irresponsible to stand back and say nothing when you have the ability to speak up for our athletes who are being wronged by this rule. What possible lesson can a student athlete learn from being abused by this a cruel overly harsh rule?
Again, none of this changes the fact that this is a cruel rule that is overly harsh and overly penalizes the athlete simply for missing one race. The athlete should be allowed to participate in all of the other events in which they qualified and in future meets in the championship series. This rule absolutely does not "make sure that athletes don't take spots in Championship events they don't intend to run." In fact, this rule encourages athletes who don't want to participate in events in which they have qualified to do things like going to the starting line and taking two steps and quitting, creating a "Did Not Finish" (DNF) instead of a Did Not Start (DNS). A DNF does not disqualify the athlete from future events in the meet or from future meets in the championship series.

What is worse; intentional non-participation (DNF) or unintentional accidental non-participation(DNS)? This rule allows a kid who purposefully does not want to run in an event in which they qualified to continue the meet and continue into the championship series by purposefully creating a DNF, but a kid who makes a huge mistake an shows up a little late and accidentally misses an event (DNS) is kicked out for the rest of the meet and the rest of the championship series. This is total B.S!!

We can all can see the injustice in this overly harsh, cruel rule... unless we're practicing cognitive dissonance. This rule is wrongly preventing athletes from participating in events for which they qualified. This rule is a cancer on the sport of high school track and field in Florida. We need to get rid of this rule. It is our duty to correct this rule and the gross injustice created by this overly harsh and cruel rule.

For those who sit back and say nothing, fearful of upsetting the status quo and letting this cruel unjust rule continue to exist, Dante once said,"the hottest places in hell are reserved for those who in a period of moral crisis maintain their neutrality. This is not the time to be neutral. This is the time to stand up for what is right! If you see something that is wrong, you should try to correct that wrong. This is the lesson we should be teaching our student athletes. It is a disservice to teach our kids to cower in the face of injustice. It is a disservice to serve as an example of someone who sits back and does nothing while their students right to participate is being hijacked by an unjust rule under the guise of "teaching personal responsibility." It is totally irresponsible to stand back and say nothing when you have the ability to speak up for our athletes who are being wronged by this rule. What possible lesson can a student athlete learn from being abused by this a cruel overly harsh rule?
05/19/2016 11:37:20 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
I would also like to see this rule changed. There are many reasons an athlete is not able to contest an event at a particular time. Too often an athlete show up at the line and not run when the gun goes off, resulting in a DNF and technically participation in the event by the athlete. But in the end the athlete still did not run so why having to go through all that. Next rule I would like to see change is the jewelry rule. The NFHS got rid of it so why is the FHSAA still holding on to it.
I would also like to see this rule changed. There are many reasons an athlete is not able to contest an event at a particular time. Too often an athlete show up at the line and not run when the gun goes off, resulting in a DNF and technically participation in the event by the athlete. But in the end the athlete still did not run so why having to go through all that.

Next rule I would like to see change is the jewelry rule. The NFHS got rid of it so why is the FHSAA still holding on to it.
05/20/2016 11:05:59 AM
User
I can't choose either option. Question 1 is a double negative, while question 2 could be answered yes, no or maybe without question 1 being asked! These kids are human and can make mistakes like showing up late for their event is one, but isn't that a coach's responsibility. Coach's are human too and can make mistakes but are the understaffed over worked, possible but that is a another issue. Often coaches for tactical reasons choose to withhold runners, jumpers, throwers from an event other times due to medical issues an site a runner cannot compete if the later is true there should be a doctor on site to clear the runners, jumpers, throwers before competing in the next event! I would like to see that the runners run there required events but if they can't or would my issue is that there were other kids that wanted to compete back can't be the kid bailing out of an event kept them from attending the state meet. But Instead of having the DNS/DNF I would believe there should & could an alternative plan in place which would better serve the kids that trained & worked hard. After all, this is all about the kids! I would purpose that the 17th & 18th seeds go to the state meet as alternates. Alternates would warm up with the other finalist. When the runners are require to report to the line it the participant or team does not arrived by 1 minute prior to event start, the alternates will compete in their place. If they show up after the minute has past they can still compete in the race depending on facilities status on limited lane availability in some relays situations, but the alternates will still be allowed to compete. Any fees that are normally be collected by the FHSAA for competing at state would be waived for all alternates whether they get to compete or not. This would eliminate having less then 16 competitors and team in the finals. This issue has always bugged me especially after the 1st 2 finishers in the mile my hear did not show for the 2 mile they quailfied for, I just thought about those other young runners that could have had their shot at state by no due to choices someone else made!
I can't choose either option. Question 1 is a double negative, while question 2 could be answered yes, no or maybe without question 1 being asked!

These kids are human and can make mistakes like showing up late for their event is one, but isn't that a coach's responsibility. Coach's are human too and can make mistakes but are the understaffed over worked, possible but that is a another issue.

Often coaches for tactical reasons choose to withhold runners, jumpers, throwers from an event other times due to medical issues an site a runner cannot compete if the later is true there should be a doctor on site to clear the runners, jumpers, throwers before competing in the next event!

I would like to see that the runners run there required events but if they can't or would my issue is that there were other kids that wanted to compete back can't be the kid bailing out of an event kept them from attending the state meet.
But Instead of having the DNS/DNF I would believe there should & could an alternative plan in place which would better serve the kids that trained & worked hard. After all, this is all about the kids!

I would purpose that the 17th & 18th seeds go to the state meet as alternates. Alternates would warm up with the other finalist. When the runners are require to report to the line it the participant or team does not arrived by 1 minute prior to event start, the alternates will compete in their place. If they show up after the minute has past they can still compete in the race depending on facilities status on limited lane availability in some relays situations, but the alternates will still be allowed to compete. Any fees that are normally be collected by the FHSAA for competing at state would be waived for all alternates whether they get to compete or not. This would eliminate having less then 16 competitors and team in the finals.

This issue has always bugged me especially after the 1st 2 finishers in the mile my hear did not show for the 2 mile they quailfied for, I just thought about those other young runners that could have had their shot at state by no due to choices someone else made!
05/21/2016 2:48:20 PM
User
I understand your point about the Miler's not showing up for the 2 mile after they qualified. Other people could have run. With that being said, If you don't qualify for a meet, you should not be able to run in the meet. Qualifying for the meet gives you the special privilege of deciding wheter you want to DNF or not DNF by starting the race, taking two step and quitting. That is the way the rule is set up right now. If you don't want to run in an event, you simply start, take 2 steps and quit. Yes others could have run if there was a DNS. But also others could have run is there was an DNF. Why does a DNF which prevented others from running not get the athlete penalized by kicking them out of the championship series when a DNS does? This makes no sense. What is the point of this rule... Is the point of this rule to totally screw an athlete out of competing in the championship series because they were a little late for a pre championship meet in the series. This rule makes no sense. Athletes should be allowed to compete in all of the events in which they qualified.
I understand your point about the Miler's not showing up for the 2 mile after they qualified. Other people could have run.

With that being said, If you don't qualify for a meet, you should not be able to run in the meet. Qualifying for the meet gives you the special privilege of deciding wheter you want to DNF or not DNF by starting the race, taking two step and quitting. That is the way the rule is set up right now. If you don't want to run in an event, you simply start, take 2 steps and quit.

Yes others could have run if there was a DNS. But also others could have run is there was an DNF. Why does a DNF which prevented others from running not get the athlete penalized by kicking them out of the championship series when a DNS does? This makes no sense.

What is the point of this rule... Is the point of this rule to totally screw an athlete out of competing in the championship series because they were a little late for a pre championship meet in the series.

This rule makes no sense. Athletes should be allowed to compete in all of the events in which they qualified.
01/29/2020 10:25:46 PM
User
@BookerTalmadge This post is a bit old, but I feel I should set it straight. This whole rule being cruel thing isnt true. I personally have avoided an event in favor of running another, of course, I didn't know about the rule when I did this but it makes sense to me. For the whole showing up late thing, that's on the athlete. If they really cared about their event, they should be at the meet at least an hour early, and also athletes usually show up with the team. These very rare circumstances you're talking about shouldn't happen, and if they do happen it's the athlete's fault they were late. The entire purpose of this rule is simply to prevent athletes from basically cheating and avoiding certain events in favor of others. This could be due to a slight injury or lack of endurance or maybe the events are all close together, I've been in all these situations and can personally say it's perfectly easy to tough it out and push through. But a DNS can really be the same as saying the athlete scratched themselves and is giving themselves an advantage. It sucks to have this happen to you, I would know, but in the end, that's just what happens, and I think the best way to defeat the rule is to fully educate your athletes and make sure you can get them to the meet on time. The rule isn't "B.S", it isn't even unfair. Not everyone is good, and if athletes aren't on top of their time management that sucks for them. As long as people are aware of these rules then they are just and should exist, just like laws. Don't blame the rules for your own faults.
@BookerTalmadge
This post is a bit old, but I feel I should set it straight. This whole rule being cruel thing isnt true. I personally have avoided an event in favor of running another, of course, I didn't know about the rule when I did this but it makes sense to me. For the whole showing up late thing, that's on the athlete. If they really cared about their event, they should be at the meet at least an hour early, and also athletes usually show up with the team. These very rare circumstances you're talking about shouldn't happen, and if they do happen it's the athlete's fault they were late.

The entire purpose of this rule is simply to prevent athletes from basically cheating and avoiding certain events in favor of others. This could be due to a slight injury or lack of endurance or maybe the events are all close together, I've been in all these situations and can personally say it's perfectly easy to tough it out and push through. But a DNS can really be the same as saying the athlete scratched themselves and is giving themselves an advantage. It sucks to have this happen to you, I would know, but in the end, that's just what happens, and I think the best way to defeat the rule is to fully educate your athletes and make sure you can get them to the meet on time. The rule isn't "B.S", it isn't even unfair. Not everyone is good, and if athletes aren't on top of their time management that sucks for them. As long as people are aware of these rules then they are just and should exist, just like laws.

Don't blame the rules for your own faults.
02/11/2020 11:29:27 AM
User
SUBSCRIBER
I am going to have to say Depends on what there coach wants the athlete to do or if the coach wants to put them in a different event
I am going to have to say Depends on what there coach wants the athlete to do or if the coach wants to put them in a different event

You must be logged in to comment.

Click Here to Log In.