2011 Cross Country Highlights
Click here for flash updates on our MileSplit facebook page!
Shore Coaches Invitational, NJ
Cheserek just before the 1 mile and 2 mile. (Photos by MaroonNews)
- Jim Lambert feature on Cheserek
- Video Coverage
- MaroonNews (124 photos)
- SJPixShooter (385 photos)
- dfolsom (697 photos)
- mgd11 (1782 photos)
- Complete Previews and Coverage
- Start lists - Boys | Girls
Boys Championship: US#1 Edward Cheserek (St. Benedict's Prep NJ) took down yet another course record, this time Joe Rosa's historic 14:56 record. Cheserek rolled to a time of 14:53 on a sloppy Holmdel course. US#2 Christian Brothers Academy NJ rolled to the team win with an average of 16:09, just 5 seconds off their 2010 team average at the MOC! CBA took places 2-6 behind Cheserek to score 15 points in what was truly an impressive display of team strength.
Girls Championship: US#20 Voorhees NJ girls won a tight battle over Mt. St. Dominic NJ with a score of 40 to 43! Tara Hanley (Chatham NJ) won the individual title with a time of 18:59.
- Boys C Race: Luke Dermoday (Hightstown) won with a time of 16:45. Princeton NJ won with 86 points.
- Boys B Race: Blake Udland (Millburn NJ) rolled to a 15:52 win over Jon Harper (Phillipsburg) who ran 15:54. Ridgewood NJ boys won with an average of 16:56 and 71 points.
- Boys A Race: Tim Ball (Piscataway NJ) rolled to the win with a quick 15:39 clocking. Hillsborough NJ boys win with 92 points.
- Girls C Race: Claudia Disomma (Sparta) won in 19:05. Northern Highlands NJ beat Princeton NJ on a tie-breaker as both teams scored 90 points.
- Girls B Race: Mackenzie Barry (West Morris Mendham) won the individual title with a time of 19:13 and Ridge NJ won the team title with 60 points.
- Girls A Race: US#16 Megan Lacy (Cherokee NJ) rolled to the fastest time of the day, winning big in 18:19 by 21 seconds. West Chester Henderson PA won the team title with 68 points.
Palos Verdes Invitational, CA
- Boys Varsity Match Races: US#23 Palos Verdes CA dominated by winning 5 out of the 7 matches and finishing 2nd in the other 2. Jonah Diaz smoked the course in the Varsity #1 race by setting a new course record with a blazing time of 9:48.93 over the 2 mile layout. Justin Unno won the Varsity #2 race with a time of 10:16.99. In the Varsity #3 race Ryland Dreibelbis was 2nd in 10:27.25 as Gabriel Michaels (Peninsula) won in 10:23.29. In the Varsity #4 race Tomas Snur was also runner-up in 10:42.29 as Gerardo Granados (Hart) won in 10:33.33. Alec Dunton won the Varsity #5 race in 10:27.49. In the Varsity #6 race Daniel Rieger won in 10:31.52 while Mark Sidor won the Varsity #7 race in 10:51.89.
- Girls Varsity Match Races: The Palos Verdes CA girls were dominate as well, winning 5 races along with a runner-up finish and 4th place. In the Varsity #1 race Rebecca Mehra set the course on fire with a new course record time of 11:44.90, to win by a whopping 52 seconds over just 2 miles of racing! In the Varsity #2 race Kylie Butler won with a time of 12:27.33 while Cassidy Webber was 2nd in the Varsity #3 race in 12:53.83. Jeanette Zambrano (Bolsa Grande) won the race in 12:36.53. In the Varsity #4 race Michelle Kagei won in 13:05.48 while Skylar Thiel won the Varsity #5 race in 12:54.60. Lauren Gagnon won the Varsity #6 race in 13:17.64 and Kimberly Webber was 4th in the Varsity #7 race in 14:31.09.
Jesse Owens Classic, AL
- US#11 Brock Baker (Oakland TN) rolled to the win in the Boys Gold Elite race with a smoking 15:09.19, 25 seconds up on second place Paul Stuart (Brentwood), 15:34.23. Brentwood GA rolled with the team title with 60 points and an impressive 15:52.89 team average.
- Lily Williams (Chiles FL) and Carmen Carlos (McGill-Toolen AL) were locked in a battle in the Girls Gold Elite race with Williams edging out in 17:29.05 to 17:32.74. Chiles FL dominated the team competition with a solid 85 points and 18:37.48 average.
Paul Short Run, PA
Julie Macedo finishing off her stellar run. (Photo by Don Rich)
- Photos: PTXC | PMPhotography | Charles Stone
- Race videos: Girls Brown | Boys Brown
- Video interviews: Julie Macedo | Dustin Wilson | Tori Gerlach
- US#2 Julie Macedo (Charter) blasted a 17:26 5k over the soggy Lehigh layout to notch yet another impressive win. The mark was #3 All-Time behind Aislinn Ryan (NY) and Aisling Cuffe (NY).
- US#17 Dustin Wilson (Chestnut Hill Adademy) won the boys race with a solid 15:46 clocking.
Marion County XC Championships, IN
- US#2 Futsum Zeinasellassie (North Central IN) rolled to his third straight win wtih a time of 15:17.7 and a 19 second gap over Luke Brahm (Ben Davis IN) 15:36. Jason Crist was 3rd in 15:38.6.
- Lawrence Central IN took down North Central IN 52 to 58 in team competition.
- Brenna Poulsen (North Central) won the girls race convincingly in 18:25.6 by a margin of 35 seconds.
- Franklin Central IN won with 34 points.
Great American Cross Country Festival, NC
Daniel Moore (left) found a way to get by US#4 Jacob Burcham (right). (Photos by Jeff George)
Haley Pierce is stellar in her debut for Tatnal. (Photo by Jeff George)
- Photos: Steve Lee | Jeff George
- Video Interviews: Daniel Moore | Haley Pierce & Tatnall | Good Counsel boys | Cardinal O'Hara boys | Dan Crowley
- Race Footage: Boys Seeded Race
- Daniel Moore (Holy Trinity FL) pulled a huge upset by running a course record 14:57.6 over the 5k layout to defeat US#4 Jacob Burcham (WV), who ran 15:00.2. Jacob Thomson (Holy Cross KY) was 3rd in 15:02.8. O'Hara PA boys got the team win with 119 points.
- US#25 Haley Pierce (Tatnall DE) opened her season with little doubts as she goes 17:32.1 for the win. Katie Fortner (Cave Spring VA) ran impressive as a frosh, going 17:35.4 for 2nd. US#3 Saratoga Springs NY had the edge over US#5 Tatnall DE in the team race with 64 points to 72 points.
- US#7 Wesley Frazier (NC) won the women's University ROC with a time of 17:41.3.
FLRunners.com Invitational 12, FL
Brickell was on point as he surged past Clemente for the win. (Photos by Ralph Epifanio)
Oritz gets some space late in the race to nab the win. (Photo by Jeff Adams)
- Boys ROC: Josh Brickell | Elliot Clemente | Carlos Miranda
- Girls ROC: Olivia Ortiz | Bridget Blake | Shelby Davidson
- Olympian Christin Wurth-Thomas
- More interviews (25 total!)
- Race Video
- Photo Albums: Jeff Adams (8000+) | Ralph Epifanio (3000+)
- Full Coverage Article
- Boys ROC: Josh Brickell (GA) won the boys ROC in dominating fashion with a time of 15:02 over US#22 Elliot Clemente (Belen Jesuit) who ran a time of 15:14. Belen Jesuit FL won the boys ROC team title with 50 points and a 15:50.06 average.
- Girls ROC: Olivia Ortiz (Lakewood Ranch) won with a solid time of 17:35 over Bridget Blake (Dr. Phillips), 17:42, and US#20 Shelby Davidson (Cocoa Beach), 17:45. Estero FL won the team title with 70 points.
- Boys Invitational: Mark Mutz (Lakeland Christian) won a close one with a time of 16:03.34 while Aesop Brown (Fort Myers) was 2nd in 16:07.24. Fort Myers FL won the team title with 100 points.
- Girls Invitational: Alex Eaton (St. Petersburg) won with a solid 18:50.09 over Kelly Fahey (Trinity Prep) who ran 18:55.98 for 2nd. Trinity Prep FL won the team fight with 200 points.
- Boys Large School: Thomas Christenberry (HB Plant) won the individual race with a time of 16:10.20 while HB Plant ran away with the team title with 32 points.
- Girls Large School: Mackenzie Wilson (Episcopal) won in 19:15.80 while St. Cloud won the team race with 74 points.
- Boys Varsity Open: Jims Themogene (American Heritage) won with the only sub-17 time of 16:53.64. St. Petersburg won the team crown with 89 points.
- Girls Varsity Open: Ashley Heitling (Mount Dora) ran away with this one, winning by 1:11 in a time of 18:39.92. Jensen Beach won a close one over East Lake 151 to 155 with Tavares back at just 156.
- Boys Small School: Blake Arnold (Admiral Farragut Academy) won with a time of 16:55.46 while Astronaut won the team crown with 134 points.
- Girls Small School: Adair Lyden (Westminster Academy) won by a large gap of 34 seconds with a time of 19:52.80. Westminster Academy also took team honors with a score of 42 points.
Ypsilanti Legends Invitational, MI
- Taylor Manett (Rockford) won the girls race over Hannah Meier (Grosse Pointe South) with a time of 17:39.80. Meier was 2nd in 17:46.90. Saline MI won the team battle over Grosse Pointe South MI 71 to 92.
- Nick Renberg (Saline) ran a great race for a frosh, winning with a time of 15:43.80, the only time under 16 on the day. Rockford MI rolled in the team race with a winning point total of 64 points.
Maine XC Festival of Champions, ME
- Photos by Derek Veilleux
- Winners Table
- Full Coverage Article
- Video Coverage
- US#8 Abbey Leonardi (Kennebunk) rolled to an 18:16.55 victory on a sloppy course to win by 49 seconds.
- Matthew McClintock (Madison) won the boys seeded race in 16:08.07.
McNeil Invitational, TX
Daniel Vertiz pulls away for the win. (Photo by Alex Aldaco)
Devin Clark sit in a pack with Sandie Raines and Jackie Choucair. (Photo by Alex Aldaco)
- Photos by Alex Aldaco
- Meet Summary: Girls | Boys
- US#8 Daniel Vertiz (San Antonio Reagan) used a late surge and quick time of 15:00.40 to beat a great run by Marcos Vallejo (Llano), who ran 15:05.30, in the boys varsity Gold race on the site of the UIL State meet. McKinney Boyd TX dominated the team race with 72 points and 16:11.64 team average.
- In the girls varsity Gold race Devin Clark (Spring Branch) won a close one over Sandie Raines (Humble Kingwood) with times of 17:41.20 to 17:43.60. Jackie Choucair (Hockaday School) was 3rd in 17:47.50. Humble Kingwood TX rolled in the girls race with 41 points scored and an 18:27.58 average.
Salesianum Invitational, DE
McGovern just cruising on her way to a CR. (Photo by Charles Stone)
- Girls Championship Race: Meghan McGovern (North Penn) rolled to a course record time of 18:42.77, winning by 1:25! North Penn PA rolled over Great Valley PA in team competiton 38 to 61.
- Boys Championship Race: Mike Crozier (Gonzaga College) won the boys race with a time of 16:39.43. Salesianum DE edged past North Penn PA 48 to 51 in team racing.
- Boys Large Schools: Drew Magaha (Upper Moreland) ran the fastest time of the day out of this race with a time of 16:22.18. Sam Hibbs (Hatboro Horsham) was 2nd in 16:38.67. Archbishop Wood PA took down Lower Merion PA 62 to 82.
McQuaid Invitational, NY
Shaker NY after their AAA race win. (Photo by Brian Sparacino)
- Boys Seeded Varsity AAA: US#14 Shaker NY got through another battle with US#22 Rush Henrietta NY 79 to 82. Shaker's Mike Libruk took the individual crown with a time of 15:28.
- Girls Seeded Varsity AAA: US#23 Laura Leff (West Genesee) won with the fastest time of the day in 17:14.
- Boys Seeded Varsity A: Cameron Bruce (Lansing NY) won with a solid time of 15:20. North East PA won the team title.
- Girls Seeded Varsity A: Kennedy Weisner (Elk County Catholic PA) won in 17:50. Maple Grove NY won the team title.
- Boys Seeded Varsity AA: Tony Howkins (Walsh Jesuit OH) won with a time of 15:24.
- Girls Seeded Varsity AA: Danielle Martino (Burnt Hills NY) won with a time of 18:10. US#21 Burnt Hills NY won the team title.
Tomahawk Twilight Invitational, WA
- 1A-3A girls: US#11 Maddie Meyers (Northwest School) smoked the field for a win by 58 seconds with a time of 17:40.10. Interlake won the team title with 55 points.
- 1A-3A boys: Brian Masterson Lakeside School, took the race with a time of 15:55.30 over Conner Johnson (Sehome), 2nd in 15:57.20. Sehome won the team race with 76 points.
- 4A boys: Symmes Keegan (Skyline) won with the fastest time of the day, a 15:54 clocking. Second went to Steven Statham (Cascade-Everett) who went 15:56.30. Garfield edged by Skyline 102 to 117.
- 4A girls: Chandler Olson (Woodiniville) won with a time of 18:36.90. Eastlake won the team title with 97 points.
OSU Cowboy Jamboree, OK
- 6A girls: Rebecca Ulrich (Melissa) won with a quick XC 2 mile time of 11:03.45 to edge past Emily Helms (Mustang), 11:04.12. Jenks won the team title with 72 points.
- 6A boys: Will Aenchbacker (Bentonville) won with a 15:49.98 clocking over the 5k layout to lead Bentonville to the team title with 135 points.
- 4A-5A boys: Chris Mooneyham (Glendale) won with a time of 16:23.61 over Max Jobson (Liberty North), who ran 16:24.32. Glendale won the team title as well with 53 points.
- 4A-5A girls: Sammy Laurenzo (Liberty North) won with a time of 11:14.81 but Randall wins with 41 points.
- 3A boys: Chris Lowery (Chandler) won with a time of 16:20.05. Plainview won the team title with 73 points.
21st Annual Woods Trail Run, VT
- US#22 Champlain Valley (VT) won the girls title with 38 points by going 1-3-6-7 in the combined results. Taylor Spillane had the fastest time of the day, crossing the line in 19:57.
- Amity High School of Connecticut won the boys combined title with 96 points; 17 points ahead of in state rival Fairfield Prep. Conor Rog of Fairfield Prep had the fastest time of the day, clocking in at 17:02.
Wheaton North Falcon Classic, IL
- Kaylee Flanagan (Lake Park IL) goes 16:48.2 for 2 miles to defeat Amanda Fox (Naperville Central) who ran 16:58.2.
- New Trier IL girls ran impressively in the 7 flights as Courtney Ackerman was 5th in Flight 1 in 17:24.5, Jessica Ackerman won Flight 2 in 17:33.3, Mimi Smith won Flight 3 in 17:43.5, Julianne Jackson won Flight 4 in 17:59.10, Molly Krueger won Flight 5 in 18:02.5 and Kathleen Keene won Flight 6 in 18:32.80.
Alaska State XC Championships, AK
- Boys 1A-2A-3A Champs: Miles Knotek (Seward AK) won the individual title with a time of 16:23. Grace AK won the team title with 38 points.
- Boys 4A Champs: Kuba Grzeda (West Valley AK) won a tight battle up front in 16:01 over Max Romey (Service AK) who ran 16:04. Service AK won the team title with 51 points.
- Girls 1A-2A-3A Champs: Elle Arnold (Grace AK) won a 2 horse race over Kailey Wilson (Kenny Lake AK) 19:25 to 19:26. Grace AK dominated the race with a score of just 20 points.
- Girls 4A Champs: Megan Edic (Lathrop) won the girls title with the fastest time of the day with a clocking of 18:38 over Lydia Blanchet (West Anchorage), 18:41. Wasilla AK won the team title with 61 points.
Tully Invitational, NY
- US#1 Fayetteville-Manlius NY girls, resting their top-8, pulled off the win with 31 points over Cicero-North Syracuse, 48 points.
- The US#4 Fayetteville-Manlius NY boys rested and the younger runners got to represent the team as they finished 3rd behind Cicero-North Syracuse and Tully.
KC Metro Championships, MO
(Photos by Gilbert Castillo)
- Meet Summary Article
- Photo album
- Samantha Nightingale rolled to another big win with a time of 17:15.70, 42 seconds up on second place.
- Zach Herriott (Rockhurst) won the boys varsity race with a solid time of 15:21.30.
Desert Twilight XC Festival, AZ
Highlights - 102 degrees at the start of the meet and 95 at the finish! It was HOT!
- Sarah Fakler (Jr., Xavier College Prep) won the girls sweepstakes race at the Twilight meet finishing in 17:30.9 and setting a new course record. Fakler was 31 seconds ahead of 2nd place finisher Rolonda Jumbo (Sr., Chinle) who finished in 18:01.3
- Cibola junior Bernie Montoya ran a swift 15:02.6 out kicking 2nd place finisher Nick Hartle (Sr., Centannial, NV) in the final 300 meters.
- US#6 Xavier College Prep AZ showed just why they are ranked in the top 10 finishing the race with all 7 of their runners in the top 20. The top 5 finishers finished in 1, 4, 5, 7 and 8 with 25 points. Mesa Mt. View took second with 117 points.
- On the boys side Alabama team Mountain brook won the event with 174 points.
Peoria Central Invitational, IL
- The girls race was rolling as Lindsey Rakosnik (Glenbard East) and Brooke Wolfe (Prospect) went under 17. Lindsey won in 16:48 while Brooke was 16:59.44.
- Michael Clevenger (Macarthur) won the boys varsity race in 14:18.16, just ahead of Garrett Sweatt (Edwardsville), who was 2nd in 14:21.64.
Brooks Harrier Classic, OR
Travis Neuman en route to a course record. (Photo by Leo Collins)
- Photos by LeoRun
- Video Interviews: Travis Neuman | Megan Fristoe
- Travis Neuman won the boys varsity race with a new course record time of 15:06.
- Megan Fristoe won the girls race in 17:53.
Sunfair Invitational, WA
- Flight 7: US#9 Amy-Eloise Neale (Glacier Peak) dominated a super field as she clocked a winning course record time of 17:03.9. US#12 Katie Knight (North Central) was 2nd in 17:19.5 while US#10 Kendra Weitz (Shadle Park) was 3rd in 17:49.7. US#7 Anthony Armstrong (Kamiakan) edged by US#6 Andrew Gardner (Mead) in an epic duel as they clocked times of 15:07.7 to 15:09.6.
- Flight 6: Jaziel Rodriguez (Eisenhower) won the boys race with a time of 15:49.8. Katie Bianchini (Glacier Peak) won the girls race in 18:02.3.
- Flight 5: Alejandro Cisneros (Hermiston) won the boys race in a clocking of 15:53.9 and Austen Reiter (Camas) won the girls race in 19:08.3.
- Flight 4: Javier Velasco (Hermiston) took the boys race in 16:20.7. Phacelia Cramer (South Eugene) won the girls race in 19:28.4.
- Flight 3: Max Hampton (Eagle) won the boys race with a time of 16:21 and Lindsay Wourms (Camas) won the girls race in 19:39.8.
- Flight 2: Nathan Wadhwani (Terry Fox) won the boys race in 16:37.4. Samantha Northrop (Glacier Peak) won the girls race in 20:08.2.
- Flight 1: Christian Rodriguez (Kamaikan) won the boys race in 16:44.5. Katie Arndorfer (Jesuit) won the girls race in 20:22.
Greater Louisville Classic, KY
Weishaar begins to pull away. (Photo by Jonathan Grooms)
- Photo albums: KYXCCoach | jonathan
- Live updates
- High school preview
- College preview
- Boys Varsity race: Luke Weishaar (Oldham County) won a tight one in 15:43.19 while Alden Dixon (ARLI) was 2nd in 15:45.17. Eastern KY ran away with the team title with 57 points.
- Girls Varsity race: Cassidy Hale (DuPont Manual) won big with a time of 18:21.86. Bowling Green won a close one over DuPont Manual 64 to 82.
Wendys Invitational, NC
(Photos by John Olson)
- In the boys invitational race Mitch McLeod (Chapel Hill) won with a time of 15:33 over teammate Sam Miner, 15:42. Chapel Hill won the team title with 104 points.
- In the boys open race Will Templeton (Hardin Valley) won the race with a time of 15:27, the fastest time of the day.
- In the girls invitational race Darby Middlebrook (Watauga) won convincingly in 17:36. Audrey Kell won the team title with 83 points.
Keller XC Classic, TX
- US#5 Southlake Carroll TX boys will be running here this weekend.
Saucony/TCA Titan Thunder Invitational, CO
- Erin Hooker (Fort Collins CO) won the girls varsity race in 18:03.42, a dominating 27 secoond win.
- US#10 Fort Collins CO girls were upset by The Classical Academy CO, 44 to 59.
- Griffin Hay (Fort Collins CO) led two teammates over the line as he won in 15:44.02.
- US#9 Fort Collins CO easily took the win with 52 points.
Midwest Meet of Champions, OH
- Race Videos: Boys ROC| Girls ROC | All race video
- Boys Race of Champions: Adrian Ross (Unioto) won a tight battle up front with a time of 15:57.10. Nick Pupino (Copley) was 2nd in 15:58.40 and US#13 Tsehaye Hiluf (Reynoldsburg) was 3rd in 16:01.90. St. Ignatius won the team title with 113 points.
- Girls Race of Champions: Sydney Leiher (Beavercreek) won with a time of 19:26.70. Mason OH won the team title with 92 points.