Photo Credit: SBNation/Student Sports
- - -
Amite (LA) High School graduate Devonta Smith made a little bit of history on Tuesday night, becoming the first wide receiver since Desmond Howard in 1991 to win the Heisman Trophy award, annually given to the top college football player in the country. He was also the third Alabama player to win the award all-time.
For those who follow the award's winners and nominees closely, the Heisman has traditionally had its position biases: Quarterbacks and running backs have received the honor for the last 22 years.
The last time a non-quarterback or non-running back won the award was in 1997, when Michigan cornerback Charles Woodson earned the accolade. But you have to go all the way back to 1991 before you get to the last wide receiver.
Smith was clearly in another league this year at Alabama.
He had 105 receptions for 1,641 yards and 20 touchdowns, helping Alabama to an undefeated regular season, a first round win in the college playoff semifinal and a trip to another national champinoship. He also returned nine kicks for 219 yards and one touchdown.
Of course, this being a track and field website, we had to go backwards in time and check out Smith's performances in high school. He competed all four years in track and field at Amite. And it's very clear that he had a very versatile skill-set, competing anywhere from the 100m to the 400m to the TJ.
With more fine-tuning, Smith had very good potential in a lot of areas.
And so, we're not surprised he's been such a lightning fast receiver at Alabama.
His resume backs up those traits:
HS Track Timeline
|event||PR||2nd best||3rd best|
|100 Meter Dash||10.67||11.05||11.12|
|200 Meter Dash||22.45||NA||NA|
|400 Meter Dash||49.34||50.21||51.36|
- 2nd in the TJ at the LHSAA Class 3A Track and Field Championships in 2015, 44-7.75
- 3rd in the 100m at the LHSAA Class 3A Track and Field Championships in 2017, 10.67
- 3rd in the 400m at the LHSAA Class 3A Track and Field Championships in 2015, 49.34
- 1st in the 400m at the LHSAA Region 3A Championships in 2015, 51.36
- 2nd in the TJ at the LHSAA Region 3A Championships in 2016, 45-3.5
- 2nd in the TJ at the LHSAA Region 3A Championships in 2015, 44-1.5
- 3rd in the 200m at the LHSAA Region 3A Championships in 2017, 22.45
- 4th in the 100m at the LHSAA Region 3A Championships in 2016, 11.12
- 4th in the 400m at the LHSAA Region 3A Championships in 2016, 50.21
- 5th in the 400m at the LHSAA Region 3A Championships in 2014, 53.78
- 5th in the TJ at the LHSAA Region 3A Championships in 2014, 40-9