* The Armory is home to New Balance Nationals Indoor
- - -
Note: MileSplit will continue to bring updated information as it comes
- - -
Update: Thursday, March 12, NSAF (Link)
Thursday, March 12 -- If you ordered pre-paid advance tickets for the 2020 New Balance Nationals Indoor, our March 13-15 championship which was cancelled yesterday, you will receive a refund through our partners at Eventbrite.com. These will be done on whichever payment method you used and in approximately the next week.
- - -
Update: Wednesday, March 11, NSAF (Link):
Late Wednesday, the National Scholastic Athletic Foundation made the decision to cancel New Balance Nationals Indoor based around discussions its medical staff had with the Center for Disease Control as COVID-19 continues to spread across the country.
"Due to the Coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak and out of concern for the safety of all athletes, coaches and families, we've decided it's in the best interest of all parties to cancel the meet," NSAF and NBNI Meet Director Jim Spier said. "It's the hardest decision we've ever had to make."
- - -
Update: Saturday, March 7, NSAF (Link):
Earlier today New York's Governor Cuomo declared a state of emergency for New York and we recognize that has many of you questioning whether that means that NBNI will be cancelled.
We realize that everyone has concerns about the health situation related to the Coronavirus COVID-19. We understand those concerns and want to reassure everyone that we are taking all information into account with our decision to hold the meet as planned.
Here's what you need to know:
1. The health, safety and welfare of our athletes, coaches, fans and staff are of paramount importance to us.
2. New York is not in a crisis situation. The State of Emergency declaration frees up $30 million that will be used to expand testing and purchase items such as masks and protective gear for healthcare workers. Note there are currently over 130,000 people in New York State who have the normal flu.
3. Governor Cuomo also endorsed the statement from World Health Organization (WHO) and the Center for Disease Control (CDC) that, "there is no need to cancel large gatherings across the board at this point." In fact, both the New York and New Jersey State High School Indoor Track and Field Championships are taking place this weekend. And 4 million people continue to ride the New York City subways daily.
4. The NSAF Medical staff, led by Dr. Robert Jones and Dr. Amadeus Mason, have been in contact with the WHO and the CDC and we will continue to monitor those and local NY City and state agencies.
5. Both the WHO and the CDC have provided guidance documents (CDC, WHO) for those who are organizing large events, like NBNI and we and the Armory are following those guidelines and will continue to do so throughout the NBNI weekend.
Here are a few of the steps we are taking:
- Early next week after late registration closes, we will send an informational flyer to all of our participants educating them on infection prevention: washing hands, etc- everything we are all already being advised to do.
- We are asking those who feel sick, even if their symptoms are just mild, to stay home.
- We are encouraging those who recently traveled (less than 14 days) to a higher risk area as defined by the CDC's travel page to consider not coming to the event for their own well-being and those around them.
- We encourage you to visit the CDC website travel recommendation page prior to leaving home for NBNI and follow the CDC's recommendations you'll find there.
- We are providing hand sanitizer dispensers at the entrance to the Armory and throughout the venue.
- We will make frequent announcements throughout NBNI reminding everyone of those precautions while also encouraging those who are feeling ill to return to their hotel room or home.
- Continue our contact and monitoring of the New York Department of Public Health.
- In the event we are ordered to cancel the event by the state or federal government, we will immediately notify all of our participants via email, social media and via other track and field websites.
- We're looking forward to hosting you all in New York starting next Thursday. As always, it will be the "best one yet!"
- - -
Update: Friday, March 6
With fears around the coronavirus rising across the United States, the National Scholastic Athletics Foundation released recent information ahead of New Balance Nationals Indoor, which will take place from March 13-15 at The Armory in New York City.
There are no plans to cancel the national meet, the release said, though the NSAF is monitoring specific "directives from city, state and federal government agencies, including the World Health Organization (WHO) and the Center for Disease Control (CDC).
The NSAF recommends spectators, athletes and coaches to follow routine precautionary measures to avoid the spread of germs. Per NSAF:
Simple things like washing your hands frequently, practicing respiratory hygiene, and contacting your health care provider if you feel unwell, even with mild symptoms such as a headache and a slightly runny nose, go a long way to helping us keep this virus at bay.
The Armory has also released new information around its cleaning procedures.