In Episode 2 of MileSplit's On The Line podcast, Cory Mull talks with Camren Fischer as the pair go over the Fayetteville High School's current season, his recent college visits and much more.
Fischer is arguably the best distance runner to ever come out of high school in Arkansas. He was the first runner in his state to qualify for Foot Locker Nationals, and he also qualified for Nike Cross Nationals a year ago ... as a junior.
But Fischer, who's ranked No. 10 on the MileSplit50 cross country individual national rankings, is driven to reach into the well to produce even greater results in his final season on grass, and talks about his motivations getting to the line and competing with the very best in the nation.
Life in Arkansas has its moments. There are the wild animal sightings, there are awkward moments with team and there crazy bikers on roads that runners have to be cautious of during training. Learn all about Camren's season and his career in the podcast.
Run of Show:
- Camren talks about his current season and his best performances
- What was going through your head at the finish of Great American
- Digging into Camren's visit to Princeton and his two other officials [5:35]
- What's the storefront pitch from colleges during official visits [7:10]
- Most interesting thing you took away from Princeton [8:20]
- The process behind picking a school is difficult, to say the least [9:00]
- Camren discovered his first 'Wild Rat' in DC [10:15]
- Camren's thoughts and projections on dorm life and food [11:15]
- The unique path Camren has taken in high school competition [12:15]
- A retrospective on the Foot Locker Nationals experience [13:25]
- What's the running scene like in Northwest Arkansas [14:40]
- When did your career start in running [16:05]
- Camren's first big race and his first coach [17:10]
- Early inspiration [18:24]
- Speaking to the prominence of Gatorade awards [19:35]
- Things you have to be aware of at night while running in Arkansas [20:40]
- Camren explains his most awkward XC moment [22:20]
- Explaining the differences between cross country and track and field [23:55]
- Best race in track and field last year [25:55]
- Best guy you've raced and explanation [26:50]
- Camren's hopes for the track and field season this season [27:40]
- What have disappointments taught Camren about competition [29:10]
- Music that gets Camren in the mood for competition
- How distance festivals drum up entertainment in championship races [31:10]
- Hobbies off the track and in school [31:50]
- Before finishing off his career, Camren talks about his top goal [33:10]