Kim Harris Is Your New National Leader In The 400m
The country's top girls time in the 400m finally went down this weekend in Georgia.
And to say it was a surprise would be a major understatement.
While Buford (GA) High's Kimberly Harris (above, Credit: Gwinnett Prep Sports) had promising sprint credentials, she demolished any perceived expectations in the 400m on Saturday at Flowery Branch High, posting a US No. 1 time of 52.77 seconds to win the Region 8-AAAAA Championships.
Her previous best came in her freshman season at the USATF National Junior Olympic Track and Field Championships in 53.50 seconds, which was the last of five performances under 54 seconds on the season.
On Saturday, she became just the second girl sprinter in the country to break the tape under 53 seconds, edging past Northeast (FL) High's Jan'Taijah Ford, whose 52.82 was logged in February.
Harris also won the long jump with a mark of 18-11
- - -
Finals 1 Harris, Kimberly Buford High 55.19 52.77 10 2 Price, Trinity Buford High 56.46 54.44 8 3 Worth, Taniyah Flowery Bran 59.28 59.15 6 4 Huckleberry, April Flowery Bran 1:00.84 1:00.19 5 5 David, Jada Cedar Shoals 1:02.82 1:01.96 4 6 Johnson, Jalia Clarke Centr 1:05.48 1:04.35 3 7 Masters, Madison Loganville 1:04.49 1:05.56 2 8 Houston, Sadie Johnson HS 1:04.90 1:05.69 1
- - -
Arius Williams Goes 53.80 In UIL Class 6A District 7-8
Meanwhile, over in Texas one of the state's top quarter-milers Arius Williams posted her career best of 53.80 seconds at districts.
The Duncanville junior is ultimately hoping to qualify for her first state championship bid in the 400m in Class 6A, and could be on pace to do so with regions around the corner.
Girls District 7-8 400m Results
|2||Cayla Burch||12||Waco Midway||54.60||1|
|5||Zacaria Hopkins||9||Killeen High School||58.80||1|
|6||Geordan Blanchard||12||Killeen Shoemaker||58.90||1|
|7||Nia Mcgriff||11||South Grand Prairie||59.40||1|
|8||Angelica Brown||12||Killeen Harker Heights||59.60||1|
- Page 1: Zachary (LA) High's Sean Burrell goes school record 45.88 in beast mode effort
- Page 2: Dustin Horter throws down in an epic 3200m race at Eastern Relays for a new US No. 1
- Page 3: Kaitlyn Lacy wins in the final stretches on Friday in the girls 3200m at the Eastern Relays
- Page 4: Katelyn Tuohy drops a calm US No. 2 performance in the 3200 at the Red Raider Relays
- Page 5: Nyjari McNeil continues to impress at 800 meters
- Page 6: Katelynne Hart is on fire
- Page 7: Kansas Relays Recap
- Page 8: Mt. SAC Recap
- Page 9: Sadie Sargent claims Class 2A state record in 1600 in Utah
- Page 10: Breaking down the Distance Night in Palatine
- Page 11: Can Jake Merrell Break 1:50?
- Page 12: DeSoto's boys closing the gap in the 4x100 relay
- Page 13: Georgia's Surprise 400m Leader Goes US No. 1
- Page 14: Twanisha Terry takes NCAA lead in the 100m with wind-legal mark