Veronica Lyle of Hewitt-Trussville High School was one of four US top 10 performers on day one of the Alabama State Indoor Championship on Monday in Birmingham with her US #6 time of 2:12.96 in the 800 meter run to claim the 6A state title.
The Hoover girls were able to get the stick around the oval cleanly to roll to a US #7 time of 1:41.73 in the 4x200 meter relay, which was nearly 6 seconds faster than the next fastest squad on the day in a state meet record breaking performance.
Coverage, results, and highlights from the Alabama State Indoor Championship meet held on Monday and Tuesday this week at the Crossplex indoor facility in Birmingham, Alabama.
AHSAA State Indoor 1A-6A Championship
13 Records Fall in First Day of 44th Indoor State Track Championships
A total of 13 records fell Monday as the 2014 AHSAA Indoor State Track Championships got underway at the Birmingham CrossPlex. The final day of the 44th Indoor Championships gets underway Tuesday at 9 a.m.
Day 1 Girls Highlights
- 3,200 Meter Run - Mary Grace Strozier (Pelham) 11:28.41; Emma Kate Holdbrooks (Winfield City High School) 11:39.50; Anna Braswell (St. Paul's Episcopal) 11:44.62; Madeline Held (Spain Park) 11:32.41; Sydney Steely (Hoover) 11:39.07;
- 4x200 Meter Relay - Hoover US #7 1:41.73; Homewood HS 1:47.33; Opelika High School 1:44.90; St. Paul's Episcopal 1:48.08; Baker 1:44.91; Pelham 1:45.31; Murphy HS 1:46.08;
- 60 Meter Hurdles - Brittley Humphrey (Hoover) US #12 8.71; Taylor Young (Altamont) 9.22; Sarah Sanford (Hoover) 9.03;
- 60 Meter Dash - Jayla Kirkland (Woodlawn High School) US #7 7.50; Shelbi White (Lincoln) 7.81; Caitland Smith (Pelham) 7.62;
- 800 Meter Run - Veronica Lyle (Hewitt-Trussville HS) US #6 2:12.96; Ann Mosely Whitsett (Homewood HS) 2:19.27; Presley Weems (Hoover) 2:15.65; Mary Grace Strozier (Pelham) 2:17.49; Rachael Reddy (Mountain Brook HS) 2:18.03; Margot Woolverton (Vestavia Hills HS) 2:20.99; Sarah Mohan (Huntsville HS) 2:21.76;
- Long Jump - Taylor Young (Altamont) 17-11.25;
- Pole Vault - Margeret Ollinger (McGill-Toolen Catholic) 12-1; Rose Brutkiewicz (UMS-Wright) 12-1.25; Moriah Lorge (Bob Jones) 11-6;
- Triple Jump - Taylor Young (Altamont) 36-10; Brittley Humphrey (Hoover) 37-10; Kayla Williams (James Clemens) 37-7.5; Camille Franks (Auburn) 37-5; Jakayla Hand (Opelika High School) 37-0;
Day 1 Boys Highlights
- 3,200 Meter Run - Ben Bryant (Opelika High School) 9:43.78; Anthony Wells (Grissom HS) 9:46.07;
- 4x200 Meter Relay - Central - Phenix City US #9 1:29.83; McAdory High School 1:31.35; Hoover 1:30.18; Parker 1:32.72; Prattville High School 1:30.91; Homewood HS 1:33.62; Opelika High School 1:31.70; Paul W. Bryant High School 1:33.80; Auburn 1:31.77; Thompson 1:32.71; Oak Mountain HS 1:33.06; James Clemens 1:33.58; Vestavia Hills HS 1:33.97;
- 60 Meter Hurdles - Emmanuel Tait (Thompson) 8.29; Alex Evans (Auburn) 8.35; Tyree Reed (Central - Phenix City) 8.38;
- 60 Meter Dash - Ryan Humphrey (Central - Phenix City) US #24 6.93; Harrison Dudley (Paul W. Bryant High School) 6.99; Jaalen Jones (Thompson) 6.96; Laquavious Hunt (Auburn) 6.98; Travis Johnson (Prattville High School) 6.98; Nathanaiel Huggins (Opelika High School) 7.01; Keith Mixon(Shades Valley High School/JCIB) 7.05;
- 800 Meter Run - Austin Norwood (Hewitt-Trussville HS) US #14 1:55.86; Paul Barlow (Auburn) 1:56.09; Anfernee Williams (Opelika High School) 1:59.29; Brian Gonzalez (Hoover) 1:59.93; Matthew Smith (Hoover) 2:00.13;
- Long Jump - Eric Washington (Austin) US #24 22-9.75; Bradrick Shaw (Hoover) 22-4.5;
- Pole Vault - Jesse Austin (Montgomery Academy) 14-7.5; Sean Collins (McGill-Toolen Catholic) 15-7; Chris Taylor (McGill-Toolen Catholic) 15-0; Joseph Lee (Vestavia Hills HS) 14-6;
- Triple Jump - Latravious Glenn (Dadeville) US #20 46-8;