What a day what a meet. Here is quick rundown of what took place Sunday at New Balance Nationals Indoor.
Sydney McLaughlin, in her last high school indoor meet, lowered her own national record in the 400 meter to 51.61. Her previous best, which was set a year ago at this same meet, was 51.84. In that same race the sophomore national record was set by Britton Wilson who finished third with a time of 53.25.
Let's keep it on the sprints.. The 60 meter title went to Jayla Kirkland who ran 7.27 US#1 in the finals. The 60 hurdles had Tara Davis running 8.14 US#1, a California state record and fourth fastest time in high school history. Lynna Irby posted a smooth 200 meter time of 23.62 for the championship, just off her own US#1 time of 23.58 which she ran to qualify for the final.
Rachel McArthur went US#2 in the 800 meter with her 2:06.08 national title performance. The extremely talented Sammy Watson led a NY trifecta in the mile run with her time of 4:48.30. Brie Oakley came back from her national record setting performance in the 5K Friday night to win her second title of the weekend in the two mile clocking in at 9:56.06, a meet record and she joined a small club of high school girls who have gone under 10 minutes. Also in that race Kelsey Chmiel of Saratoga Springs, NY set the sophomore national record placing third with 10:12.94.
Onto the field, Jill Shippee had a massive five foot PR in the weight throw to seal her title at 65-06. Katie Jones of Pennsylvania cleared 13-09.25 in the pole vault for the national title and a state record. We saw another national sophomore record taken down in the triple jump when Jasmine Moore marked 42-06.75, something she has been eyeing for a while now so a great way to cap off the season.
And now the relays, Bullis School had a quick US#2 run of 3:39.70 in the 4x400 meter leaving the rest of the field behind. In the 4x200 meter relay Team War from VA toasted the track for a US#1 time of 1:36.65.
- National Record* 400 Meter - 51.61 - Sydney McLaughlin - Dunellen, NJ
- Sophomore Record* 400 Meter 53.25 - Britton Wilson - Henrico, VA
- Sophomore Record* Triple Jump - 42-06.75 - Jasmine Moore - Desoto, TX
- Sophomore Record* Two Mile - 10:12.94 - Kelsey Chmiel - Saratoga Springs, NY
- 800 Meter - 2:06.08 - Rachel McArthur - Bristow, VA
- 60 Meter - 7.27 - Jayla Kirkland - Birmingham, AL
- 60 Meter Hurdles - 8.14 - Tara Davis - Simi Valley, CA
- 4x400 Meter - 3:39.70 - Bullis School, MD
- One Mile - 4:48.30 - Sammy Watson - Rochester, NY
- 4x200 Meter - 1:36.65 - Team War, VA
- Two Mile - 9:56.06 - Brie Oakley - Aurora, CO
- 400 Meter - 51.61 - Sydney McLaughlin - Dunellen, NJ
- 200 Meter - 23.62 - Lynna Irby - Indianapolis, IN
- Weight Throw - 65-06.00 - Jill Shippee - Clifton Park, NY
- Pole Vault - 13-09.25 - Katie Jones - Williamsport, PA
- Triple Jump - 42-06.75 - Jasmine Moore - Desoto, TX