Top highlights from Wednesday evening's Millrose Trials at the Armory in New York City.
Millrose Trials Replay (Courtesy of Armory Track youtube channel)
The Columbia girls of New Jersey rocketed off the banked track of the Armory for all four legs of their 4x400 meter relay to run the nation's fastest time in the relay event by four seconds with a 3:48.06 clocking. They were last year's US leaders with a season best of 3:42.03 from a year ago. Prior to their race, the Garden City (NY) girls posted a US #3 time of 3:55.48, which is easily the New York state leading performance. The Columbia girls moved themselves up to US #5 all-time indoors last year in the event, can this year's quartet go even further up on the all-time list and challenge their year old New Jersey state record?
Video Interview with Kennedy Weisner (PA)
The state of Pennsylvania was well represented going into the race on paper with the defending Millrose Trials mile race champion from last January in Kennedy Weisner of Elk County Catholic as well as the Foot Locker Nationals champion from this past December in Tessa Barrett of Abington Heights to set up for the potential of a sweep of the top places. It was still impressive to see regardless in the finals results with Weisner once again able to earn herself an auto berth into the Millrose Games mile with a US leading time of 4:55.37, while two other Pennsylvanians in Pennridge's Marissa Sheva (2nd, 4:56.94) and Cumberland Valley's Mady Clahane (3rd, 4:57.62) were able to finish between Weisner and the fourth place finishing Foot Locker champ Barrett (4:59.53) all under 5 minutes. US 3K leader Maddy Berkson from Classical High School in Rhode Island was 5th in 5:02.81 and Tappan Zee's Erin Jaskot was the top New Yorker in 6th at 5:04.92.
Video Interview with Luke Gavigan (NY)
In our meet preview, we mentioned Tappan Zee junior Luke Gavigan as an under the radar entrant to not sleep on and would have a lot of momentum coming off his first sub 4:20 race of the season this past weekend in a Section 1 league meet. He made us look really good with a 59 second last 400 to totally upstage the well known name favorites and run another huge PR in short time window from last time drop with a 4:15.68 victory. Tonight's performance has to be Gavigan's signature win to date after showing much promise running 4:20 for 1600 meters as a freshmen in the outdoor season. Gavigan is now the US leader in the mile. Sub 4:10 1600 meter runner Sean Kelly of Chaminade (NY) finished 10 meters back in second place after co-leading midway through. .
Video: Thrilling finish in CHSAA Boys 4x800
The Chaminade boys had run the nation's top 2 times in the country with their "A" and "B" teams evenly spread out at 8 minutes just the other weekend at the Armory in the CHSAA Varsity meet. Without Kelly on their relay since the invitational mile was in too close proximity of the race, Chaminade still was able to be victorious on Wednesday night and lower their season best and US #1 time down to 7:56.18 with 3 other schools just behind them under 8 minutes and making for the top 4 times in the country being produced from the meet.
The 5th US #1 performance of the night came in the CHSAA girls' sprint medley relay (1600 meters) from the St. Anthony's girls who just edged out another New York squad in Kellenberg Memorial (2nd, US #2 4:09.86) for the win and national leading time at 4:09.18.
Arlington's Trenten Beram continues his impressive indoor campaign in the sprints including a US #9 clocking in the 55 meter dash and assert himself ontop of the New York state leaderboard at 6.41. The girls 55 meter dash was a photo finish with another Arlingon sprinter in Zola Golden almost claiming first, but Dasia Pressley from Neshaminy High School in Pennsylvania was able to just edge her out at the line with both runners timed at 7.19.
More to come from our Millrose Trials coverage including race photos and interviews!
- 4x400 Meter Relay - Columbia HS 3:48.06; Garden City 3:55.33; Suffern 3:58.62; Benjamin Cardozo 3:58.68; New Rochelle 3:58.95; Half Hollow Hills East (HHH) 4:00.19; Uniondale 3:56.67; Freehold Twp HS 3:59.65; Paul Robeson 3:59.78; Middletown 4:00.39; Bay Shore 4:02.51;Arlington 4:05.22; Mount Saint Dominic Academy 3:59.89; Newburgh Free Academy 4:00.47; Medgar Evers Prep 4:01.86; North Babylon 4:02.85; Elmont Memorial 4:04.88; Mount Vernon 4:08.59; Port Richmond 4:02.83; Freeport 4:05.15; Cornwall 4:05.54; Hauppauge 4:05.84; Metuchen HS4:10.36; Dewitt Clinton 4:03.57; Bayport-Blue Point 4:07.29; General Douglas MacArthur 4:07.34; Washingtonville 4:08.24; Hempstead 4:08.35; Walter G. O'Connell-Copiague 4:08.57; Westhampton Beach 4:08.61; Brooklyn Tech 4:10.79; Harborfields 4:09.08; McKee/Staten Island Tech (MSIT) 4:11.30; Brentwood 4:09.99; Ward Melville 4:10.64;
- 55 Meter Dash - Dasia Pressley (Neshaminy) 7.19; Zola Golden (Arlington) 7.19; Loundy Desire (Martin Van Buren) 7.21; Symone Darius (New Rochelle) 7.22; Brenessa Thompson (Medgar Evers Prep) 7.26; Taylor Chapman (Pennridge) 7.31; Alyssa Leto (Sachem North) 7.35; Dasia Pressley(Neshaminy) 7.23; Loundy Desire (Martin Van Buren) 7.29; Brenessa Thompson (Medgar Evers Prep) 7.31; Taylor Chapman (Pennridge) 7.31; Zola Golden (Arlington) 7.32; Symone Darius (New Rochelle) 7.33; Alyssa Leto (Sachem North) 7.33; Melissa Michels (Sachem North) 7.37;
- One Mile Run - Kennedy Weisner (Elk County Catholic) 4:55.37; Marissa Sheva (Pennridge) 4:56.94; Mady Clahane (Cumberland Valley) 4:57.62; Tessa Barrett (Abington Heights) 4:59.53; Maddy Berkson (Classical High School) 5:02.81; Erin Jaskot (Tappan Zee) 5:04.92; Tiana Guevara(Miller Place) 5:05.15; Paige Duca (Sacred Heart Academy ) 5:05.78; Kaelyn Heinicke (Council Rock North) 5:07.56; Cate Allen (Fairfield Warde) 5:08.37; Jamie Grossman (Harborfields) 5:08.55; Talia Guevara (Miller Place) 5:10.45; Anna Flynn (Ursuline School) 5:12.27; Amanda Corbosiero(Mount Saint Dominic Academy) 5:12.56; Rachel Belmont (Old Bridge HS) 5:12.64; Rachel Suss (Metuchen HS) 5:12.74; Gianna Frontera (Newburgh Free Academy) 5:14.19; Beatrice Boylan (Cornwall) 5:14.95; Charlotte Molloy (Our Lady of Mercy (CHSAA)) 5:15.51; Ashley Wallace(Cornwall) 5:16.31; Amari Onque-Shabazz (Mount Saint Dominic Academy) 5:17.32; Lorna Caballe (Fiorello H. LaGuardia) 5:18.96; Tara Connelly (St. John Vianney HS) 5:18.99;
- Sprint Medley Relay - Saint Anthony's 4:09.18; Kellenberg Memorial 4:09.86; St. John the Baptist 4:17.26; Holy Trinity 4:19.27; St. John Villa Academy 4:23.28; Archbishop Molloy 4:24.45;
- Weight Throw - Monae Cooper (New Rochelle) 46-10.5; Danielle Borriello (Ellenville) 45-6.5; Jessica Jeffrey (New Rochelle) 45-1.5; Sochima Bishop (New Rochelle) 40-10; Elaine Minew (Susan E. Wagner) 40-0; Kristina Insigno (Holy Trinity) 39-4.5;
- 4x200 Meter Relay - Saint Anthony's 1:30.37; Mount St. Michael 1:31.42; Holy Trinity 1:31.66; Chaminade 1:32.45; Cardinal Hayes 1:32.84; Fordham Prep 1:32.87; Xavier 1:33.24; Christ the King 1:33.80;
- 4x400 Meter Relay - Paul Robeson 3:22.27; Old Bridge HS 3:22.66; Warwick Valley 3:23.24; Half Hollow Hills East (HHH) 3:25.95; Mount Vernon 3:28.76; Syosset 3:29.25; Metuchen HS 3:23.30; Newburgh Free Academy 3:23.85; Boys and Girls 3:24.32; Central Islip 3:26.74; Beacon3:31.47; Samuel J. Tilden 3:24.60; Washingtonville 3:26.76; Port Jefferson 3:26.88; Seton Hall Prep 3:27.90; New Rochelle 3:32.06; Clara Barton 3:25.13; Northport 3:27.26; Cornwall 3:28.47; Pascack Valley HS 3:30.29; Medgar Evers Prep 3:27.60; Half Hollow Hills West (HHH) 3:28.38; East Orange Campus 3:30.67; East New York - Transit Tech 3:28.12; Longwood 3:30.77; Thomas Jefferson (NYC) 3:29.59; Dewitt Clinton 3:30.47; Benjamin Banneker Academy 3:30.85; Mott Haven 3:31.52; Taft Education Campus (NYC) 3:31.56; Erasmus Hall 3:31.62; Cornwall 3:28.47 (prelims);
- 4x800 Meter Relay - Chaminade 7:56.13; Saint Anthony's 7:56.69; Fordham Prep 7:57.79; Xavier 7:57.89; Regis 8:07.99; Archbishop Molloy 8:08.23; Bishop Loughlin 8:13.46; Monsignor Farrell 8:18.92; Kellenberg Memorial 8:19.93;
- 55 Meter Dash - Trenten Beram (Arlington) 6.41; Mozai Nelson (Saint Anthony's) 6.55; Justin Guerre (St. Francis Prep) 6.57; Ernest Agyeman (Dewitt Clinton) 6.57; Jordan Wright (Shoreham-Wading River) 6.57; Dayshawn Taylor (Longwood) 6.62; Jordan Wright (Shoreham-Wading River) 6.55; Trenten Beram (Arlington) 6.57; Mozai Nelson (Saint Anthony's) 6.58; Dayshawn Taylor (Longwood) 6.61;
- One Mile Run - Luke Gavigan (Tappan Zee) 4:15.68; Sean Kelly (Chaminade) 4:17.65; Mike McClemens (Christian Brothers Academy) 4:18.03; Tim Mcgowan (Northport) 4:18.04; Bill Dolan (Clearview Reg. HS) 4:19.96; Sam Ritz (Germantown Academy) 4:24.03; Kyle Gronostaj (Columbia (Sec 2)) 4:24.86; Jordan Price (New Providence HS) 4:25.03; Benito Muniz (Carmel ) 4:25.41; Mike Watts (Islip) 4:25.83; Mikey Singer (McDonogh School) 4:26.91; Ryan Udvadia (Shoreham-Wading River) 4:28.67; Fritz Heinrich (St. Peter's Prep) 4:29.01; Mike Delfay (Brewster) 4:29.46;Andrew Ghizzone (Union Catholic HS) 4:30.54;
- Weight Throw - Dennis Russel (Longwood) 65-5; Eric Sheng (Syosset) 64-5.5; Joseph Segreto (Saint Anthony's) 64-4.75; James Leddy (Saint Anthony's) 64-0; Sean Ryan (Babylon) 62-7; Nicholas Todaro (Iona Preparatory School) 58-6; Garrett Hessman (Bergen Catholic HS) 52-6; Xavier Tyler (Iona Preparatory School) 52-2.5;
More on Millrose Games Trials:
- MileSplit Meet Page w/ all coverage
- Photo Gallery by Kyle Brazeil
- Photo Gallery by Don Rich
- Photo Gallery by Patty Morgan
- Video Interviews: Kennedy Weisner - Marissa Sheva - Mady Clahane - Luke Gavigan - Benjamin Cardoza Girls $x400