2011 Cross Country Highlights
Check us out on Facebook here
Follow our tweets here
Fayetteville-Manlius girls on the Podium (Kyle Brazeil)
- Girls A: Fayetteville-Manlius flexed their muscle as they prepare for the post-season, winning with 19 points and an 18:42 team average. Jillian Fanning led the way with a time of 18:01.2. The pack was broken up by Laura Leff (West Genesee) who finished 2nd in 18:19.1 while F-M took the other top-10 places and packed 5 into a 59 second spread.
- Boys A: Fayetteville-Manlius was quite dominate, placing 6 in the top-8 overall to win with 18 points and a 16:25 team average. Nick Ryan led the way with his winning time of 15:34.4. The top-5 was also broken up by a Leff, as Martin Leff was 4th overall.
Summit Girls on the Podium
- Complete Coverage and Results
- Meet Recap
- Photo Album by superdh
- Video Interviews
- 5A: Summit was the story here with a boys and girls sweep. The Summit girls took the top-4 places to win with just 16 points over Bend. Megan Fristoe led the way with an 18:07 clocking, the fastest on the day.The Summit boys won with 44 points over Hermiston, 52 points. Travis Neuman led the squad with a winning time of 15:32, the fastest on the day.
- 6A: South Eugene swept the titles here with the girls taking down Jesuit to win with 53 points over Crater with 63. Jesuit was 3rd with 70 points. The boys also won with 56 points. Paige Rice (St. Mary's Academy) won a tight individual race over Sara Tsai (South Eugene) 18:09 to 18:10.
Green Hope girls on the Podium (Photo by Jeff George)
- Complete Coverage and Results
- Meet Recaps: 4A | 3A | 2A | 1A
- Photo Albums: CoachSides | CoachGeorgeRJR
- Video Footage: Mark Blackmon | Green Hope girls | 4A Girls Mid-race | 4A Girls Finish | 4A Boys Mid-race | 4A Boys Finish | All Interviews and Race Footage
- 4A Girls: Green Hope girls rolled with a winning total of 37 points as the only team under 100 points and also put 6 girls in the top-20 overall. Sammy George (Millbrook) won the individual title with a quick 17:27 clocking over Darby Middlebrook (Watauga) in 17:42.
- 4A Boys: Mark Blackmon (West Charlotte) won the boys title by 11 seconds with a time of 15:28.
Julie Macedo and Haley Pierce duel in DE (Photo by Blue Hen Photo)
- US#1 Julie Macedo (Charter) went head-to-head with Tatnall star Haley Pierce as the duo raced each other to exhaustion. With 800 meters to go Haley collapsed and didn't finish, while Macedo was passed by Tatnall #2 runner Regan Anderson, who nabbed her first county victory in 18:04.94. Julie was 2nd in 18:09.33. Tatnall still snagged the team title with just 26 points.
- Sam Parsons won the boys title over teammate Stephen Garrett 15:52.23 to 15:57.73 to lead Tatnall to the win with 50 points.
Michigan State Championships (Lower Peninsula), MI
- Erin Finn won the D1 title by a slim margin with a time of 17:22.6 over Taylor Mannett, 17:24, and Hannah Meier, 17:24.1. The Meier led squad of Grosse Pointe South upset Saline for the state team crown 106 to 111.
- Julia Bos won the D2 girls title with a quick time of 17:24.7. East Grand Rapids won the team crown with 153 points.
- Garrett Zuk won the boys D1 title with a time of 15:21.2 while Highland Milford won the team title with 128 points.
- US#1 Edward Cheserek won big with a time of 15:18.14 to win by 1:12.
NJSIAA Sectional Championships, NJ
South Jersey (Complete Results here)
- Megan Lacy (Cherokee) blasted a 17:37 clocking to win the Group 4 race by 39 seconds but Lenape got by Cherokee 57 to 67.
- Connor Herr (Shawnee) got past Shawn Wilson (Cherokee) in the boys Group 4 race to win 15:27 to 15:33. Cherokee crushed the boys field to win the team title with 73 points.
North Jersey 2 (Complete Results here)
- Tim Ball (Piscataway) won the boys Group 4 race with a time of 15:49.58 and Westfield tore apart the boys field with just 46 points.
- Dana Giordano (Bernards) won the Group 2 race in 18:40.19, the fastest time of the day. Voorhees won the team title with 37 points.
North Jersey 1 (Complete Results here)
- Ariana North (Northern Highlands) won the Group 3 girls race with an 18:20, the fastest time of the day.
- Randolph won a battle over Ridgewood in Group 4 action 37 to 52 off the strength of a 1-2-3 finish by Samantha Jones, 18:47, Carole Harsch, 19:13, and Liz Wellman, 19:13.
- Stephen Lewandowski (Mountain Lakes) won the Group 1 boys race in 15:50, the fastest time of the day.
Central Jersey (Complete Results here)
- Caroline Kellner (West Windsor Plainsboro South) won the girls Group 4 title with a time of 18:35 to win by 26 seconds. Howell won the team title with 80 points.
- Dylan Tarpey (Freehold Twp) won the Group 4 boys race in 15:52. West Windsor Plainsboro South won the team title with 54 points.
PIAA State Championships, PA
Conner Quinn (Photo by Don Rich) and Meghan McGovern (Photo by Charles Stone)
Angel Piccirillo (Photo by Don Rich) and Brandan Shearn (Marleen Van den Neste)
- Comprehensive Coverage Central
- Photo Albums
- Video Interviews
- Race Footage
- Pennsbury girls won the AAA title with jsut 42 points with 4 in the top-21 overall. Individually, Meghan McGovern (North Penn) gutted it out down the stretch to win over Strath Haven's Hannah Grossman in 18:28 to 18:30 and her reward was a course record. The times were better than the course record set earlier in the day by Angel Piccirillo in the AA race!
- In the AA girls race Angel Piccirillo (Homer Center) won her 2nd straight title with a time of 18:31 to set the course record by 4 seconds. Unfortunately it was short-lived as the AAA girls race saw the record lowered even more. St. Basil won a close team battle over Elk Lake by just 3 points.
- In AAA boys action Conner Quinn (Hatboro Horsham) was a surprise winner, blasting a #3 all time on the course of 16:03. North Penn was a surprise winner, getting by favored O'Hara on their 6th man as both teams tied with 132 points. It was only the 3rd tie in AAA boys history.
- Brendan Shearn (North Schuylkill) capped an impressive season with a victory, winning with a quick time of 16:15. Quaker Valley won big with 90 points to win by 91.
Arizona State Championships, AZ
- Division 1 Results
- Division 2 Results
- Divison 3 Results
- Division 4 Results
Photo Albums | Div 1 | Div 2 | Div 3 | Div 4
Xavier College Prep
Bernie Montoya Sarah Fakler Jake Wynn
- Heavy rains Friday evening caused a wash to flood on the state course prompting last minute re-marking of the course and an hour delay.
- Division 1Girls: Xavier College Prep junior, Sarah Fakler, won her second straight XC championships with a time of 17:48.19 over the 5K course. Tory Haberman (Sr., Highland) finished 2nd in 18:14.99 with Laura Orlie (Sr., Xavier) finishing 3rd in 18:29.70. Xavier College Prep girls won the team title with 22 points, the lowest number of points by any team in Arizona XC history, and placed all 7 runners in the top 14. Desert Vista girls finished 2nd with 81 points.
- Division 1 Boys: Bernie Montoya (Jr., Cibola) won his second XC title with a time of 15:46.74 over Rincon junior Ryan Silva with 15:57.60 and David Graham (Sr., Highland) with 16:00.06. The division 1 (boys) was the first race of the day after the course had been re-directed. Montoya went off course twice and had to double back to regain the lead. The Highland Boys won the team title with 86 points followed by the Desert Vista Boys with 123 points.
- Division 2 Girls: Flagstaff sophomore, Tatiana Gillick and Sahuaro senior, Chloe Newell ran side by side the entire race until the last 1200 meters when Gillick serged ahead to take the lead all the way to the tape. Gillick finished in 18:29.64 with Newell in 2nd with 18:49.68. Flagstaff freshman, Taylor Taite took 3rd in 19:21.65. Flagstaff girls won the team title with 62 points over Sahuaro with 93 points.
- Division 2 Boys: Eduardo Roa (Sr., McClintock) won the divsion 2 race in 16:03.41 followed by Chris Lessard (Sr., Maricopa) with 16:17.25 and Hayden Palmer (Sr., Prescott) with 16:26.77. The team title went to Canyon del Oro with 97 points with Ironwood Ridge taking 2nd with 147 points.
- Division 3 Girls: Rolonda Jumbo (Jr., Chinle) won the girls race with a time of 18:27.20 and a 45 second lead over 2nd place finisher Diana Garcia (Jr., Tempe) who finished in 19:12.60. Leticia Shaban (Sr.,Tempe) placed 3rd in 19:25.29. It was a close race but Chinle edged out Page for the Team Title finishing with 74 points over Page's 77 points.
- Division 3 Boys: Saguaro junior, Jake Wynn and Tyler Stamp (Sr., Sabino) crossed the mile mark in 4:46 with 4 other runners before breaking away and hitting the 2 mile at 9:52. The final 200 meters the two were still side by side, stride for stide, until Wynn decided to make his move crossing the finish line in 15:39.59 for the fastest time of the day. Stamp finished 2nd in 15:44.35 with Juan Wells (Sr., Mingus Union) in 3rd for 16:03.10. Chinle won the boys Team Title with 71 points over the Rio Rico boys who finished with 86 points.
- Division 4 Girls: Sarah MacDonald (Jr., Pusch Ridge Christian) took the lead early on in the race and finished with a time of 18:55.28. Mikaela Martin (So., Horizon Honors) finished 2nd in 19:54.17 followed by Northland Prep junior, Keven Griffen with 19:56.96. Hopi girls won the Team Title with 39 points followed by Pusch Ridge Christian with 78 points.
- Division 4 Boys: Nico Montanez (Sr., St. Augustine Catholic) won the boys div 4 race in 16:16.97 with Josh Hoskinson (So., Arizona Lutheran) taking 2nd in 16:27.61 and Domonic Sinquah (Sr., Hopi) finishing 3rd in 16:33.39. Hopi boys won the Team Title with 52 points over Northland Prep with 81 points.
Washington State Championships, WA
Armstrong gets by Weitz (Photo by Leo Collins)
- Video Interviews | Katie Knight | Jordan McPhee | Maddie Meyers | Anthony Armstrong & Nathan Weitz | Jacob Smith | Amy-Eloise Neale | Emily Pettis | Patrick Gibson
- Katie Knight won big in 3A with a time of 17:10! Amy-Eloise Neale was 2nd in 17:29, while 17:56, ephrainson
- Maddie Meyers won in 1A with a time of 17:54.
- Jacob Smith was able to get past a formidable Andrew Gardner to win the 4A title in 15:03 to 15:07.
- Anthony Armstrong caught Nathan Weitz at the line to win the 3A title in 14:58 to 14:59.
- Jordan McPhee won the 4A girls title in 17:25.
- Emily Pittiss won the 2A title in 18:17.
Photo courtesy of Stephanie Tinkey
- Complete Results and Coverage here
- Photo Albums
- Race Videos
- 5A Boys: Josh Brickell (Peachtree Ridge) won the boys title by 20 second with a time of 15:40.68 and Brookwood likewise dominated the team race, winning with just 32 points, a 110 gap over 2nd place.
- 1A Girls: Grace Tinkey (First Presbyterian) won her state meet with a time of 17:59.27, almost a minute over 2nd place. It looks like she is completely back from her injury early in the season. Landmark Christian won the team title with 80 points.
- Division 1A Boys: Steve Schroeder (Sr., Monticello) won the boys 5K run in 14:28. Grant Nykaza (Jr., Beecher) finished 2nd in 14:37 followed by Jake Brown (Sr., Mt. Zion) in 14:58. Mt. Zion on the Team Title with 76 points over Tolono (Unity) with 88 points.
- Division 1A Girls: Chelsea Blaase (Sr., St. Joseph) ran a 17:12 over the 5K course to win the State Title. Alex Van Hoof (Jr., Bloomington, Central Catholic) took 2nd in 17:18 and freshman McKayla Harden (Mt. Zion) finished 3rd in 17:28. Decatur won the girls Team Title earning 46 points and placeing the top 5 scorers in the top 18. Westmont finished 2nd with 174 points.
- Division 2A Boys: Michael Clevenger (Sr., Decatur) won the boys title with a time of 14:26 over 2nd place finisher Tyler Yunk (Belvidere) with a 14:32 and 3rd place finisher Riley McInerney (Jr., Charleston) with a 14:40. Belvidere won the Team Title with 110 points over Glen Ellyn and 128 points.
- Division 2A Girls: Freshman Sami Staples (Crystal Lake) ran a 17:07 to edge out Kelsy Schreder (So., DeKalb) in 17:11. 3rd place went to Kirby Hale (Sr., Springfield) with a time of 17:20. Yorkville earned 74 points to win the Team Title with Crystal Lake finishing 2nd with 106 points.
- Division 3A Boys: Senior Leland Later (Winnetka) ran a 14:17 for the fastest time of the day. Alex Riba (Jr., O'Fallon) placed 2nd with a time of 14:27 followed by Malachy Schrobilgen (Sr., Oak Park) with 14:28. Palatine won the Team Title by earning 114 points over O'Fallon with 120 points.
- Division 3A Girls: Amanda Fox (Sr., Naperville) ran a 16:24 for the fastest time of the day. Ariel Michalek (Sr., Oswego) finished 2nd with a time of 16:37 followed by Kaylee Flanagan (Jr., Roselle) who finished 3rd in 16:43. The Team Title went to Winnetka with 82 points. Wheaton finished 2nd with 144 points.
- Dyland Lafond (Sr., Manchester Central) won the boys 5K race in a time of 15:41.9. Chris Cogliano (Sr., Bishop Guertin) placed 2nd in 15:48.3 with James Godin (Sr., Dover) finishing 3rd in 15:55.0.
- Bishop Guertin earned 105 points to win the team event. Pinkerton finished 2nd with 110 points.
- Courtney Hawkins (Jr., Milford) won the girls race with a time of 18:34.1. Elizabeth Conway (Jr., Manchester Central) finished 2nd with 18:40.3 follwed by Mia Eisenhandler (Jr., Nashua South) in 18:43.1.
- Coe-Brown won the girls Team Title with 74 points over Bedford's 109 points.
- Division 1 Boys: Tsehaye Hiluf (Sr., Reyoldsburg) won the boys race with a time of 15:21.52. Sam Wharton (Jr., Tipp City) was close behind with a 15:24.98 followed by Willy Fink (Sr., Maumee) in 15:26.53. Dublin Coffman won the Team Title with 101 points. Cle St. Ignatius finished 2nd with 120 points.
- Division 1 Girls: Claudia Saunders (Sr., Cin Princeton) won the girls D1 race in 18:04.50 with Elyse Bierut (Sr., Rocky River) in 2nd with 18:08.46. 3rd place went to junior Sydney Leiher (Beavercreek) with a time of 18:10.21. The Brunswick girls won the Team Title with 113 points over Beavercreek and 118 points.
- Division 2 Boys: Steven Weaver (Sr., Napoleon) ran a 15:25.09 for the win over Abel Flores (Jr., Defiance) and a 15:41.53 finish. Adrian Ross (Sr., Chill Unioto) placed 3rd with a 15:52.61. Spring Shawnee earned 101 points to win the Team Title. Akron St. Vincent/St. Mary finished 2nd with 114 points.
- Division 2 Girls: Sarra Taylor (So., Longon) won the girls race with a time of 18:19.14. Freshman Samantha Bockoven finished 2nd with an 18:28.50 followed closley by Taylor Hatfield (Sr., Chill Zane Trace) who finished 2 seconds back with an 18:30.15. Akron St. Vin/St. Mary won the Team Title by earning 89 points. Chill Zane Trace earned 100 points for 2nd place.
- Division 3 Boys: Samuel Prakel (Jr., Versailles) ran a 15:19 to win the boys race with Ryan Polman (Sr., Independence) taking 2nd in 15:24.31 and Ryan Roush (Sr., North Lima) placing 3rd in 15:30.28. McDonald won the Team Title with 74 points over Independence and 116 points.
- Division 3 Girls: Liberty Center freshman, Brittany Atkinson won the girls race in 18:27.51, just 2 seconds ahead of Christina Seas (So., Coldwater) with 18:29.92. Fallon Doyle (Fr., Bellaire St.) finished 3rd in 18:35.81. Liberty Center earned 65 points to win the Team Title with Coldwater taking 2nd with 82 points.
- Division D-II AA Boys: Daniel Peters (Sr., MBA) ran a 15:57.31 to win the boys race by more than 30 seconds. Simon Holden (Jr., Baylor) finished 2nd in 16:29.64 followed by Eric Anderson (So., MBA) in 19:39.34. Brentwood Academy won the boys Team Title with 41 points. McCallie took 2nd with 50 points.
- Division D-II AA Girls: Freshman Reagan Freeman (Harpeth Hall) won the girls race with a time of 18:59.32. Allison Cheeseman (So, Brentwood Academy) finished 2nd in 19:08.23 followed by Caroline Cook (So., St. Agnes) with a 19:16.67. Harpeth Hall earned 50 points for the Team Title with St. Benedict finishing 2nd with 78 points.
- Division D-II A Boys: Elliot Baerman (So., Webb School) took the win with a 17:24.79. Teammate Will Walker (Sr., ) finished 2nd in 17:27.04 followed by Harding Academy freshman, Christopher Galbreath, who finished 3rd in 17:29.03. The team title went to University School of Nashville with 45 points. Webb School of Knoxville finished 2nd with 50 points.
- Division D-II A Girls: Natalie Ritchie (Sr., Webb School) ran a 19:40.12 for the win. St. Cecilia sophomore, Emily Peters, finshed 3 seconds back for 2nd place with a 19:43.06. Chandler Washburn (Sr., FRA) placed 3rd in 19:55.26. University School of Nashville earned 39 points for the team title while Webb School of Knoxville took 2nd with 56 points.
- Division AAA Boys: Will Templeton (Sr., Hardin Valley) and Paul Stuart (Sr., Brentwood) battled to the finish line as Templeton took the lead with a time of 16:00.37 followed by Stuart with a 16:01.28. Quintin McKinnish (So., Morristown West) finished 3rd with a 16:05.26. Brentwood won the Team Title with 50 points. Bearden finished 2nd with 126 points.
- Division AAA Girls: Haley Ward (Jr., McMinn County) won the girls race with an 18:41.84 followed by Siegel freshman Nicole Gardner in 18:52.83 and Rachel Wooten (Sr., Franklin) in 18:56.44. Ravenwood won the girls Team Title with 113 points with Science Hill close behind with 119 points.
- Division A-AA Boys: Sam Klockenkemper (Jr., Martin Luther King) ran a 16:22.46 to win the boys race. Nick McCormick (Jr., East Hamilton) ran a 2nd place time of 16:32.23 followed by Wesley Pectol (So., Greeneville) with a time of 16:36.37. Greeneville earned 117 points for the team title. Greenbrier placed 2nd with 121 points.
- Division A-AA Girls: Barbara Lee Ball (Jr., David Lipscomb) won the girls race with a time of 19:21.93. Claudia Smith (Fr., Central Magnet) ran a 20:11.70 for 2nd place followed by Jessica Clarke (So., CPA) who finished 3rd with a time of 20:17.02. Chattanooga Christian won the Team Title with 86 points. Greeneville finished 2nd with 115 points.