The Stanford Invitational Distance Medley Relay record set by Armijo (Ca.) High last year (10:06.31) didn't last for long.
The San Jose Bellarmine College Prep boys ran a solo 10:03.67 on Friday to crush the field and establish a new meet and Central Coast Section record.
The previous CCS record was set by Wilcox HS in 1965 with a time of 10:13.7y (10:10.28c). The time for Bellarmine is also US No. 1, as it surpasses the 10:18.15 by Hilton Head (SC) at the Pepsi Florida Relays.
The unofficial splits for Bellarmine were 3:02, 51, 1:53, 4:17.
Look for a video of the race from today as well as all the high school races by Sunday night.
Other highlights from efforts on March 31 at Stanford:
- Deion Lightfoot-Shelton (Kimball) ran 54.35 in the 400 Hurdles, taking over US No. 1.
- Luis Grijalva (Armijo) clocked a US No. 1 3:49.89 for 1500 in one of the collegiate sections.
- Gillian Wagner (Redwood Larkspur) also earned US No. 1 in the 3000 with her time of 9:56.26. Teammate Glennis Murphy posted a 10:01.59 in 2nd place, good for US No. 3.
- The San Marcos girls ran a US No. 2 11:54.72 in their DMR.
- Michael Vernau (Davis) won the boys' 3000 in 8:32.75 US No. 2.
- MacKenzie Fletcher (Ponderosa) clocked 1:02.73 US No. 2 while winning the 400 Hurdles.