Article Comment: Week 9 Official Cross Country Rankings
10/19/2011 1:25:49 PM
User
http://ga.milesplit.com/teamscores/2011/cc/hs/m/5000m has Pope 5 overall and 2 in 4A
http://ga.milesplit.com/teamscores/2011/cc/hs/m/5000m

has Pope 5 overall and 2 in 4A
10/19/2011 1:36:41 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
@gatorboy62 you do understand that this takes each runner's PR regardless of course, date of race and even grade (there are talented 8th graders in some team's lists) and ranks them on team time only. Thus the official ranks and this comparison are often very different. tp
@gatorboy62 you do understand that this takes each runner's PR regardless of course, date of race and even grade (there are talented 8th graders in some team's lists) and ranks them on team time only. Thus the official ranks and this comparison are often very different.
tp
10/19/2011 3:20:29 PM
User
so what criteria is used as the "offical" ranking?
so what criteria is used as the "offical" ranking?
10/19/2011 3:32:01 PM
User
@gatorboy62 I remember seeing guidelines generally applied in compiling the rankings in a prior discussion at the start of the season. Have a look at [url=http://ga.milesplit.com/discussion/topics/88990/1#post-636139]Preliminary Week 1 Boys 5A and All-Class Rankings[/url]
@gatorboy62 I remember seeing guidelines generally applied in compiling the rankings in a prior discussion at the start of the season. Have a look at Preliminary Week 1 Boys 5A and All-Class Rankings
10/19/2011 4:10:16 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
@gatorboy62 The General criteria are evaluations of week to week performances by the rankers who do extensive research and compare team's progress, especially head to head. Simply comparing based on the best time all year doesn't give you much. If my number one runs a 15:30 at Asics and then gets mono, we'll benefit the rest of the year from that mark in the database even though he isn't likely to help us at State. Additionally teams that win head to head matchups, but never post blazing times often don't move up the computer ranks. 2 years ago our girls were about 13th in our classification on that list and took 3rd at State and moved all the way up to about 9th on the list. Many of the teams that they beat at state stayed way ahead in the database because their season bests remained the same. Pope has fast times (all from Westover) but was beaten pretty easily by those ranked ahead of them last weekend.
@gatorboy62 The General criteria are evaluations of week to week performances by the rankers who do extensive research and compare team's progress, especially head to head. Simply comparing based on the best time all year doesn't give you much. If my number one runs a 15:30 at Asics and then gets mono, we'll benefit the rest of the year from that mark in the database even though he isn't likely to help us at State. Additionally teams that win head to head matchups, but never post blazing times often don't move up the computer ranks. 2 years ago our girls were about 13th in our classification on that list and took 3rd at State and moved all the way up to about 9th on the list. Many of the teams that they beat at state stayed way ahead in the database because their season bests remained the same. Pope has fast times (all from Westover) but was beaten pretty easily by those ranked ahead of them last weekend.
10/19/2011 4:19:01 PM
User
@tpee asked a simple question and get War & Peace. Doesn't matter til state.
@tpee asked a simple question and get War & Peace. Doesn't matter til state.
10/19/2011 7:45:28 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
Sorry to offend. Just tired of people who don't understand the database's foibles putting more stock in it than they should.
Sorry to offend. Just tired of people who don't understand the database's foibles putting more stock in it than they should.
10/19/2011 7:51:53 PM
User
SUBSCRIBER
@tpee Great explanation. Thanks.
@tpee Great explanation. Thanks.
10/19/2011 7:58:21 PM
User
Thanks for the time and effort put into the official rankings!
Thanks for the time and effort put into the official rankings!
10/19/2011 9:41:49 PM
User
@TPEE if you are considering variaables, Pope waa missing its 1 & 3 runner. and in head to head Pope beat Harrison and kennesaw at the the Cobb County meet. Pope will be in the mix at state and all rankings will be not mater.
@TPEE if you are considering variaables, Pope waa missing its 1 & 3 runner. and in head to head Pope beat Harrison and kennesaw at the the Cobb County meet. Pope will be in the mix at state and all rankings will be not mater.
10/20/2011 6:56:32 AM
Power User
SUBSCRIBER
@gatorboy62 Coach was just trying to give you an honest answer. No need to be rude about it.
@gatorboy62

Coach was just trying to give you an honest answer. No need to be rude about it.
10/20/2011 8:38:41 AM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
I think we all need to keep in mind that any ranking is going to be subjective and there are going to be teams that feel slighted. I would also point out that in the end the only rankings that really matter are those that occur at the State Meet, so if you feel that Pope is not getting the respect that they deserve then go out on the 5th and take care of business.
I think we all need to keep in mind that any ranking is going to be subjective and there are going to be teams that feel slighted. I would also point out that in the end the only rankings that really matter are those that occur at the State Meet, so if you feel that Pope is not getting the respect that they deserve then go out on the 5th and take care of business.
10/20/2011 10:32:05 AM
User
SUBSCRIBER
@WayneCounty While they are for fun, I appreciate the discussion generated when someone feels his/her team should be ranked or ranked higher. There are also times when a team might be overlooked or a meet missed. To all, do not hesitate to point it out if you feel a team is being missed...........please do it respectfully, though! Good luck to all these last couple weeks!
@WayneCounty

While they are for fun, I appreciate the discussion generated when someone feels his/her team should be ranked or ranked higher. There are also times when a team might be overlooked or a meet missed.

To all, do not hesitate to point it out if you feel a team is being missed...........please do it respectfully, though!

Good luck to all these last couple weeks!
10/20/2011 11:19:39 AM
User
@gatorboy62 Seriously? You asked a question and got a well thought out answer. You may have thought it was a "simple question" and the answer was "war and peace", but sometimes answers are more complicated than "yes" and "no". Your rudeness was way out of line.
@gatorboy62

Seriously? You asked a question and got a well thought out answer. You may have thought it was a "simple question" and the answer was "war and peace", but sometimes answers are more complicated than "yes" and "no". Your rudeness was way out of line.
10/20/2011 11:24:19 AM
User
@dataholicwannabe thanks! See you at state.
@dataholicwannabe thanks! See you at state.

You must be logged in to comment.

Click Here to Log In.