Heat vs Altitude
11/21/2021 2:10:36 PM
User
SUBSCRIBER
Hello, You have an adjustment for altitude but what about heat? My runner has not raced in temps under 85 degrees yet this season. That has a significant detrimental affect on race times. Runners averaging ~5:45 pace or faster slowed approximately 1 second per mile for each 1° C (1.8° F) increase in temperature according to the scientists. So a runner from the southwest racing at 85 degrees is running approximately 30 seconds slower than someone running at a cool 65 degrees. I think you have to look at runners from the Southern California deserts, Arizona, southern New Mexico and West Texas and give them an adjustment just as you do with altitude. There are no cool mornings in those places until mid November and by 9:00 it is already 80 plus. I understand you cannot make accommodations for every scenario however the temperatures in Phoenix, Palm Springs and El Paso is pretty verifiable.
Hello, You have an adjustment for altitude but what about heat? My runner has not raced in temps under 85 degrees yet this season. That has a significant detrimental affect on race times. Runners averaging ~5:45 pace or faster slowed approximately 1 second per mile for each 1° C (1.8° F) increase in temperature according to the scientists. So a runner from the southwest racing at 85 degrees is running approximately 30 seconds slower than someone running at a cool 65 degrees. I think you have to look at runners from the Southern California deserts, Arizona, southern New Mexico and West Texas and give them an adjustment just as you do with altitude. There are no cool mornings in those places until mid November and by 9:00 it is already 80 plus. I understand you cannot make accommodations for every scenario however the temperatures in Phoenix, Palm Springs and El Paso is pretty verifiable.

You must be logged in to comment.

Click Here to Log In.