State Schedule
04/01/2021 1:26:38 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
Come on Ed, I was going to refrain from posting but 2a got the shaft for state xc meet when we were supposed to go in the morning, but Alex did us wrong with a nice hot later time, and now your giving us a 1600 at 11:30 and a 3200 at 12:50 in MAY? Please tell us this is an April Fools Joke and the real schedule will be out tomorrow? Edit: 4a 1600 at 7;30 pm and 3200 at 8:50 pm. Should only be about 20 degree different from 2a to 4a~ [url=https://fhsaa.com/sports/2021/4/1/TRACK_Event%20Schedule.aspx]https://fhsaa.com/sports/2021/4/1/TRACK_Event%20Schedule.aspx[/url]
Come on Ed, I was going to refrain from posting but 2a got the shaft for state xc meet when we were supposed to go in the morning, but Alex did us wrong with a nice hot later time, and now your giving us a 1600 at 11:30 and a 3200 at 12:50 in MAY? Please tell us this is an April Fools Joke and the real schedule will be out tomorrow?

Edit: 4a 1600 at 7;30 pm and 3200 at 8:50 pm. Should only be about 20 degree different from 2a to 4a~

https://fhsaa.com/sports/2021/4/1/TRACK_Event%20Schedule.aspx
04/01/2021 1:54:19 PM
Coach
@coachbutler Seems to be the norm for us in 2A this year.
@coachbutler Seems to be the norm for us in 2A this year.
04/01/2021 1:58:10 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
@coachbutler If we follow heat humidity guidelines at that hour, the distance events wouldn't be able to take place per Florida policy.. [b]wet bulb 92.1 at that hour in may in Jax is a good bet.[/b] I know Ed is doing what he can with a lot of pressures, but hopefully this can be addressed
@coachbutler

If we follow heat humidity guidelines at that hour, the distance events wouldn't be able to take place per Florida policy.. wet bulb 92.1 at that hour in may in Jax is a good bet.

I know Ed is doing what he can with a lot of pressures, but hopefully this can be addressed
04/01/2021 2:25:56 PM
User
SUBSCRIBER
Those are hot times of the day to run. You think that’s bad, try running in South Florida for an at large bid at 94 degrees when just about everyone north of Orlando is running 20 degrees cooler if not more. The heat index is 93 degrees currently in Broward county. It’s 59 in Jacksonville.
Those are hot times of the day to run. You think that's bad, try running in South Florida for an at large bid at 94 degrees when just about everyone north of Orlando is running 20 degrees cooler if not more. The heat index is 93 degrees currently in Broward county. It's 59 in Jacksonville.
04/01/2021 3:40:47 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
@coachbutler 2A state finals at Satellite???? Put it on calendar and they will come! Skip starting at the district meet. Keep the funds in the school programs. Make your own trophies! Qualifier 5-1-2021 Finals 5-8-2021
@coachbutler

2A state finals at Satellite???? Put it on calendar and they will come!

Skip starting at the district meet. Keep the funds in the school programs. Make your own trophies!

Qualifier 5-1-2021
Finals 5-8-2021
04/01/2021 5:27:21 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
[quote=ERYRC1]@coachbutler 2A state finals at Satellite???? Put it on calendar and they will come! Skip starting at the district meet. Keep the funds in the school programs. Make your own trophies! Qualifier 5-1-2021 Finals 5-8-2021[/quote] NGL I’d be down.
ERYRC1 wrote:
@coachbutler

2A state finals at Satellite???? Put it on calendar and they will come!

Skip starting at the district meet. Keep the funds in the school programs. Make your own trophies!

Qualifier 5-1-2021
Finals 5-8-2021

NGL I'd be down.
04/01/2021 7:09:17 PM
User
SUBSCRIBER
@coachbutler This schedule is borderline wreckless - especially if kids are doubling in the heat. PLEASE tell me the FHSAA can be pushed to change this. Put the dang distance races at night!!! THIS IS NOT ROCKET SCIENCE
@coachbutler

This schedule is borderline wreckless - especially if kids are doubling in the heat. PLEASE tell me the FHSAA can be pushed to change this. Put the dang distance races at night!!! THIS IS NOT ROCKET SCIENCE
04/01/2021 7:14:55 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
@11338357. The place is big enough to do two classes at night. What happens if heat index is over the limit, do the waive it ? Biggest race of year for kids and we have to put distance races in heat of day? What happens if it storms during the day? Do those race go virtual? Do the night races get delayed? Come on FHSAA the kids deserve better judgement.
@11338357. The place is big enough to do two classes at night. What happens if heat index is over the limit, do the waive it ? Biggest race of year for kids and we have to put distance races in heat of day? What happens if it storms during the day? Do those race go virtual? Do the night races get delayed? Come on FHSAA the kids deserve better judgement.
04/02/2021 6:52:10 AM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
Combining two classes during the later time block is the only equitable and safe solution. Just participated in a meet where the running events were between 11:30 and 2:30. Great meet, but kids were vomiting on the infield. It was the heat, not because they were out of shape. Just doesn't make sense to race half of your state's best during the hottest part of the day and the other half at dusk/after the sun goes down. If the FHSAA is worried about liability in regards to covid, the liability of racing these kids at the hottest part of the day is higher. Precautions can be made for Covid. Negligence can be proven with the current schedule.
Combining two classes during the later time block is the only equitable and safe solution. Just participated in a meet where the running events were between 11:30 and 2:30. Great meet, but kids were vomiting on the infield. It was the heat, not because they were out of shape.
Just doesn't make sense to race half of your state's best during the hottest part of the day and the other half at dusk/after the sun goes down. If the FHSAA is worried about liability in regards to covid, the liability of racing these kids at the hottest part of the day is higher. Precautions can be made for Covid. Negligence can be proven with the current schedule.
04/02/2021 7:56:24 AM
User
This venue could hold all 4 classes with ease a few years ago. I don't really see what the problem is with having 2 at a time with everyone racing at night. If that's not possible then they should at least give the schools who had to compete in the midday heat during xc state champs (2a and 4a) the chance to compete at night for track states.
This venue could hold all 4 classes with ease a few years ago. I don't really see what the problem is with having 2 at a time with everyone racing at night.
If that's not possible then they should at least give the schools who had to compete in the midday heat during xc state champs (2a and 4a) the chance to compete at night for track states.
04/02/2021 10:15:36 AM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
@coachbutler You are completely right. It is not that difficult to do sprint races in the morning and distance at night. Someone needs to fix this. How can we get them to change it? Heat index will be over 100. 2A constantly gets screwed over. Someone change this immediately
@coachbutler

You are completely right. It is not that difficult to do sprint races in the morning and distance at night. Someone needs to fix this. How can we get them to change it? Heat index will be over 100. 2A constantly gets screwed over. Someone change this immediately
04/06/2021 9:21:29 AM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
@anoble03 Thats not going to happen. He has said all along that he wants people to run and leave. he also wants it so MOST teams dont have to stay the night, I think he said run your race and leave and be home by midnight in most cases. Its a tightly packed meet that has field events going at the same time as running events with kids checking in and out? No extra time for delays? The races in the heat will slow things down, but many schools practice after school anyways. Rolling thunderstorms either day will cause the most issues. How late can you really go on Saturday? You cant run Sunday, and you cant expect people to stay to monday or come back on monday.
@anoble03
Thats not going to happen. He has said all along that he wants people to run and leave. he also wants it so MOST teams dont have to stay the night, I think he said run your race and leave and be home by midnight in most cases.

Its a tightly packed meet that has field events going at the same time as running events with kids checking in and out? No extra time for delays? The races in the heat will slow things down, but many schools practice after school anyways. Rolling thunderstorms either day will cause the most issues. How late can you really go on Saturday? You cant run Sunday, and you cant expect people to stay to monday or come back on monday.
04/06/2021 10:08:55 AM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
@Longhorn Oh, you can run on Sunday... Just ask the !A and 2A schools from Cross Country (never mind that violates FHSAA's own policy regarding Sunday practices / competition and many 1A/2A schools have religious ties) Also - half the state will HAVE to spend the night. 1A and 2A start competing at 8:00 AM on their respective days. So, the schedule does not really avoid overnight stays. Essentially, the State just wants to say they hosted a State meet. The consideration is not what is in the best interest of the athletes, and that has been validated all year. Instead of asking the simple question that should govern their association - "What is in the best interest of the athletes and sport?", they instead only ask "What is in the best interest of liability?" Oh well, lots of athletes will have to choose and unfortunately fields will witness athletes dropping out. In the end, the FHSAA can say they hosted a meet.
@Longhorn
Oh, you can run on Sunday... Just ask the !A and 2A schools from Cross Country (never mind that violates FHSAA's own policy regarding Sunday practices / competition and many 1A/2A schools have religious ties)

Also - half the state will HAVE to spend the night. 1A and 2A start competing at 8:00 AM on their respective days. So, the schedule does not really avoid overnight stays.

Essentially, the State just wants to say they hosted a State meet. The consideration is not what is in the best interest of the athletes, and that has been validated all year. Instead of asking the simple question that should govern their association - "What is in the best interest of the athletes and sport?", they instead only ask "What is in the best interest of liability?"

Oh well, lots of athletes will have to choose and unfortunately fields will witness athletes dropping out. In the end, the FHSAA can say they hosted a meet.
04/06/2021 11:07:26 AM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
@erik I forgot about xc this year! Im not saying I agree but simply this is the thinking. They can say the schedule limits overnight stays, too bad if that doesn't work for you. I can almost gareentee my county wont pay for hotels when we can drive 3.5 hours home and be back by 12:30. Which sets us up nicely for a rain delay and no availability of hotels anymore
@erik
I forgot about xc this year! Im not saying I agree but simply this is the thinking. They can say the schedule limits overnight stays, too bad if that doesn't work for you. I can almost gareentee my county wont pay for hotels when we can drive 3.5 hours home and be back by 12:30. Which sets us up nicely for a rain delay and no availability of hotels anymore
04/06/2021 12:07:46 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
In most of the past years, there was a cushion for weather delays... prelims could be cancelled etc. But this year, with bad weather, Sunday races might still be on the table. State track has been on Sundays when bad Saturday weather dictated it.
In most of the past years, there was a cushion for weather delays... prelims could be cancelled etc.
But this year, with bad weather, Sunday races might still be on the table. State track has been on Sundays when bad Saturday weather dictated it.
04/12/2021 9:32:23 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
@coachbutler Neat article here.... [url=https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.timesunion.com/sports/amp/Area-s-best-scholastic-wrestlers-leave-New-York-16065757.php]https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.timesunion.com/sports/amp/Area-s-best-scholastic-wrestlers-leave-New-York-16065757.php[/url] Imagine having a state meet where you can run all 9 of your sub 10 3200 guys and you aren’t limited to 4. Imagine having a state meet where everything makes sense from the schedule, to spectators and so on :) The biggest stage where kids are in the best shape and looking to land athletic scholarships based on their 1600/3200 times and they are slotted for the hottest part of the day? Or the kids who are in bed at 8:30pm every night for months on months so they can do well academically or run in the morning to avoid the heat and they are being asked to run at 9pm? Make it happen!
@coachbutler

Neat article here....

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.timesunion.com/sports/amp/Area-s-best-scholastic-wrestlers-leave-New-York-16065757.php

Imagine having a state meet where you can run all 9 of your sub 10 3200 guys and you aren't limited to 4.

Imagine having a state meet where everything makes sense from the schedule, to spectators and so on :)

The biggest stage where kids are in the best shape and looking to land athletic scholarships based on their 1600/3200 times and they are slotted for the hottest part of the day? Or the kids who are in bed at 8:30pm every night for months on months so they can do well academically or run in the morning to avoid the heat and they are being asked to run at 9pm?

Make it happen!
05/01/2021 2:38:42 PM
User
SUBSCRIBER
[url=https://www.nytimes.com/2007/10/08/us/08chicago.html?smid=url-share]https://www.nytimes.com/2007/10/08/us/08chicago.html?smid=url-share[/url]
05/01/2021 2:42:11 PM
User
SUBSCRIBER
2007 Chicago Marathon...1600/3200 not the same as the marathon but does the FHSAA want this to be their story if something goes wrong? As a parent I would be happy not to attend if my kids could run safely in my absence.
2007 Chicago Marathon...1600/3200 not the same as the marathon but does the FHSAA want this to be their story if something goes wrong?

As a parent I would be happy not to attend if my kids could run safely in my absence.

You must be logged in to comment.

Click Here to Log In.