Who is the best coach in Florida History?
02/09/2021 12:06:44 PM
User
Comment
Comment
02/09/2021 1:46:35 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
@milesplit50 Russ Cozart and it’s not even close. Great topic to bring awareness to the community.
@milesplit50

Russ Cozart and it's not even close. Great topic to bring awareness to the community.
02/09/2021 2:15:57 PM
User
@ERYRC1 Let’s talk Cross Country coaches
@ERYRC1

Let's talk Cross Country coaches
02/10/2021 12:00:04 AM
User
SUBSCRIBER
@milesplit50 some that immediately come to mind: Brent Haley - largo mike holloway - bucholz bob ennis - leto (tampa) Frankie Ruiz - belen Doug Butler - Satellite/Holy Trinity a lesser praised coach that deserves more credit: Peter Hopfe (Flagler-Palm Coast): had back to back state champions in XC. had a slew of 4:2x and below milers. including Sam Vasquez at 4:03, Justin Harbor at 4:12 and Matt Cianciulli at 4:12. How many FL coaches have had 3 kids run 4:12 or faster?
@milesplit50

some that immediately come to mind:

Brent Haley - largo
mike holloway - bucholz
bob ennis - leto (tampa)
Frankie Ruiz - belen
Doug Butler - Satellite/Holy Trinity

a lesser praised coach that deserves more credit:

Peter Hopfe (Flagler-Palm Coast):

had back to back state champions in XC. had a slew of 4:2x and below milers. including Sam Vasquez at 4:03, Justin Harbor at 4:12 and Matt Cianciulli at 4:12. How many FL coaches have had 3 kids run 4:12 or faster?
02/10/2021 8:48:49 AM
Coach
@milesplit50 For simplicity, there are 3 types of coaches....1) Coaches who have won several state championships because of the talent they had/have (not because of their coaching). 2) Coaches who have won several state championships because of their coaching abilities (knowledge of sport + connection with athletes). 3)Coaches who have won zero state championships, but continuously have athletes who improve greatly and those athletes develop into great human beings. So, I think a general term like "best" needs to be defined if comparisons are to be normalized. The following is a list of names of coaches in which I was able to witness (from afar or worked with) and have first-hand knowledge of their coaching abilities. Names that come to mind (excluding the first type I mentioned above) and in no particular order are: Ari Montalvo (Lourdes Academy) Steve Calloway (Gulliver Prep) Rick Rothman (Spanish River) Mike Shewchuck (Winter Park) Mike Hill (Winter Park) Renee Plasencia (Colonial) Gerry Spring (Trinity Prep / Lake Highland) Edwin McTureous (Oak Hall) Gary Droze (Maclay) Andrew Wills (Leon) Mike Phillips (Chiles) Willie Parker (Vero Beach/Emerald Coast) Tom Bundy (Astronaut High) Dave Kunkle (Astronaut High) Doug Butler (Holy Trinity /Satellite) Dan Dearing (Bolles) Tony Ryan (Bolles) Michelle Kendall/Krueger (Episcopal) David Halliday (Columbia / Flagler Palm Coast) Eric Lipham (Berkley Prep) ...I am sure I'm leaving out quite a few. To me...the number 1 thing all these coaches have in common is that they are fantastic human beings....and just so happened to have experienced quite a bit of success in the realm of coaching.
@milesplit50

For simplicity, there are 3 types of coaches....1) Coaches who have won several state championships because of the talent they had/have (not because of their coaching). 2) Coaches who have won several state championships because of their coaching abilities (knowledge of sport + connection with athletes). 3)Coaches who have won zero state championships, but continuously have athletes who improve greatly and those athletes develop into great human beings. So, I think a general term like "best" needs to be defined if comparisons are to be normalized.

The following is a list of names of coaches in which I was able to witness (from afar or worked with) and have first-hand knowledge of their coaching abilities. Names that come to mind (excluding the first type I mentioned above) and in no particular order are:

Ari Montalvo (Lourdes Academy)
Steve Calloway (Gulliver Prep)
Rick Rothman (Spanish River)
Mike Shewchuck (Winter Park)
Mike Hill (Winter Park)
Renee Plasencia (Colonial)
Gerry Spring (Trinity Prep / Lake Highland)
Edwin McTureous (Oak Hall)
Gary Droze (Maclay)
Andrew Wills (Leon)
Mike Phillips (Chiles)
Willie Parker (Vero Beach/Emerald Coast)
Tom Bundy (Astronaut High)
Dave Kunkle (Astronaut High)
Doug Butler (Holy Trinity /Satellite)
Dan Dearing (Bolles)
Tony Ryan (Bolles)
Michelle Kendall/Krueger (Episcopal)
David Halliday (Columbia / Flagler Palm Coast)
Eric Lipham (Berkley Prep)

...I am sure I'm leaving out quite a few.

To me...the number 1 thing all these coaches have in common is that they are fantastic human beings....and just so happened to have experienced quite a bit of success in the realm of coaching.
02/10/2021 9:35:14 AM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
@multijumps Roy Harrison and Mike Boza, Class acts, kids first mentality!
@multijumps

Roy Harrison and Mike Boza, Class acts, kids first mentality!
02/10/2021 9:39:52 AM
Power User
SUBSCRIBER
@multijumps Jeff Sommer (Estero) who literally gave his life comes to mind that has been missed in this post
@multijumps
Jeff Sommer (Estero) who literally gave his life comes to mind that has been missed in this post
02/10/2021 11:06:32 AM
User
@multijumps Leaving out Frankie Ruiz
@multijumps

Leaving out Frankie Ruiz
02/10/2021 11:13:03 AM
User
SUBSCRIBER
Ken Vinal (Trinity Prep) also has to be mentioned!
Ken Vinal (Trinity Prep) also has to be mentioned!
02/10/2021 12:09:12 PM
Coach
@wilhelmc19 Definitely!
@wilhelmc19

Definitely!
02/10/2021 12:09:36 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
What a great question By "best coach" does one mean who is the winningest? or one who can generate enthusiasm and build something from nothing! There are some schools and demographics that do not lend themselves to championships. That being said I'd add in [b]Mike McPherson[/b] one of few coaches to win multiple state titles a two different schools in different classes in different eras.
What a great question

By "best coach" does one mean who is the winningest? or one who can generate enthusiasm and build something from nothing!

There are some schools and demographics that do not lend themselves to championships.

That being said I'd add in

Mike McPherson one of few coaches to win multiple state titles a two different schools in different classes in different eras.
02/10/2021 12:14:10 PM
Coach
@coachbutler I know the names, but have never watched them in action.
@coachbutler

I know the names, but have never watched them in action.
02/10/2021 12:16:50 PM
Coach
[quote=milesplit50] Leaving out Frankie Ruiz [/quote] No doubt! I never had the privilege to watch him work his magic (that's why he was not on my list).
milesplit50 wrote:

Leaving out Frankie Ruiz

No doubt! I never had the privilege to watch him work his magic (that's why he was not on my list).
02/10/2021 1:52:57 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
I think the criteria here is very subjective. But I’d add Andy Holmes. Back to back XC state championships. Very small Christian school. Andy does the two things I think are essential to success. He identifies and develops talent that consistently produce. That’s a great coach.
I think the criteria here is very subjective. But I'd add Andy Holmes. Back to back XC state championships. Very small Christian school. Andy does the two things I think are essential to success. He identifies and develops talent that consistently produce. That's a great coach.
02/10/2021 2:28:20 PM
User
How about winningest?
How about winningest?
02/14/2021 12:24:18 PM
Coach
@Nilsa That can be looked up (maybe on the FHSAA website or FACA website?) Doug Butler Frankie Ruiz Gary Droze Roy Harrison Tony Ryan Brent Haley Roy Harrison Scott Gowan
@Nilsa

That can be looked up (maybe on the FHSAA website or FACA website?)

Doug Butler
Frankie Ruiz
Gary Droze
Roy Harrison
Tony Ryan
Brent Haley
Roy Harrison
Scott Gowan
02/16/2021 8:57:13 AM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
@multijumps @milesplit50 I will always put in a vote for Ernie Chatman for these type posts...
@multijumps @milesplit50

I will always put in a vote for Ernie Chatman for these type posts...
03/10/2021 11:36:01 AM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
@multijumps I would say the best is Coach Carmen Jackson at Northwestern Sr. High in Miami. She's not only won at least ten high school state championships at NW, but she saved middle school track in Miami/Dade when four years ago it looked like we wouldn't have a sponsoring school to continue the program. Northwestern stepped up wonderfully to put on the middle school meets, and Carmen named two middle school coaches to be honorary meet directors for the Louie Bing meet in 2020 as part of her promotion of middle school track.
@multijumps

I would say the best is Coach Carmen Jackson at Northwestern Sr. High in Miami. She's not only won at least ten high school state championships at NW, but she saved middle school track in Miami/Dade when four years ago it looked like we wouldn't have a sponsoring school to continue the program. Northwestern stepped up wonderfully to put on the middle school meets, and Carmen named two middle school coaches to be honorary meet directors for the Louie Bing meet in 2020 as part of her promotion of middle school track.
03/10/2021 12:17:45 PM
Coach
[quote=gda1980]@multijumps I would say the best is Coach Carmen Jackson at Northwestern Sr. High in Miami. She's not only won at least ten high school state championships at NW, but she saved middle school track in Miami/Dade when four years ago it looked like we wouldn't have a sponsoring school to continue the program. Northwestern stepped up wonderfully to put on the middle school meets, and Carmen named two middle school coaches to be honorary meet directors for the Louie Bing meet in 2020 as part of her promotion of middle school track. [/quote] I do not know her personally, but I do know she has produced some phenomenal athletes and teams over many years. When it comes to results, she has consistently produced at the highest levels. I would argue she HAS to be in the top 5, results producing, Florida high school track & field coaches of all time.
gda1980 wrote:
@multijumps

I would say the best is Coach Carmen Jackson at Northwestern Sr. High in Miami. She's not only won at least ten high school state championships at NW, but she saved middle school track in Miami/Dade when four years ago it looked like we wouldn't have a sponsoring school to continue the program. Northwestern stepped up wonderfully to put on the middle school meets, and Carmen named two middle school coaches to be honorary meet directors for the Louie Bing meet in 2020 as part of her promotion of middle school track.

I do not know her personally, but I do know she has produced some phenomenal athletes and teams over many years. When it comes to results, she has consistently produced at the highest levels. I would argue she HAS to be in the top 5, results producing, Florida high school track & field coaches of all time.

You must be logged in to comment.

Click Here to Log In.