State Championships Schedule
10/17/2020 3:02:10 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
Any idea why the fhsaa site shows "TBD"? I thought it was decided that class 1 & 2 was on friday / 3 & 4 on saturday. At least that's what the "old" website showed.
Any idea why the fhsaa site shows "TBD"? I thought it was decided that class 1 & 2 was on friday / 3 & 4 on saturday. At least that's what the "old" website showed.
10/17/2020 4:29:59 PM
Power User
SUBSCRIBER
@javargas Hopefully someone with a bit of common sense (or who has influence with the FHSAA) will convince them to move the starting times for the 2A and 4A Friday and Saturday afternoon races to a later start . . . there's no reason why the Girls race can't start at 4:30 pm and the Boys race at 5:00 pm. Awards for only one classification should not take too long.
@javargas

Hopefully someone with a bit of common sense (or who has influence with the FHSAA) will convince them to move the starting times for the 2A and 4A Friday and Saturday afternoon races to a later start . . . there's no reason why the Girls race can't start at 4:30 pm and the Boys race at 5:00 pm. Awards for only one classification should not take too long.
10/18/2020 8:28:27 PM
User
The reason is called "sunset".
The reason is called "sunset".
10/18/2020 10:44:10 PM
Power User
SUBSCRIBER
@hwills.flosports **It's still bright for at least 20-30 minutes after "sunset" in just about every place in the world **Every year since 2012 teams (lots of teams!) have shown up to ARP in the dark well over an hour before "sunrise" for the state meet . . . now that it's only one classification, not sure why the four teams and the individuals getting awards can't leave ARP in the 30 minutes or so after "sunset"
@hwills.flosports

**It's still bright for at least 20-30 minutes after "sunset" in just about every place in the world
**Every year since 2012 teams (lots of teams!) have shown up to ARP in the dark well over an hour before "sunrise" for the state meet . . . now that it's only one classification, not sure why the four teams and the individuals getting awards can't leave ARP in the 30 minutes or so after "sunset"
10/19/2020 5:53:00 AM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
@vantheman1984 Agreed! While the sunset time for 11/13 is 5:40pm, in Tallahassee, “civil twilight” is scheduled for 6:05pm. That would be the time when dark really hits. We based the last race at Katie Caples on civil twilight this year since we couldn’t get lights out, and there was plenty of light for the athletes to see well and race safely. You could easily start the girls at 4:30pm, the boys at 5:00pm and awards at 5:45pm. Teams might be leaving in the dark but there would definitely still be 20-25minutes of light for awards.
@vantheman1984
Agreed! While the sunset time for 11/13 is 5:40pm, in Tallahassee, "civil twilight" is scheduled for 6:05pm. That would be the time when dark really hits. We based the last race at Katie Caples on civil twilight this year since we couldn't get lights out, and there was plenty of light for the athletes to see well and race safely.

You could easily start the girls at 4:30pm, the boys at 5:00pm and awards at 5:45pm. Teams might be leaving in the dark but there would definitely still be 20-25minutes of light for awards.
10/19/2020 1:04:06 PM
Power User
SUBSCRIBER
@CoachKCurran @vantheman1984 I just got an email from Alex that schedule changed. I was curious about course preview: Friday: 1A 7:30/8:05, 2A 11:30 am/12:05 pm Same for Saturday with 3A first and 4A at 12:00 and 12:35.
@CoachKCurran @vantheman1984

I just got an email from Alex that schedule changed. I was curious about course preview:
Friday: 1A 7:30/8:05, 2A 11:30 am/12:05 pm
Same for Saturday with 3A first and 4A at 12:00 and 12:35.
10/19/2020 1:08:05 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
@John_Stevenson Are you serious? Who decided to put the races in the middle of the hottest part of the day? Please tell me this is a joke? Alex, seriously?
@John_Stevenson Are you serious? Who decided to put the races in the middle of the hottest part of the day? Please tell me this is a joke? Alex, seriously?
10/19/2020 1:10:40 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
@coachbutler From 7:30 to noon the temp will go up 10 degrees!
@coachbutler From 7:30 to noon the temp will go up 10 degrees!
10/19/2020 1:13:17 PM
Power User
SUBSCRIBER
@coachbutler Totally agree! I really had to read the email three times to make sure I was reading it correctly.
@coachbutler
Totally agree! I really had to read the email three times to make sure I was reading it correctly.
10/19/2020 1:13:44 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
@John_Stevenson I know no one here has control over this but.... I'm certainly thankful for even having a state meet this year. But, this year was Girls 2A turn to be the very first race. And now we're running at 11:30 am! It can potentially very warm at that time. I will have my wet globe bulb thermometer handy for sure.
@John_Stevenson

I know no one here has control over this but....

I'm certainly thankful for even having a state meet this year.

But, this year was Girls 2A turn to be the very first race. And now we're running at 11:30 am!

It can potentially very warm at that time. I will have my wet globe bulb thermometer handy for sure.
10/19/2020 1:17:04 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
@RayRodriguez Agree, 2a got the shaft this year. Who was in on these decisions? Advisory panel not consulted.
@RayRodriguez Agree, 2a got the shaft this year. Who was in on these decisions? Advisory panel not consulted.
10/19/2020 1:18:52 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
@RayRodriguez Not only will it be warm, but no one races at noon!!!! How do you prepare for that? Certainly not in the best interest of the athletes.... Agreed with Ray - 2A was supposed to be first this year.
@RayRodriguez
Not only will it be warm, but no one races at noon!!!! How do you prepare for that? Certainly not in the best interest of the athletes....
Agreed with Ray - 2A was supposed to be first this year.
10/19/2020 2:03:28 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
[b]Coming from the hottest place in the world (Miami)[/b] I am shocked that Alex would be putting on the State meet at NOON! Yes I understand the temp is always close to perfect in Tally during Nov, but there is ALWAYS a very strong sun with zero cloud coverage. I can think of only ONE reason to make it at Noon and that is to allow teams to head back home before it gets too late. For anyone South of Orlando we need to stay the extra night anyways. If we leave Tally at 2pm we get home very late. The race can EASILY be changed to a 4:30pm start. We have time to make the change now. Alex has always been awesome with our sport. Hoping he can pull through!!! ~Alex
Coming from the hottest place in the world (Miami)

I am shocked that Alex would be putting on the State meet at NOON! Yes I understand the temp is always close to perfect in Tally during Nov, but there is ALWAYS a very strong sun with zero cloud coverage.

I can think of only ONE reason to make it at Noon and that is to allow teams to head back home before it gets too late. For anyone South of Orlando we need to stay the extra night anyways. If we leave Tally at 2pm we get home very late. The race can EASILY be changed to a 4:30pm start. We have time to make the change now. Alex has always been awesome with our sport. Hoping he can pull through!!!

~Alex
10/19/2020 2:10:43 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
The only answer that makes any sense is that many people are not comfortable staying in hotels during the pandemic. With a mid day race, maybe someone thinks people aren't gonna stay over the night before or the night after. Shaw is right though it lets people get back to South Florida... though with so many schools down here opting out that is contradictory.
The only answer that makes any sense is that many people are not comfortable staying in hotels during the pandemic. With a mid day race, maybe someone thinks people aren't gonna stay over the night before or the night after. Shaw is right though it lets people get back to South Florida... though with so many schools down here opting out that is contradictory.
10/19/2020 2:16:43 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
Just wait till you get to tell your kids they can only pick one parent to come watch! State meet but both your parents can't be there. Let's move the meet. Someone needs to wake up.
Just wait till you get to tell your kids they can only pick one parent to come watch! State meet but both your parents can't be there. Let's move the meet. Someone needs to wake up.
10/19/2020 2:23:49 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
High school football games are permitting 1000 people here in Brevard, in one grandstand, yet we cant have 600 spectators spread out at a state xc meet? Who makes this up?
High school football games are permitting 1000 people here in Brevard, in one grandstand, yet we cant have 600 spectators spread out at a state xc meet? Who makes this up?
10/19/2020 2:25:49 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
I emailed Alex. Waiting for an answer. Not sure if maybe they are thinking course preview is easier for 3A/4A by making the 1A/2A races on Friday finish up sooner? Bizarre time for races for sure
I emailed Alex. Waiting for an answer. Not sure if maybe they are thinking course preview is easier for 3A/4A by making the 1A/2A races on Friday finish up sooner? Bizarre time for races for sure
10/19/2020 2:29:09 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
@Aholmes80 Ask him about the one spectator per athlete, I don't get answers.
@Aholmes80 Ask him about the one spectator per athlete, I don't get answers.
10/19/2020 2:33:15 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
@coachbutler He said “2A and 4A races were moved to the middle of the day due to logistical reasons dealing with the park’s safety protocols and staffing issues” Sent him a message about the spectators
@coachbutler

He said "2A and 4A races were moved to the middle of the day due to logistical reasons dealing with the park's safety protocols and staffing issues"

Sent him a message about the spectators
10/19/2020 2:35:05 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
@Aholmes80 Yes, that is what the Leon County Commission passed. With that said, the county is allowing each qualified team to purchase up to 15 spectator tickets and we are allowing 2 coaches and 3 alternate in addition to the 7 runners, per team.
@Aholmes80

Yes, that is what the Leon County Commission passed. With that said, the county is allowing each qualified team to purchase up to 15 spectator tickets and we are allowing 2 coaches and 3 alternate in addition to the 7 runners, per team.

You must be logged in to comment.

Click Here to Log In.