Don't Cancel Sports
07/14/2020 9:38:03 AM
User
SUBSCRIBER
Hi Coaches, please consider signing [url=https://www.change.org/p/fhsaa-don-t-cancel-school-sports-72c4a668-8d79-44e6-94b4-e48059f420ab]thi[/url]s and sharing. It's an attempt to at least urge decision makers at the state and county level to consider all options for safety against Covid before canceling all sports. Whether your sport is in the Fall, Winter or Spring I think the ramifications of delay or cancelation will be felt by all. The mental and physical health of our kids is paramount. I know some will say the timing of this effort is not great considering that Florida is the new epicenter but there is little choice to instigate a real debate and avoid a decision in haste out of fear of all of the mixed messages out there. Just think, next steps will be high school sports transitioning to club if schools buckle to the pressure. Some will be critical of advocates for youth sports as being less important than issues of life and death, but I would say this is exactly what keeping kids in sports is about: healthy living and life. We wouldn't be nearly in the predicament we are in if sport was a part of more lifestyles. Consider reaching out to FHSAA Board Members as well, rumor has it that they are meeting Monday at 5. [url=https://www.change.org/p/fhsaa-don-t-cancel-school-sports-72c4a668-8d79-44e6-94b4-e48059f420ab][url=https://www.change.org/p/fhsaa-don-t-cancel-school-sports-72c4a668-8d79-44e6-94b4-e48059f420ab]https://www.change.org/p/fhsaa-don-t-cancel-school-sports-72c4a668-8d79-44e6-94b4-e48059f420ab[/url][/url]
Hi Coaches, please consider signing this and sharing. It's an attempt to at least urge decision makers at the state and county level to consider all options for safety against Covid before canceling all sports. Whether your sport is in the Fall, Winter or Spring I think the ramifications of delay or cancelation will be felt by all. The mental and physical health of our kids is paramount. I know some will say the timing of this effort is not great considering that Florida is the new epicenter but there is little choice to instigate a real debate and avoid a decision in haste out of fear of all of the mixed messages out there. Just think, next steps will be high school sports transitioning to club if schools buckle to the pressure. Some will be critical of advocates for youth sports as being less important than issues of life and death, but I would say this is exactly what keeping kids in sports is about: healthy living and life. We wouldn't be nearly in the predicament we are in if sport was a part of more lifestyles. Consider reaching out to FHSAA Board Members as well, rumor has it that they are meeting Monday at 5.

07/14/2020 2:26:16 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
Done and posted to FB
Done and posted to FB
07/14/2020 3:01:38 PM
User
SUBSCRIBER
@EdwardsMom05 Thank you
@EdwardsMom05 Thank you
07/15/2020 4:12:45 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
Done and Shared Frankie, lets blow it up!
Done and Shared Frankie, lets blow it up!
07/15/2020 10:45:10 PM
User
SUBSCRIBER
@coachbutler Thanks Coach! I don't think parents/adults (and some kids) realize what life is without high school sports for what can become almost a year. I hope we can help the decision makers hit the pause button to truly think through all of the possible solutions. I wrote to all of the board members, only thing is that there are a few new board members beginning a term now so the list on the FHSAA site isn't up to date.
@coachbutler Thanks Coach! I don't think parents/adults (and some kids) realize what life is without high school sports for what can become almost a year. I hope we can help the decision makers hit the pause button to truly think through all of the possible solutions. I wrote to all of the board members, only thing is that there are a few new board members beginning a term now so the list on the FHSAA site isn't up to date.
07/16/2020 11:37:00 AM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
@frankieruiz Thanks for bringing the meeting up to attention of coaches. Hopefully any restrictive decisions made now (by the FHSAA and by local governments) can be revisited when the health crisis abates.
@frankieruiz

Thanks for bringing the meeting up to attention of coaches.
Hopefully any restrictive decisions made now (by the FHSAA and by local governments) can be revisited when the health crisis abates.
07/16/2020 2:11:37 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
The canceling of NXN does not bode well...
The canceling of NXN does not bode well...
07/16/2020 3:55:36 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
What we do in Florida shouldn’t be dictated by what any other state does.
What we do in Florida shouldn't be dictated by what any other state does.
07/16/2020 4:50:54 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
[quote=frankieruiz]The mental and [b]physical health[/b]of our kids is paramount[/quote] Which is why we MUST cancel activities that put our kids' health at risk. I too miss sports, but the cost is just far too great RIGHT NOW when our numbers are spiralling out of control.
frankieruiz wrote:
The mental and physical healthof our kids is paramount

Which is why we MUST cancel activities that put our kids' health at risk. I too miss sports, but the cost is just far too great RIGHT NOW when our numbers are spiralling out of control.
07/16/2020 7:19:42 PM
User
SUBSCRIBER
@statguy I put that line in there first just for that obvious simplistic reaction. Good catch you fell for it. Now, show me the spiraling “Numbers” that show that people and/or kids are getting sick from running outdoors and I’ll shut up. Then I will fully support more shut downs keeping kids away from the dangers in sport. If you read the entire letter beyond the first line it simply urges possible solutions not outright narrow minded blanket cancelations across all sports.
@statguy I put that line in there first just for that obvious simplistic reaction. Good catch you fell for it. Now, show me the spiraling "Numbers" that show that people and/or kids are getting sick from running outdoors and I'll shut up. Then I will fully support more shut downs keeping kids away from the dangers in sport. If you read the entire letter beyond the first line it simply urges possible solutions not outright narrow minded blanket cancelations across all sports.
07/16/2020 7:29:43 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
[quote=frankieruiz]show me the spiraling “Numbers” that show that people and/or kids are getting sick from running outdoors and I’ll shut up.[/quote] These are the life and death numbers: [url=https://fdoh.maps.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/8d0de33f260d444c852a615dc7837c86]https://fdoh.maps.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/8d0de33f260d444c852a615dc7837c86[/url] Do you really think that sports events are any different than any other unsocially-distanced / unmasked activities? P.S. Of course you won't shut up; science means little to some people - it's all about getting to do what you want to do regardless of the consequences. I see it every day, all over the state.
frankieruiz wrote:
show me the spiraling "Numbers" that show that people and/or kids are getting sick from running outdoors and I'll shut up.

These are the life and death numbers:

https://fdoh.maps.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/8d0de33f260d444c852a615dc7837c86

Do you really think that sports events are any different than any other unsocially-distanced / unmasked activities?

P.S. Of course you won't shut up; science means little to some people - it's all about getting to do what you want to do regardless of the consequences. I see it every day, all over the state.
07/16/2020 8:01:33 PM
User
SUBSCRIBER
@statguy have a great day.
@statguy have a great day.
07/16/2020 8:14:55 PM
User
Zero chance of high school sports in fall Olympics has been postponed a year NCAA tournament cancelled Masters Golf tourney cancelled All Marathons have been cancelled Ivy League cancelled fall sports NXN Cancelled C'mon man! It's over I would prepare for life without high school sports for a while Fall of 2021 would be likely when it resumes
Zero chance of high school sports in fall

Olympics has been postponed a year
NCAA tournament cancelled
Masters Golf tourney cancelled
All Marathons have been cancelled
Ivy League cancelled fall sports
NXN Cancelled

C'mon man! It's over

I would prepare for life without high school sports for a while

Fall of 2021 would be likely when it resumes
07/16/2020 9:06:36 PM
User
I have to agree with Frankie on this one. There are many potential routes the FHSAA can take to ensure a safe cross country season. The cancellation of NXN does not mean the FHSAA must cancel XC as well. There could be a silver lining to NXN’s cancellation. Now that late November and December is cleared, the FHSAA can push the XC state series into those months, giving time (hopefully) for covid to die down in Florida as it did in the northeast. Of course, the FHSAA would need to see what happens with Footlocker Nationals, but pushing back the State meet is just one possible solution. While we cannot act as we have in previous years, we can make necessary modifications to allow for a safe season. We could limit the number of teams and runners at meets, especially those at the state series (maybe less teams qualify for states this year). For instance, you could allow max 7 runners/team at a meet with a small number of teams. Unfortunately, spectators would have to remain at home. Testing could occur at important meets. We must also account for the beneficial effects of the kids being outdoors. Every minute the kids spend outside is one they’re not spending indoors, where the virus spreads more easily. At practice, the coaches can monitor kids to ensure that they’re not being reckless. Coaches could split the team up into small packs to minimize potential virus spread. While there is a possibility of droplets spreading the virus, the risk of this happening is much lower in XC than other sports due to the low-contact nature of the sport. Furthermore, the aforementioned measures of splitting up groups could help reduce potential spread. We should be optimistic during these trying times. We’re lucky that our sport isn’t as risky as heavy contact sports like football. Cancelling all sports right now is premature. There is a path forward to a cross country season this year.
I have to agree with Frankie on this one. There are many potential routes the FHSAA can take to ensure a safe cross country season. The cancellation of NXN does not mean the FHSAA must cancel XC as well.

There could be a silver lining to NXN's cancellation. Now that late November and December is cleared, the FHSAA can push the XC state series into those months, giving time (hopefully) for covid to die down in Florida as it did in the northeast. Of course, the FHSAA would need to see what happens with Footlocker Nationals, but pushing back the State meet is just one possible solution.

While we cannot act as we have in previous years, we can make necessary modifications to allow for a safe season. We could limit the number of teams and runners at meets, especially those at the state series (maybe less teams qualify for states this year). For instance, you could allow max 7 runners/team at a meet with a small number of teams. Unfortunately, spectators would have to remain at home. Testing could occur at important meets.

We must also account for the beneficial effects of the kids being outdoors. Every minute the kids spend outside is one they're not spending indoors, where the virus spreads more easily. At practice, the coaches can monitor kids to ensure that they're not being reckless. Coaches could split the team up into small packs to minimize potential virus spread. While there is a possibility of droplets spreading the virus, the risk of this happening is much lower in XC than other sports due to the low-contact nature of the sport. Furthermore, the aforementioned measures of splitting up groups could help reduce potential spread.

We should be optimistic during these trying times. We're lucky that our sport isn't as risky as heavy contact sports like football. Cancelling all sports right now is premature. There is a path forward to a cross country season this year.
07/17/2020 5:49:22 AM
User
@Alpha_runner “ Premature” !?!? What possibly could change between now and Aug/Sept? In March I tried telling this board that track was over, but I kept reading all the possible scenarios about advancing to the state meet So, nothing has changed since March, except we have more cases and the hospital I round at has more Covid cases than ever and our ICU is approaching 3/4 max capacity. 11% of all patients tested are positive. And there might be some chronic medical issues associated with patients that recover. We are not sure because the virus is new Obviously everyone wants sports, but plan on no HS sports this year. No Doctor would sign off on having HS sports Trust me
@Alpha_runner
" Premature" !?!?

What possibly could change between now and Aug/Sept?

In March I tried telling this board that track was over, but I kept reading all the possible scenarios about advancing to the state meet

So, nothing has changed since March, except we have more cases and the hospital I round at has more Covid cases than ever and our ICU is approaching 3/4 max capacity. 11% of all patients tested are positive.

And there might be some chronic medical issues associated with patients that recover. We are not sure because the virus is new

Obviously everyone wants sports, but plan on no HS sports this year. No Doctor would sign off on having HS sports

Trust me
07/17/2020 8:37:19 AM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
@JaXterra Track is back and has been back, and like you said, nothing has changed. They could have safely continued track as we are already seeing. MLS is back, NBA is back, MLB is back, UFC never stopped. Etc etc. Positive cases and critical cases are not the same thing. Suicide, obesity, heart disease, abortion, drug related deaths, alcohol related deaths and infectious disease are just a few of the things that are scarier in the US and in your hospital also. Peak at the heart disease deaths in the US and get back to me when you see that they are basically triple the amount but you are OK with McDonald’s and Chick Fil-A being open? The benefits of school returning and sports returning soar above the what if’s. If you are high risk for anything in life, protect yourself or put yourself in an environment that will keep you safe. More to come next week......
@JaXterra

Track is back and has been back, and like you said, nothing has changed. They could have safely continued track as we are already seeing.

MLS is back, NBA is back, MLB is back, UFC never stopped. Etc etc.

Positive cases and critical cases are not the same thing.

Suicide, obesity, heart disease, abortion, drug related deaths, alcohol related deaths and infectious disease are just a few of the things that are scarier in the US and in your hospital also.

Peak at the heart disease deaths in the US and get back to me when you see that they are basically triple the amount but you are OK with McDonald's and Chick Fil-A being open?

The benefits of school returning and sports returning soar above the what if's. If you are high risk for anything in life, protect yourself or put yourself in an environment that will keep you safe.

More to come next week......
07/17/2020 10:17:19 AM
User
@JaXterra “What can change between now and August/September?” Simple answer: the number of daily cases can drop. New York peaked in daily cases mid April with 11,571 cases (keep in mind that this WITHOUT the testing capacity we have now, so their case load was probably much higher). By early June, the daily cases dropped below 1,000/day WITH the increased testing capacity we’ve seen recently. The amount of time between mid April and early June is about 1.5 months. The amount of time between now and September is also 1.5 months. By November, the daily cases could be even less. What’s also changed since March is that we know a lot more about the virus and preventative measures we can take. Our testing capacity has also drastically increased. We also know to wear masks (in March, we were told not to wear masks since there would be less available for healthcare workers). We’re also months closer to a vaccine, which could arrive by the end of the year. Saying “nothing has changed” is simply false. We shouldn’t make a call about an event in November in July, so yes, it’s premature to make a call this early. The cases may increase in the fall, but we have no way of knowing that information right now. There’s still a lot of time to go. You don’t know what this pandemic will look like in a few months. You listed the events that got cancelled. None of them resemble local high school cross country. You listed some national and international events that require athletes to converge on one city, normally by air travel, which can be risky. In high school XC, runners only have to travel a few hours by car to a meet, and some involve no travel at all. Many athletes could even travel with their parents instead of by bus if you want to minimize risk even more. Also, the Masters was not cancelled, it was postponed to November. Golf, like XC, involves low to no contact. We should follow their lead and build a model for safe play for our athletes. Another solution: Coaches could let runners do recovery runs on their own in their neighborhoods, minimizing contact with teammates. Theoretically, teams would only have to meet for practice 2-3 times a week for hard workouts. With a meet about once every 2 weeks, runners would only be in contact with others 5-7 days of a two-week training block. This luxury is non-existent in a sport like football, where you must practice with teammates. Once again, XC is a sport that’s more equipped to deal with a pandemic. We’re pretty lucky. I encourage you to be less pessimistic. Instead of throwing in the towel and cancelling XC, we should look at every possible solution to ensure a safe season for our athletes.
@JaXterra

"What can change between now and August/September?"

Simple answer: the number of daily cases can drop. New York peaked in daily cases mid April with 11,571 cases (keep in mind that this WITHOUT the testing capacity we have now, so their case load was probably much higher). By early June, the daily cases dropped below 1,000/day WITH the increased testing capacity we've seen recently. The amount of time between mid April and early June is about 1.5 months. The amount of time between now and September is also 1.5 months. By November, the daily cases could be even less. What's also changed since March is that we know a lot more about the virus and preventative measures we can take. Our testing capacity has also drastically increased. We also know to wear masks (in March, we were told not to wear masks since there would be less available for healthcare workers). We're also months closer to a vaccine, which could arrive by the end of the year. Saying "nothing has changed" is simply false.

We shouldn't make a call about an event in November in July, so yes, it's premature to make a call this early. The cases may increase in the fall, but we have no way of knowing that information right now. There's still a lot of time to go. You don't know what this pandemic will look like in a few months.

You listed the events that got cancelled. None of them resemble local high school cross country. You listed some national and international events that require athletes to converge on one city, normally by air travel, which can be risky. In high school XC, runners only have to travel a few hours by car to a meet, and some involve no travel at all. Many athletes could even travel with their parents instead of by bus if you want to minimize risk even more. Also, the Masters was not cancelled, it was postponed to November. Golf, like XC, involves low to no contact. We should follow their lead and build a model for safe play for our athletes.

Another solution: Coaches could let runners do recovery runs on their own in their neighborhoods, minimizing contact with teammates. Theoretically, teams would only have to meet for practice 2-3 times a week for hard workouts. With a meet about once every 2 weeks, runners would only be in contact with others 5-7 days of a two-week training block. This luxury is non-existent in a sport like football, where you must practice with teammates. Once again, XC is a sport that's more equipped to deal with a pandemic. We're pretty lucky. I encourage you to be less pessimistic. Instead of throwing in the towel and cancelling XC, we should look at every possible solution to ensure a safe season for our athletes.
07/17/2020 12:56:48 PM
User
@Alpha_runner I am guessing you have not gone to medical school. But, you are right, things have changed, we have more Covid patients currently hospitalized in Fl than we have ever had before. I am glad you are not in charge of public health policy.
@Alpha_runner

I am guessing you have not gone to medical school.
But, you are right, things have changed, we have more Covid patients currently hospitalized in Fl than we have ever had before.

I am glad you are not in charge of public health policy.
07/17/2020 2:03:05 PM
User
SUBSCRIBER
Here's a good question for the "scientists" and "medical professionals" in this [url=https://news.yahoo.com/no-sports-effect-student-athletes-000222236.html?MvBriefArticleId=16245]news piece's headline[/url]. To me this is equally important to try to weigh against.
Here's a good question for the "scientists" and "medical professionals" in this news piece's headline. To me this is equally important to try to weigh against.
07/17/2020 2:16:46 PM
User
@frankieruiz Thanks Frankie! Shared and signed.
@frankieruiz Thanks Frankie! Shared and signed.

You must be logged in to comment.

Click Here to Log In.