Region IV Course
10/30/2019 4:26:12 PM
Power User
SUBSCRIBER
I've never been to the Corpus Christi regional location. Is it really flat? I watched a couple of videos and looked over the course map and it appears to be very flat to me.
I've never been to the Corpus Christi regional location. Is it really flat? I watched a couple of videos and looked over the course map and it appears to be very flat to me.
10/30/2019 4:30:27 PM
Power User
SUBSCRIBER
Strava stalk and get the elevation profile.
Strava stalk and get the elevation profile.
10/30/2019 4:41:02 PM
Power User
SUBSCRIBER
@Aggietom I don't know how to strava stalk!
@Aggietom I don't know how to strava stalk!
10/30/2019 5:32:30 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
@Riggers30 It’s about 98% flat. And most of that is the start up a gentle incline. Nothing that is too demanding. It used to have a few short quick hills on the older version of the course until they changed it last year. The course was more challenging then. Not a good decision to remove those.
@Riggers30

It's about 98% flat. And most of that is the start up a gentle incline. Nothing that is too demanding. It used to have a few short quick hills on the older version of the course until they changed it last year. The course was more challenging then. Not a good decision to remove those.
10/30/2019 5:37:56 PM
Power User
SUBSCRIBER
@burkebinning I thought they changed it last year because of the mud? Did they not move it back?
@burkebinning I thought they changed it last year because of the mud? Did they not move it back?
10/30/2019 5:45:56 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
@Riggers30 The best version of the course was when it consisted of two loops. There was some long straights and some snaking in there where you went up on a couple of small hills during each lap. Really good for spectating. And nobody got lapped. Apparently, the change came last year when there was grumbling from other coaches about the course not being fast compared to what they run in the meets down in their area. So, they reacted to a minority of the region coaches and changed it to a three loop course with less curves and practically no hills. The main reason that course is difficult, is the weather—hot and humid most years. Second, the grass/ground is still pretty soft at this time of year. ———————— What I never understood about last year‘s debacle with the mud and not changing the course back to the old version, is they just kept chopping off the new version of the course so it ended up being well short of 3 miles by the time you got to the region meet. Texas A&M Corpus Christi had a month to reevaluate and prepare the region course for it to be a 5K and they failed to do that.
@Riggers30

The best version of the course was when it consisted of two loops. There was some long straights and some snaking in there where you went up on a couple of small hills during each lap. Really good for spectating. And nobody got lapped.

Apparently, the change came last year when there was grumbling from other coaches about the course not being fast compared to what they run in the meets down in their area.

So, they reacted to a minority of the region coaches and changed it to a three loop course with less curves and practically no hills.

The main reason that course is difficult, is the weather--hot and humid most years. Second, the grass/ground is still pretty soft at this time of year.

----------------

What I never understood about last year's debacle with the mud and not changing the course back to the old version, is they just kept chopping off the new version of the course so it ended up being well short of 3 miles by the time you got to the region meet. Texas A&M Corpus Christi had a month to reevaluate and prepare the region course for it to be a 5K and they failed to do that.
10/30/2019 5:50:14 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
They corrected the distance....actually over corrected. It was a little long this year. No hills but...it's Corpus. 82 degrees with high humidity. I'd gladly take some hills for ten degrees cooler.
They corrected the distance....actually over corrected. It was a little long this year. No hills but...it's Corpus. 82 degrees with high humidity. I'd gladly take some hills for ten degrees cooler.
10/30/2019 6:10:44 PM
Power User
SUBSCRIBER
@coach_tate I was trying to compare the 2 mile times from 2017 to now but I guess its changed so I can't do that. In 2017 it looked like times translated to state times fairly well. It felt like times were similar but now I'm wondering if it was long and they were actually slow.
@coach_tate I was trying to compare the 2 mile times from 2017 to now but I guess its changed so I can't do that. In 2017 it looked like times translated to state times fairly well. It felt like times were similar but now I'm wondering if it was long and they were actually slow.
10/31/2019 2:06:07 PM
User
SUBSCRIBER
@Riggers30 what would be nice is that if all the region courses could be certified 5K. It seems up North everything is short and the further south you go they are longer!
@Riggers30 what would be nice is that if all the region courses could be certified 5K. It seems up North everything is short and the further south you go they are longer!
10/31/2019 2:47:01 PM
Power User
SUBSCRIBER
@Runningcoog Almost all the courses our school runs are long... LOOOONG and we are up north.
@Runningcoog Almost all the courses our school runs are long... LOOOONG and we are up north.
11/01/2019 10:13:26 AM
User
@Riggers30 To answer your question, until last year the course was about 2.1 miles, so all of the times were slower than other regions. Just to give you an example, the fastest time ever ran on that course for 2A was the #95 best time for the Region 4-2A regional meet over the years. It used to be held in San Antonio. You can't tell me that some of the best runners in the state can't run faster than that. Anyway, they shortened it last year and it was 13 yards short of a 3200m course last year. Our runners said they adjusted the distance this year. It does have a couple of small hills in in, but mostly flat. What gets everybody is the humidity of being right on the coast.
@Riggers30

To answer your question, until last year the course was about 2.1 miles, so all of the times were slower than other regions. Just to give you an example, the fastest time ever ran on that course for 2A was the #95 best time for the Region 4-2A regional meet over the years. It used to be held in San Antonio. You can't tell me that some of the best runners in the state can't run faster than that. Anyway, they shortened it last year and it was 13 yards short of a 3200m course last year. Our runners said they adjusted the distance this year. It does have a couple of small hills in in, but mostly flat. What gets everybody is the humidity of being right on the coast.
11/01/2019 10:22:22 AM
User
Riggers30, Your team looks really good this year. Sundown has a slight edge I think, but San Saba and Gruver will make it close. I crunched the numbers and I got 68, 87, 96 for top 3, but anything can and will happen. Supposed to be rain/mud at the meet this year I am hearing.
Riggers30,

Your team looks really good this year. Sundown has a slight edge I think, but San Saba and Gruver will make it close. I crunched the numbers and I got 68, 87, 96 for top 3, but anything can and will happen. Supposed to be rain/mud at the meet this year I am hearing.
11/01/2019 10:45:53 AM
Power User
SUBSCRIBER
@mellis1968 my weather app says some light rain 2 days before the meet and only clouds for the meet. I have it even tighter. 74, 76, 89 with San Saba with the slight edge. It'll be exciting to watch no matter what!
@mellis1968 my weather app says some light rain 2 days before the meet and only clouds for the meet. I have it even tighter. 74, 76, 89 with San Saba with the slight edge. It'll be exciting to watch no matter what!

You must be logged in to comment.

Click Here to Log In.