Help with recruiting for a shot putter
04/30/2019 2:00:09 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
I have a senior thrower who is new to the sport. This is his first year. He has a pr of 54'-2.75". I am trying to help him but I am more of a distance guy. What schools in florida might take him with that mark? What schools have a good throw coach. BTW we dont have a throw coach. Another kid on the team has been working with him. thanks
I have a senior thrower who is new to the sport. This is his first year. He has a pr of 54'-2.75". I am trying to help him but I am more of a distance guy. What schools in florida might take him with that mark? What schools have a good throw coach. BTW we dont have a throw coach. Another kid on the team has been working with him. thanks
05/01/2019 8:39:31 AM
Coach
@Longhorn have you tried talking with Southeastern university in Lakeland Or St. Thomas University
@Longhorn have you tried talking with Southeastern university in Lakeland Or St. Thomas University
05/01/2019 8:47:26 AM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
@richjj13 Not yet. I was trying to get a cheat sheet to start with since time is limited. I will add them. Thanks
@richjj13
Not yet. I was trying to get a cheat sheet to start with since time is limited. I will add them. Thanks
05/01/2019 9:20:21 AM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
Also try Thomas University in Thomasville, GA. They are NAIA (like SEU and St Thomas). Starting up a track program
Also try Thomas University in Thomasville, GA. They are NAIA (like SEU and St Thomas). Starting up a track program
05/01/2019 4:12:10 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
I had a similar story that might help guide you now. Three years ago, a senior athlete came to me because she "needed" to throw for me. Her story? A terrific basketball player who was being recruited as a freshman, but after two ACL tears in back to back years (10th and 11th grade years) she was a shell of what she used to be and there was no longer any interest in her from basketball scouts (outside of invites to walk-on). She was from a single-parent home and because of their family's financial limitations they were counting on basketball being her ticket to a free/much cheaper college education. So here she was telling me she needed to throw to get into college despite never throwing before in her life. Not typically how it works, but she had an older sister who threw shot at Texas A&M (was told a 50-foot thrower) so she had that going for her. So trying to keep this story short, she worked extremely hard those 3 months and ended up throwing over 36 feet at the state meet (not sensational, but good enough for a school record and 4th overall). I figured she would need to throw right at 40 feet to grab the attention of scouts. But to my surprise, 20 minutes after collecting her medal she was approached by 2 scouts: Nova and Keiser (yeah, I didn't know Keiser even had a track program). Both were there scouting other athletes, and they both received word from those athletes that they were committing elsewhere. So they both had money, and they had to give it to somebody. So one offered a 75% scholarship and another offered a full. Right there on the spot in front of me. Very cool stuff. There are a ton of programs desperate for athletes. Many are NAIA. Hopefully your thrower will be in Jacksonville this upcoming weekend and he does enough to impress somebody. But I recommend you do a little research and once you have a handful schools that interest your athlete identified, have him reach out to them. Good luck.
I had a similar story that might help guide you now.

Three years ago, a senior athlete came to me because she "needed" to throw for me. Her story? A terrific basketball player who was being recruited as a freshman, but after two ACL tears in back to back years (10th and 11th grade years) she was a shell of what she used to be and there was no longer any interest in her from basketball scouts (outside of invites to walk-on). She was from a single-parent home and because of their family's financial limitations they were counting on basketball being her ticket to a free/much cheaper college education.

So here she was telling me she needed to throw to get into college despite never throwing before in her life. Not typically how it works, but she had an older sister who threw shot at Texas A&M (was told a 50-foot thrower) so she had that going for her. So trying to keep this story short, she worked extremely hard those 3 months and ended up throwing over 36 feet at the state meet (not sensational, but good enough for a school record and 4th overall). I figured she would need to throw right at 40 feet to grab the attention of scouts. But to my surprise, 20 minutes after collecting her medal she was approached by 2 scouts: Nova and Keiser (yeah, I didn't know Keiser even had a track program). Both were there scouting other athletes, and they both received word from those athletes that they were committing elsewhere. So they both had money, and they had to give it to somebody. So one offered a 75% scholarship and another offered a full. Right there on the spot in front of me. Very cool stuff.

There are a ton of programs desperate for athletes. Many are NAIA. Hopefully your thrower will be in Jacksonville this upcoming weekend and he does enough to impress somebody. But I recommend you do a little research and once you have a handful schools that interest your athlete identified, have him reach out to them.

Good luck.
05/02/2019 10:41:14 AM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
Biggest thing is to fill out questionairres for schools with the academic program they are interested in. As a former college coach I recruited a lot of kids that were overlooked. Also don't be scared of JUCO, DIII, DII, NAIA schools. They have money a lot of times and most importantly if they are good academically they often are worth the risk. My first two all american's were below average high school athletes "barely making varsity". Why did I take them because they had 3.7 or better GPAs and I was willing to take the risk because academic funding was there. I also had a quota to fill and needed the numbers. They got to college and different events were their nitche that weren't available in high school. Grades matter. Those questionairres are the first thing they are going to go to so fill them out. Thats my two cents worth. Your kid from seeing him at divisional championships is defiantly college material and I am confident that a number of programs would be interested in him.
Biggest thing is to fill out questionairres for schools with the academic program they are interested in. As a former college coach I recruited a lot of kids that were overlooked. Also don't be scared of JUCO, DIII, DII, NAIA schools. They have money a lot of times and most importantly if they are good academically they often are worth the risk. My first two all american's were below average high school athletes "barely making varsity". Why did I take them because they had 3.7 or better GPAs and I was willing to take the risk because academic funding was there. I also had a quota to fill and needed the numbers. They got to college and different events were their nitche that weren't available in high school. Grades matter. Those questionairres are the first thing they are going to go to so fill them out. Thats my two cents worth. Your kid from seeing him at divisional championships is defiantly college material and I am confident that a number of programs would be interested in him.
05/02/2019 9:53:29 PM
User
SUBSCRIBER
At Embry-Riddle, our minimum scholarship standard in shot put is 50'and have had quite a bit of success in the throws. In fact, this past year, we scored 140 points in the throws at our conference meet. Please pm me or e-mail me about your athlete (rosol774@erau.edu).
At Embry-Riddle, our minimum scholarship standard in shot put is 50'and have had quite a bit of success in the throws. In fact, this past year, we scored 140 points in the throws at our conference meet. Please pm me or e-mail me about your athlete (rosol774@erau.edu).
07/21/2020 11:09:56 AM
User
Important information that helped me.
Important information that helped me.
07/21/2020 11:12:57 AM
User
[quote]Biggest thing is to fill out questionairres for schools with the academic program they are interested in. As a former college coach I recruited a lot of kids that were overlooked. Also don't be scared of JUCO, DIII, DII, NAIA schools. They have money a lot of times and most importantly if they are good academically they often are worth the risk. My first two all american's were below average high school athletes "barely making varsity". [url=https://edubirdie.com/plagiarism-free-essays]https://edubirdie.com/plagiarism-free-essays[/url] Why did I take them because they had 3.7 or better GPAs and I was willing to take the risk because academic funding was there. I also had a quota to fill and needed the numbers. They got to college and different events were their nitche that weren't available in high school. Grades matter. Those questionairres are the first thing they are going to go to so fill them out. Thats my two cents worth. Your kid from seeing him at divisional championships is defiantly college material and I am confident that a number of programs would be interested in him.[/quote] Thank you so much for sharing. It's very helpful to me.
Biggest thing is to fill out questionairres for schools with the academic program they are interested in. As a former college coach I recruited a lot of kids that were overlooked. Also don't be scared of JUCO, DIII, DII, NAIA schools. They have money a lot of times and most importantly if they are good academically they often are worth the risk. My first two all american's were below average high school athletes "barely making varsity". https://edubirdie.com/plagiarism-free-essays Why did I take them because they had 3.7 or better GPAs and I was willing to take the risk because academic funding was there. I also had a quota to fill and needed the numbers. They got to college and different events were their nitche that weren't available in high school. Grades matter. Those questionairres are the first thing they are going to go to so fill them out. Thats my two cents worth. Your kid from seeing him at divisional championships is defiantly college material and I am confident that a number of programs would be interested in him.

Thank you so much for sharing. It's very helpful to me.
07/21/2020 12:30:09 PM
User
SUBSCRIBER
Hello All, it warms my heart to see coaches, parents and educator working together like this for these student/athletes. Just one comment or extra effort can be all it takes to change the future for someone (butterfly effect). Best wishes to you all, S
Hello All, it warms my heart to see coaches, parents and educator working together like this for these student/athletes. Just one comment or extra effort can be all it takes to change the future for someone (butterfly effect). Best wishes to you all, S

You must be logged in to comment.

Click Here to Log In.