Inappropriate article on Tyrese Cooper
05/01/2018 12:10:43 PM
User
SUBSCRIBER
Why would you choose to run an article about an arrest of a student athlete. There have been numerous arrests of male, females and coaches for some embarrassing instances in the past. Do we want to use this forum to begin posting them? Let's keep this forum on running and the great job that these student athletes are doing. The running community is a small one. Shall we start airing some of the embarrassing things that we can easily find and post here! Shameful Shameful
Why would you choose to run an article about an arrest of a student athlete. There have been numerous arrests of male, females and coaches for some embarrassing instances in the past. Do we want to use this forum to begin posting them? Let's keep this forum on running and the great job that these student athletes are doing. The running community is a small one. Shall we start airing some of the embarrassing things that we can easily find and post here! Shameful Shameful
05/01/2018 12:47:47 PM
Power User
@lrak A counter perspective would be that this is a sports news media outlet and the article is just part of journalism. I doubt ESPN would receive as much of a critique for the content they produce that is of a similar fashion. IMO, this is the kind of thing people need to see and perhaps it will prevent others from going down the same path. Elite level athletes can make poor decisions and are not above the law, and it happens in our sport(s) too.
@lrak A counter perspective would be that this is a sports news media outlet and the article is just part of journalism. I doubt ESPN would receive as much of a critique for the content they produce that is of a similar fashion.

IMO, this is the kind of thing people need to see and perhaps it will prevent others from going down the same path. Elite level athletes can make poor decisions and are not above the law, and it happens in our sport(s) too.
05/01/2018 1:02:12 PM
User
SUBSCRIBER
@CoachRaposo We would be naive to think that this is the only student athlete male or female, or coach that has had an embarrassing issue with the law this year or in past years. "Elite" or not. Flrunners has steered clear in the past of publicizing these issues.
@CoachRaposo We would be naive to think that this is the only student athlete male or female, or coach that has had an embarrassing issue with the law this year or in past years. "Elite" or not. Flrunners has steered clear in the past of publicizing these issues.
05/01/2018 1:15:43 PM
Coach
JMHO, But I believe that the article states he is 18 years old. That makes the incident public record.
JMHO, But I believe that the article states he is 18 years old. That makes the incident public record.
05/01/2018 1:16:57 PM
User
Utterly disgusting that FLRunners is now the TMZ of sports. Congrats on embarrassing this athlete; without knowing the full circumstances surrounding his arrest and the innocent until proven guilty rule, I am SHOCKED FL Runners would decide to do this. Embarrassing for him, his family and his team I'm sure, and I'm going to keep this young man in my prayers. Shame on FLRunners.
Utterly disgusting that FLRunners is now the TMZ of sports. Congrats on embarrassing this athlete; without knowing the full circumstances surrounding his arrest and the innocent until proven guilty rule, I am SHOCKED FL Runners would decide to do this. Embarrassing for him, his family and his team I'm sure, and I'm going to keep this young man in my prayers.

Shame on FLRunners.
05/01/2018 1:52:39 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
Though I agree this article probably should have not been on milesplit, the embarrassment to him, his family and his school falls on his actions, not milesplit. We see articles like this all the time when it comes to 5-star football and basketball athletes getting in trouble. Hopefully the young man learns from this and comes back a better person.
Though I agree this article probably should have not been on milesplit, the embarrassment to him, his family and his school falls on his actions, not milesplit. We see articles like this all the time when it comes to 5-star football and basketball athletes getting in trouble. Hopefully the young man learns from this and comes back a better person.
05/01/2018 2:11:52 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
[quote=BrianRobinson]Though I agree this article probably should have not been on milesplit, the embarrassment to him, his family and his school falls on his actions, not milesplit. We see articles like this all the time when it comes to 5-star football and basketball athletes getting in trouble. Hopefully the young man learns from this and comes back a better person.[/quote] @BrianRobinson +1 Well said. I also hope he learns from this and moves forward a better man.
BrianRobinson wrote:

@BrianRobinson

+1 Well said. I also hope he learns from this and moves forward a better man.
05/01/2018 4:19:51 PM
Coach
[quote=CoachRaposo]@lrak A counter perspective would be that this is a sports news media outlet and the article is just part of journalism. I doubt ESPN would receive as much of a critique for the content they produce that is of a similar fashion. IMO, this is the kind of thing people need to see and perhaps it will prevent others from going down the same path. Elite level athletes can make poor decisions and are not above the law, and it happens in our sport(s) too.[/quote] @CoachRaposo Agree 100%
CoachRaposo wrote:
@lrak A counter perspective would be that this is a sports news media outlet and the article is just part of journalism. I doubt ESPN would receive as much of a critique for the content they produce that is of a similar fashion.

IMO, this is the kind of thing people need to see and perhaps it will prevent others from going down the same path. Elite level athletes can make poor decisions and are not above the law, and it happens in our sport(s) too.

@CoachRaposo Agree 100%
05/01/2018 4:33:16 PM
User
SUBSCRIBER
[quote=lrak]@CoachRaposo We would be naive to think that this is the only student athlete male or female, or coach that has had an embarrassing issue with the law this year or in past years. "Elite" or not. Flrunners has steered clear in the past of publicizing these issues.[/quote] @lrak I agree I didn’t see any articles back in February about the runner who was arrested for sexual assault and leaving the girl on the side of the road after she asked to go to the hospital. Either be fair in the reporting of the crimes and report on all the crimes across the board or don’t post anything at all. Just my two cents.
lrak wrote:

@lrak

I agree I didn't see any articles back in February about the runner who was arrested for sexual assault and leaving the girl on the side of the road after she asked to go to the hospital. Either be fair in the reporting of the crimes and report on all the crimes across the board or don't post anything at all. Just my two cents.
05/01/2018 4:41:46 PM
User
SUBSCRIBER
[quote=lrak]@CoachRaposo We would be naive to think that this is the only student athlete male or female, or coach that has had an embarrassing issue with the law this year or in past years. "Elite" or not. Flrunners has steered clear in the past of publicizing these issues.[/quote] @lrak I could not agree with you more! This was definitely done in poor taste. I hope they consider removing the content.
lrak wrote:

@lrak I could not agree with you more! This was definitely done in poor taste. I hope they consider removing the content.
05/01/2018 4:53:09 PM
User
I agree I didn’t see any articles back in February about the runner who was arrested for sexual assault and leaving the girl on the side of the road after she asked to go to the hospital. Either be fair in the reporting of the crimes and report on all the crimes across the board or don’t post anything at all. Just my two cents.[/quote] @Bella101802 But this isn't a "news" website, it's not Foxnews, not CNN, and excuse me all of you but you're convicting him before he's even had a chance to defend himself. Shame on all of you ! There shouldn't be crime reporting on here because really it's not relevant to the website or the discussions. I'm shocked, you guys get all up in arms posting ridiculing comments and memes when someone God forbid goes off-topic or discusses things you don't find interesting yet you approve of the reporting of what could be a mistake this young man made? Where's the compassion? Empathy anyone? I'm embarrassed for FLRunners and for some of the posters, I'm sorry. You all act extremely immature on here and it's become a smutty topic board. God forbid the kid is given a chance to explain, defend and rise above. I'm sure you all are squeaky clean in life and made no mistakes you regret right? All righteous stand up Christian folks? Way to judge the kid Rapaposa whatever your name is. You're one of the biggest critics on here.
I agree I didn't see any articles back in February about the runner who was arrested for sexual assault and leaving the girl on the side of the road after she asked to go to the hospital. Either be fair in the reporting of the crimes and report on all the crimes across the board or don't post anything at all. Just my two cents.

@Bella101802 But this isn't a "news" website, it's not Foxnews, not CNN, and excuse me all of you but you're convicting him before he's even had a chance to defend himself. Shame on all of you ! There shouldn't be crime reporting on here because really it's not relevant to the website or the discussions. I'm shocked, you guys get all up in arms posting ridiculing comments and memes when someone God forbid goes off-topic or discusses things you don't find interesting yet you approve of the reporting of what could be a mistake this young man made? Where's the compassion? Empathy anyone? I'm embarrassed for FLRunners and for some of the posters, I'm sorry. You all act extremely immature on here and it's become a smutty topic board.

God forbid the kid is given a chance to explain, defend and rise above. I'm sure you all are squeaky clean in life and made no mistakes you regret right? All righteous stand up Christian folks? Way to judge the kid Rapaposa whatever your name is. You're one of the biggest critics on here.
05/01/2018 5:06:14 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
[quote=Bella101802]lrak@CoachRaposo We would be naive to think that this is the only student athlete male or female, or coach that has had an embarrassing issue with the law this year or in past years. "Elite" or not. Flrunners has steered clear in the past of publicizing these issues. @lrak I agree I didn’t see any articles back in February about the runner who was arrested for sexual assault and leaving the girl on the side of the road after she asked to go to the hospital. Either be fair in the reporting of the crimes and report on all the crimes across the board or don’t post anything at all. Just my two cents.[/quote] @Bella101802 Wow...go after Flrunners for posting an article, yet you make reference to events you know nothing about, because you read something in a newspaper you assume them to be facts. BTW the athlete in questions has since had all charges dropped, but you never see an article stating that. Guilty till proven innocent! Shame on you!
Bella101802 wrote:
rak@CoachRaposo We would be naive to think that this is the only student athlete male or female, or coach that has had an embarrassing issue with the law this year or in past years. "Elite" or not. Flrunners has steered clear in the past of publicizing these issues.

@lrak

@Bella101802

Wow...go after Flrunners for posting an article, yet you make reference to events you know nothing about, because you read something in a newspaper you assume them to be facts. BTW the athlete in questions has since had all charges dropped, but you never see an article stating that. Guilty till proven innocent! Shame on you!
05/01/2018 5:21:05 PM
User
SUBSCRIBER
A little more info... http://www.miaminewtimes.com/news/tyrese-cooper-one-of-the-nations-fastest-sprinters-arrested-and-likely-wont-run-in-state-tournament-10312367
A little more info...

http://www.miaminewtimes.com/news/tyrese-cooper-one-of-the-nations-fastest-sprinters-arrested-and-likely-wont-run-in-state-tournament-10312367
05/01/2018 5:54:05 PM
User
SUBSCRIBER
From what article said I seems like he wanted to do what he wanted to do. You have a coach who took him into his house and own treated him as his own child and you decided to become disrespectful and not want to follow rules guess that what happens when you turn 18. The coach did the right thing when you think you grown as a young man and dont want to follow rules of the house and authority it is time for you to go. Yeah he might have been hanging with the wrong crowd and he made that decision to get in the car and go steal cars just think if they would have stolen those cars hmmm you really think he and that group of young men would have stopped? If Cooper was not a person on mile split that has been larger than life in the track community for years we would not have even heard about this incident as some mentioned about the runner that sexually assaulted the female. Guilty or not hope he has learned a valuable lesson and gets back on the right track in life and on the track. See as adults we worrying about why milesplit put this article out but the youth that I have spoken to that seen him as a role model are like why has he ruined his track career over trying to steal cars. This is a great time to speak to our athletes about the choices they make and the outcome it can have on your life
From what article said I seems like he wanted to do what he wanted to do. You have a coach who took him into his house and own treated him as his own child and you decided to become disrespectful and not want to follow rules guess that what happens when you turn 18. The coach did the right thing when you think you grown as a young man and dont want to follow rules of the house and authority it is time for you to go.

Yeah he might have been hanging with the wrong crowd and he made that decision to get in the car and go steal cars just think if they would have stolen those cars hmmm you really think he and that group of young men would have stopped?

If Cooper was not a person on mile split that has been larger than life in the track community for years we would not have even heard about this incident as some mentioned about the runner that sexually assaulted the female.

Guilty or not hope he has learned a valuable lesson and gets back on the right track in life and on the track.

See as adults we worrying about why milesplit put this article out but the youth that I have spoken to that seen him as a role model are like why has he ruined his track career over trying to steal cars. This is a great time to speak to our athletes about the choices they make and the outcome it can have on your life
05/01/2018 6:54:20 PM
User
SUBSCRIBER
[quote=KeepinItReal]I agree I didn’t see any articles back in February about the runner who was arrested for sexual assault and leaving the girl on the side of the road after she asked to go to the hospital. Either be fair in the reporting of the crimes and report on all the crimes across the board or don’t post anything at all. Just my two cents. @Bella101802 But this isn't a "news" website, it's not Foxnews, not CNN, and excuse me all of you but you're convicting him before he's even had a chance to defend himself. Shame on all of you ! There shouldn't be crime reporting on here because really it's not relevant to the website or the discussions. I'm shocked, you guys get all up in arms posting ridiculing comments and memes when someone God forbid goes off-topic or discusses things you don't find interesting yet you approve of the reporting of what could be a mistake this young man made? Where's the compassion? Empathy anyone? I'm embarrassed for FLRunners and for some of the posters, I'm sorry. You all act extremely immature on here and it's become a smutty topic board. God forbid the kid is given a chance to explain, defend and rise above. I'm sure you all are squeaky clean in life and made no mistakes you regret right? All righteous stand up Christian folks? Way to judge the kid Rapaposa whatever your name is. You're one of the biggest critics on here.[/quote] I was agreeing with you. I don’t think this should have been posted but if they are going to post then they should keep it real and post equally on athletes who are charged. I spent years working as a criminal defense attorney so I believe more so than anyone innocent until proven guilty. I also believe in unbiased and fair reporting yet find it strange they were so quick to post this article when other athletes have faced serious charges. @KeepinItReal
KeepinItReal wrote:
agree I didn't see any articles back in February about the runner who was arrested for sexual assault and leaving the girl on the side of the road after she asked to go to the hospital. Either be fair in the reporting of the crimes and report on all the crimes across the board or don't post anything at all. Just my two cents.

@Bella101802 But this isn't a "news" website, it's not Foxnews, not CNN, and excuse me all of you but you're convicting him before he's even had a chance to defend himself. Shame on all of you ! There shouldn't be crime reporting on here because really it's not relevant to the website or the discussions. I'm shocked, you guys get all up in arms posting ridiculing comments and memes when someone God forbid goes off-topic or discusses things you don't find interesting yet you approve of the reporting of what could be a mistake this young man made? Where's the compassion? Empathy anyone? I'm embarrassed for FLRunners and for some of the posters, I'm sorry. You all act extremely immature on here and it's become a smutty topic board.

God forbid the kid is given a chance to explain, defend and rise above. I'm sure you all are squeaky clean in life and made no mistakes you regret right? All righteous stand up Christian folks? Way to judge the kid Rapaposa whatever your name is. You're one of the biggest critics on here.

I was agreeing with you. I don't think this should have been posted but if they are going to post then they should keep it real and post equally on athletes who are charged. I spent years working as a criminal defense attorney so I believe more so than anyone innocent until proven guilty. I also believe in unbiased and fair reporting yet find it strange they were so quick to post this article when other athletes have faced serious charges.
@KeepinItReal
05/01/2018 7:09:32 PM
User
SUBSCRIBER
I have gone back and forth with myself about my views on this story being reported on milesplit. And this is also the main topic on at least three large track and field groups I belong to on Facebook. But , I will say that by the time I arrived at practice today, ALL the older boys on the team were asking me had I heard the news about this arrest . I said to myself that this is a good time to discuss this with my kids and try to maybe keep them from making the same mistake . I can not throw stones ,because I was in a similar position as a high school senior. I am praying for this young man and those close to him .
I have gone back and forth with myself about my views on this story being reported on milesplit. And this is also the main topic on at least three large track and field groups I belong to on Facebook. But , I will say that by the time I arrived at practice today, ALL the older boys on the team were asking me had I heard the news about this arrest . I said to myself that this is a good time to discuss this with my kids and try to maybe keep them from making the same mistake . I can not throw stones ,because I was in a similar position as a high school senior. I am praying for this young man and those close to him .
05/01/2018 8:12:08 PM
Power User
[quote=lrak]CoachRaposo We would be naive to think that this is the only student athlete male or female, or coach that has had an embarrassing issue with the law this year or in past years. "Elite" or not. Flrunners has steered clear in the past of publicizing these issues.[/quote] @lrak Which is something I've argued against for years. The problem is that most individuals, authors, journalists, whathaveyou, are afraid of backlash like this and don't call it how it is, even if many people do support the journalism. Besides that, I was personally texted no less than four times by different people today about his arrest, which have never happened before as long as I've been around the sport. Now had MileSplit posted the mugshot, that would be more of a faux pas and I could see an argument against that. It's easy for to me see that in this particular case, this athlete is way more high profile (he has his own Wikipedia page), has received national attention (this article coming from the national MileSplit team), and has immediate implications in the sport considering the State Finals are this weekend. I feel this article is completely warranted, and is a teaching opportunity for many athletes and coaches at least. [quote=Bella101802]I agree I didn’t see any articles back in February about the runner who was arrested for sexual assault and leaving the girl on the side of the road after she asked to go to the hospital. Either be fair in the reporting of the crimes and report on all the crimes across the board or don’t post anything at all. Just my two cents.[/quote] @Bella101802 First time I've heard of it. That's completely newsworthy. I'm actually surprised something wasn't written. However, odds are that athlete wasn't as high profile as this one nor did it have immediate implications in the sport. [quote=KeepinItReal]I'm embarrassed for FLRunners and for some of the posters, I'm sorry. You all act extremely immature on here and it's become a smutty topic board.[/quote] @KeepinItReal For someone who likes to 'Keep It Real', you complain a lot about this website/forum. You should just stop coming on here already. [quote=KeepinItReal]God forbid the kid is given a chance to explain, defend and rise above. I'm sure you all are squeaky clean in life and made no mistakes you regret right?[/quote] He was arrested on four counts. I'd contend that's a lot more than a "mistake". And while not everyone has led "squeaky clean" lives, that argument has nothing to do with this article or him being arrested. [quote=KeepinItReal]Way to judge the kid Rapaposa whatever your name is. You're one of the biggest critics on here.[/quote] I'm definitely more than a critic. I'm the guy who talks about the elephant in the room regardless of the extreme sensitivity that exists in our overly politically correct society; especially on this forum. I find it strange how you're misconstruing defending journalistic expression as being judgemental. As for the spelling, it's Raposo. It's right there in my username. I don't hide behind a pseudo-name; never have and never will. You should look into being transparent as well. And in this case, those that are arguing against the journalists for writing this article are the ones I would argue are judging.
lrak wrote:
CoachRaposo We would be naive to think that this is the only student athlete male or female, or coach that has had an embarrassing issue with the law this year or in past years. "Elite" or not. Flrunners has steered clear in the past of publicizing these issues.

@lrak Which is something I've argued against for years. The problem is that most individuals, authors, journalists, whathaveyou, are afraid of backlash like this and don't call it how it is, even if many people do support the journalism. Besides that, I was personally texted no less than four times by different people today about his arrest, which have never happened before as long as I've been around the sport. Now had MileSplit posted the mugshot, that would be more of a faux pas and I could see an argument against that.

It's easy for to me see that in this particular case, this athlete is way more high profile (he has his own Wikipedia page), has received national attention (this article coming from the national MileSplit team), and has immediate implications in the sport considering the State Finals are this weekend. I feel this article is completely warranted, and is a teaching opportunity for many athletes and coaches at least.

Bella101802 wrote:

@Bella101802 First time I've heard of it. That's completely newsworthy. I'm actually surprised something wasn't written. However, odds are that athlete wasn't as high profile as this one nor did it have immediate implications in the sport.

KeepinItReal wrote:
'm embarrassed for FLRunners and for some of the posters, I'm sorry. You all act extremely immature on here and it's become a smutty topic board.

@KeepinItReal For someone who likes to 'Keep It Real', you complain a lot about this website/forum. You should just stop coming on here already.

KeepinItReal wrote:
God forbid the kid is given a chance to explain, defend and rise above. I'm sure you all are squeaky clean in life and made no mistakes you regret right?
He was arrested on four counts. I'd contend that's a lot more than a "mistake". And while not everyone has led "squeaky clean" lives, that argument has nothing to do with this article or him being arrested.

KeepinItReal wrote:
Way to judge the kid Rapaposa whatever your name is. You're one of the biggest critics on here.
I'm definitely more than a critic. I'm the guy who talks about the elephant in the room regardless of the extreme sensitivity that exists in our overly politically correct society; especially on this forum. I find it strange how you're misconstruing defending journalistic expression as being judgemental.

As for the spelling, it's Raposo. It's right there in my username. I don't hide behind a pseudo-name; never have and never will. You should look into being transparent as well. And in this case, those that are arguing against the journalists for writing this article are the ones I would argue are judging.
05/01/2018 10:34:07 PM
User
SUBSCRIBER
Regardless, I find it inappropriate to post this here. As of right now, he's been accused and arrested. If milesplit detectives/journalists posted articles based solely on arrests and accusations, apparently, a few athletes would've made front page. Your opinions are respected but sometimes, we must agree to disagree. Abundant blessings to all!
Regardless, I find it inappropriate to post this here. As of right now, he's been accused and arrested. If milesplit detectives/journalists posted articles based solely on arrests and accusations, apparently, a few athletes would've made front page. Your opinions are respected but sometimes, we must agree to disagree. Abundant blessings to all!
05/01/2018 11:09:59 PM
User
I would like to think that if Tyrese Cooper had been accused of the same thing as the other athlete being referenced, that it would also not have been reported here because of the salacious details, potential for extreme damage to reputation and he said/she said nature of it. On the other hand, I suspect if the other athlete had been arrested for the same thing as Tyrese Cooper, it also would not have been reported here. I think that relates directly to how high profile and well-publicized Cooper is on this website. I hope for the best for him.
I would like to think that if Tyrese Cooper had been accused of the same thing as the other athlete being referenced, that it would also not have been reported here because of the salacious details, potential for extreme damage to reputation and he said/she said nature of it. On the other hand, I suspect if the other athlete had been arrested for the same thing as Tyrese Cooper, it also would not have been reported here. I think that relates directly to how high profile and well-publicized Cooper is on this website. I hope for the best for him.
05/02/2018 6:56:17 AM
Power User
SUBSCRIBER
[quote=KeepinItReal] But this isn't a "news" website,[/quote] @KeepinItReal I am not trying to make fun of you or be rude or snarky. I am just curious so I am asking this question. What do you think this website is? What do you think it's main purpose is? Again, just curious to see what you and maybe others view this website as.
KeepinItReal wrote:
But this isn't a "news" website,

@KeepinItReal I am not trying to make fun of you or be rude or snarky. I am just curious so I am asking this question.

What do you think this website is? What do you think it's main purpose is?

Again, just curious to see what you and maybe others view this website as.

You must be logged in to comment.

Click Here to Log In.