Just a thought for the future.
04/03/2018 7:10:50 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
I mentioned this a while back when the whole at large idea came up. I am a fan of this to some degree, but I think that having 24 in each event is way too many! We could have gotten the BEST to State and still kept the field at 16. Only the top 2 should advance automatically at district and region, then the next 8 to make it 16 (with some leeway for ties) This would allow for a tough district/region to have all 8 qualify for State. I do think the at large will get better quality for the State meet, but 24 in each event?? I am sure the hotel industry would disagree with me! On a side note, you better get those hotels booked because there will be 33% more people at the meet this year!! Don't even get me started on the prelims for 4x400. Not a fan when they started making 1a and 2a do 400 prelims let alone the relay. There is a huge difference in a school pulling from 2000+ students in 4a and 240 in 1a. I do love that each year changes are being made to better the sport. Thanks to all involved (even when I don't agree)
I mentioned this a while back when the whole at large idea came up. I am a fan of this to some degree, but I think that having 24 in each event is way too many! We could have gotten the BEST to State and still kept the field at 16. Only the top 2 should advance automatically at district and region, then the next 8 to make it 16 (with some leeway for ties)
This would allow for a tough district/region to have all 8 qualify for State. I do think the at large will get better quality for the State meet, but 24 in each event?? I am sure the hotel industry would disagree with me! On a side note, you better get those hotels booked because there will be 33% more people at the meet this year!! Don't even get me started on the prelims for 4x400. Not a fan when they started making 1a and 2a do 400 prelims let alone the relay. There is a huge difference in a school pulling from 2000+ students in 4a and 240 in 1a. I do love that each year changes are being made to better the sport. Thanks to all involved (even when I don't agree)
04/03/2018 8:09:12 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
As Coach Raposo will tell you, ad nauseum, conditions are too different at different venues to put THAT much stock in marks.
As Coach Raposo will tell you, ad nauseum, conditions are too different at different venues to put THAT much stock in marks.
04/03/2018 9:59:48 PM
Power User
[quote=statguy]As Coach Raposo will tell you, ad nauseum, conditions are too different at different venues to put THAT much stock in marks.[/quote] @statguy This post makes me so happy. lol I ALMOST started typing that earlier, but I decided not to. I'm way better at reserving myself compared to a few years back. =) However, one thing that does concern me is that I heard that Region Champions would not automatically be making the fast heat at State in the 800m and 4x800m. I hope I heard that wrong though, because I believe (as well as many others) that Region Champs should be in, especially considering that the fast heats could contain up to 16 entries which leaves the next best 12 times getting in as well.
statguy wrote:

@statguy This post makes me so happy. lol

I ALMOST started typing that earlier, but I decided not to. I'm way better at reserving myself compared to a few years back. =)

However, one thing that does concern me is that I heard that Region Champions would not automatically be making the fast heat at State in the 800m and 4x800m. I hope I heard that wrong though, because I believe (as well as many others) that Region Champs should be in, especially considering that the fast heats could contain up to 16 entries which leaves the next best 12 times getting in as well.
04/04/2018 6:38:55 AM
Power User
SUBSCRIBER
@CoachRaposo I too also heard this and it was disconcerting
@CoachRaposo
I too also heard this and it was disconcerting

You must be logged in to comment.

Click Here to Log In.