Stutler Bowl Invitational meet 4/24/17
04/25/2017 2:35:04 PM
User
I am a concerned parent of a track athlete. I would like to start off by saying that I appreciate all the volunteers for what they do at the meets, however I attended the Stutler Bowl meet last night and was appalled at how it was run. I understand that there were timing problems but that is no excuse for how things were run. If the timing system is not working it is time to replace it. If the people running the system are not proficient at running it replace them. In my business if this occurred these people would be fired. I work with timing equipment every weekend and we have contigency programs in place. It is called planning!! This was the worst run track meet that I have ever attended in my many years of going to track meets. This was a waste of hundreds of peoples time. The athletes, coaches and parents should not put up this type of event. If you can not put on an effecient meet you should not be allowed to do so. This was a school night and our students/athletes did not get back to our school on the bus until 11:30 at at night. This is unacceptable. I would urge everyone to not let this kind of thing continue. It just takes a little planning to make a successful event.
I am a concerned parent of a track athlete. I would like to start off by saying that I appreciate all the volunteers for what they do at the meets, however I attended the Stutler Bowl meet last night and was appalled at how it was run.

I understand that there were timing problems but that is no excuse for how things were run. If the timing system is not working it is time to replace it. If the people running the system are not proficient at running it replace them. In my business if this occurred these people would be fired. I work with timing equipment every weekend and we have contigency programs in place. It is called planning!!

This was the worst run track meet that I have ever attended in my many years of going to track meets. This was a waste of hundreds of peoples time. The athletes, coaches and parents should not put up this type of event. If you can not put on an effecient meet you should not be allowed to do so.

This was a school night and our students/athletes did not get back to our school on the bus until 11:30 at at night. This is unacceptable.

I would urge everyone to not let this kind of thing continue. It just takes a little planning to make a successful event.
04/25/2017 3:52:01 PM
Admin
SUBSCRIBER
@denniseloree I get your frustration. I really do. I've been at meets where everything has been behind on account of the timing system. It is exasperating. I don't think firing people is the answer you're looking for, though. The meet timer at the Stutler Twilight has a long history of very efficient meet management. I don't know the particulars of last night's situation, but I do know if I had to hire someone to time my meet, the person who was in charge of timing last night would be on my short list of candidates. If we "fire" that person, overall meet timing around the state takes a dip in quality. Sometimes equipment fails to work as it's supposed to. Sometimes it's a very simple fix, but if nobody has previous experience with the particular item that has gone wrong, it can take a long time to troubleshoot it. And, fully redundant timing systems would be nice, but who's going to write the check for that? I'm not sure what kind of timing you do, but do you have a fully redundant timing system with a five-figure price tag perpetually on the ready? If an 11:30 return is unacceptable, and I can see why you would feel it would be, your coach can pull athletes from the meet, explaining, "We need to be back by x:00." Or, you as a parent can make that call with your son or daughter as well.
@denniseloree

I get your frustration. I really do. I've been at meets where everything has been behind on account of the timing system. It is exasperating.

I don't think firing people is the answer you're looking for, though. The meet timer at the Stutler Twilight has a long history of very efficient meet management. I don't know the particulars of last night's situation, but I do know if I had to hire someone to time my meet, the person who was in charge of timing last night would be on my short list of candidates. If we "fire" that person, overall meet timing around the state takes a dip in quality.

Sometimes equipment fails to work as it's supposed to. Sometimes it's a very simple fix, but if nobody has previous experience with the particular item that has gone wrong, it can take a long time to troubleshoot it. And, fully redundant timing systems would be nice, but who's going to write the check for that? I'm not sure what kind of timing you do, but do you have a fully redundant timing system with a five-figure price tag perpetually on the ready?

If an 11:30 return is unacceptable, and I can see why you would feel it would be, your coach can pull athletes from the meet, explaining, "We need to be back by x:00." Or, you as a parent can make that call with your son or daughter as well.
04/25/2017 7:09:11 PM
Coach
As someone who has run only a few meets, I am very thankful for the staff at Jefferson County Stadium. John, Nancy, and crew do a fantastic job! While the meet director can set parameters, they handle the actual seeding and timing. I lose enough sleep the week before, with the "other stuff." That said, there are many places where an error can wreck a meets timing setup. It happened at the Greeley meet on Monday, too. Capitalism is predicated on a better and/or cheaper solution. @denniseloree an opportunity awaits you!
As someone who has run only a few meets, I am very thankful for the staff at Jefferson County Stadium. John, Nancy, and crew do a fantastic job! While the meet director can set parameters, they handle the actual seeding and timing. I lose enough sleep the week before, with the "other stuff."

That said, there are many places where an error can wreck a meets timing setup. It happened at the Greeley meet on Monday, too.

Capitalism is predicated on a better and/or cheaper solution. @denniseloree an opportunity awaits you!
04/26/2017 8:58:20 AM
User
SUBSCRIBER
@denniseloree As a parent who has volunteered at numerous track meets over the last 15 years, I have seen the countless hours coaches and others have put in to run a track meet. Hours away from their families in order to hold a meet for our athletes. And I have seen their anxiety when the occasional timing issue or other unforeseen problem arises. I have seen them patiently deal with the petty issues that parents had. The coaches know this is about the kids and their families so they want to make it a great event. My kids knew that they needed to roll with the punches and be grateful for the time the officials and coaches put in to make the event happen. I think that our coaches and officials have done an amazing job with the limited funding that they often have. So here is a big thank you to all of you out there who make the wonderful sport of track and field happen. Its a privilege to be part of it.
@denniseloree

As a parent who has volunteered at numerous track meets over the last 15 years, I have seen the countless hours coaches and others have put in to run a track meet. Hours away from their families in order to hold a meet for our athletes. And I have seen their anxiety when the occasional timing issue or other unforeseen problem arises. I have seen them patiently deal with the petty issues that parents had. The coaches know this is about the kids and their families so they want to make it a great event. My kids knew that they needed to roll with the punches and be grateful for the time the officials and coaches put in to make the event happen. I think that our coaches and officials have done an amazing job with the limited funding that they often have. So here is a big thank you to all of you out there who make the wonderful sport of track and field happen. Its a privilege to be part of it.
04/26/2017 12:14:52 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
@denniseloree Our kids at Mountain Vista left Monday night with smiles on their faces, and having a great experience at the meet. This is usually the sign of a quality competition from my perspective. The Stutler Bowl Invitational is a first class event all the way. Tons of time goes into this meet by Coach Reyes and his staff at Grandview to make it awesome for kids. Well run, great competition, allows for a lot of athletes to run/jump/throw, and a positive atmosphere for fans, coaches, and kids alike. I wish there were more meets in Colorado like this one. It's disheartening for coaches to hear comments like the one "denniseloree" posted yesterday. Coaches have 1000's of great memories from all the kids we've coached over the years that make the job worth it. However, comments like this weigh on us pretty heavy. Maybe instead of complaining about what you think coaches are doing wrong, reach out and thank the nice people that go to great lengths to make the sport we all love special for your kids. Respectfully, Jonathan Dalby Mountain Vista High School
@denniseloree

Our kids at Mountain Vista left Monday night with smiles on their faces, and having a great experience at the meet. This is usually the sign of a quality competition from my perspective. The Stutler Bowl Invitational is a first class event all the way. Tons of time goes into this meet by Coach Reyes and his staff at Grandview to make it awesome for kids. Well run, great competition, allows for a lot of athletes to run/jump/throw, and a positive atmosphere for fans, coaches, and kids alike. I wish there were more meets in Colorado like this one.

It's disheartening for coaches to hear comments like the one "denniseloree" posted yesterday. Coaches have 1000's of great memories from all the kids we've coached over the years that make the job worth it. However, comments like this weigh on us pretty heavy. Maybe instead of complaining about what you think coaches are doing wrong, reach out and thank the nice people that go to great lengths to make the sport we all love special for your kids.

Respectfully,
Jonathan Dalby
Mountain Vista High School
04/26/2017 1:26:20 PM
Coach
First off I would like to thank Coach Reyes and the Grandview staff for putting on the meet Monday. As a coach, yes it was frustrating to have the delays, but it is all a part of the sport we love. At a normal meet it would be frustrating to have so many delays. However the fact that even after the timer could not show up, Coach Reyes stepped up to time the meet himself rather than cancel all together should go a long way. The staff at Grandview rolled with the punches and put together a fantastic meet with some of the highest caliber teams in the state. Not to mention this was probably one of the only days this week that the weather would actually cooperate to yield high quality results. Thank you again to Coach Reyes and Grandview. Daniel Russell Jumps and Hurdles Palmer Ridge High School
First off I would like to thank Coach Reyes and the Grandview staff for putting on the meet Monday. As a coach, yes it was frustrating to have the delays, but it is all a part of the sport we love. At a normal meet it would be frustrating to have so many delays. However the fact that even after the timer could not show up, Coach Reyes stepped up to time the meet himself rather than cancel all together should go a long way. The staff at Grandview rolled with the punches and put together a fantastic meet with some of the highest caliber teams in the state. Not to mention this was probably one of the only days this week that the weather would actually cooperate to yield high quality results. Thank you again to Coach Reyes and Grandview.

Daniel Russell
Jumps and Hurdles
Palmer Ridge High School
04/27/2017 12:11:08 PM
Coach
Our coaches and athletes had a great time at the meet, and we had some breakthrough performances as well! Thanks to Grandview High School and John Reyes (former BHS standout) for hosting one of the most competitive meets in Colorado!
Our coaches and athletes had a great time at the meet, and we had some breakthrough performances as well! Thanks to Grandview High School and John Reyes (former BHS standout) for hosting one of the most competitive meets in Colorado!
04/28/2017 2:56:33 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
While I have not attended the Stutler Bowl meet (long waiting list to get in), I am well aware of the quality of meet that Coach Reyes puts on. As a meet director, there will always be something that comes up that you cannot plan for (weather, timing issues, injuries requiring medical assistance, etc...). Without a doubt in my mind, I know that Coach Reyes and his crew moved ahead with the goal of providing an opportunity for all athletes to get a good mark despite whatever obstacle reared its ugly head. Hats off to Coach Reyes for all of his hard work-being a meet director is a thankless job sometimes!
While I have not attended the Stutler Bowl meet (long waiting list to get in), I am well aware of the quality of meet that Coach Reyes puts on. As a meet director, there will always be something that comes up that you cannot plan for (weather, timing issues, injuries requiring medical assistance, etc...). Without a doubt in my mind, I know that Coach Reyes and his crew moved ahead with the goal of providing an opportunity for all athletes to get a good mark despite whatever obstacle reared its ugly head. Hats off to Coach Reyes for all of his hard work-being a meet director is a thankless job sometimes!

You must be logged in to comment.

Click Here to Log In.