Meet of Champions Potential (Lets all get on board)
05/28/2016 9:12:44 PM
Coach
After looking at some of the post season entries and results, there is no doubt that the Georgia Meet of Champions has the potential to be one of the absolute best meets in the country. There has been a lot of talk lately that as coaches we need to have a unified front over various issues relating to XC/track and field in Georgia. In my opinion, one of the best things we could do to improve track and field in Georgia is to encourage all of our best athletes to attend Meet of Champions. If you attended Meet of Champions you know that it was an overall huge success, however, it has the potential to be UNREAL. Many runners opted out of the Meet of Champions to prepare for Gold South or for the HS 400m at Pre-Classic. Unless you are in Texas or California, the majority of the best overall competition in high school track and field is right HERE. 4 out of the 8 female contestants in the HS 400m at the Pre Classic were from GA. In addition, 2 of the male contestants were from GA. Out of those contestants, only 1 competed in the Meet of Champions. Many others opted out of the Meet of Champions to chase that Brooks PR golden ticket at Gold South or to prepare for Pre Classic. I get opting out to run at Pre. Running at Tracktown USA seems like a surreal experience. However, it's hard to rationalize opting out of Meet of Champions to attend Gold South. The only reason to do so is for the opportunity to run at Brooks PR. Therefore, I recommend that we work our hardest to make Meet of Champions a qualifier for Brooks PR. Let's encourage all of our runners to attend Meet of Champions and show off the talent that exists in GA. We honestly have no need to travel! I would understand if there was no talent here, but it is ABUNDANT!!! Also, I'm tired of hearing that your runners have had a long season and are preparing for XC. Really??? What more is one week? Let's all get on the same page and make Meet of Champions one of the best meets in the country.
After looking at some of the post season entries and results, there is no doubt that the Georgia Meet of Champions has the potential to be one of the absolute best meets in the country. There has been a lot of talk lately that as coaches we need to have a unified front over various issues relating to XC/track and field in Georgia. In my opinion, one of the best things we could do to improve track and field in Georgia is to encourage all of our best athletes to attend Meet of Champions.

If you attended Meet of Champions you know that it was an overall huge success, however, it has the potential to be UNREAL. Many runners opted out of the Meet of Champions to prepare for Gold South or for the HS 400m at Pre-Classic. Unless you are in Texas or California, the majority of the best overall competition in high school track and field is right HERE. 4 out of the 8 female contestants in the HS 400m at the Pre Classic were from GA. In addition, 2 of the male contestants were from GA. Out of those contestants, only 1 competed in the Meet of Champions. Many others opted out of the Meet of Champions to chase that Brooks PR golden ticket at Gold South or to prepare for Pre Classic. I get opting out to run at Pre. Running at Tracktown USA seems like a surreal experience. However, it's hard to rationalize opting out of Meet of Champions to attend Gold South. The only reason to do so is for the opportunity to run at Brooks PR.

Therefore, I recommend that we work our hardest to make Meet of Champions a qualifier for Brooks PR. Let's encourage all of our runners to attend Meet of Champions and show off the talent that exists in GA. We honestly have no need to travel! I would understand if there was no talent here, but it is ABUNDANT!!!

Also, I'm tired of hearing that your runners have had a long season and are preparing for XC. Really??? What more is one week? Let's all get on the same page and make Meet of Champions one of the best meets in the country.
05/29/2016 11:54:04 AM
Power User
One of the young ladies in the 800m race who finished in the top 5 was the WINNER at Golden South. No doubt the field in some races in the inaugural year were awesome. The Coaches Association is going to work on what we can do to help continue a meet of this caliber, as it has been a vision of many for a long, long time. Thanks to USATF-GA/Mike Judge/Hazel Clark for being the driving force to make it happen. Mike told me last year about this same time in a phone conversation he was putting this meet together. Great work! I'm excited to see it continue to grow.
One of the young ladies in the 800m race who finished in the top 5 was the WINNER at Golden South.

No doubt the field in some races in the inaugural year were awesome.

The Coaches Association is going to work on what we can do to help continue a meet of this caliber, as it has been a vision of many for a long, long time.

Thanks to USATF-GA/Mike Judge/Hazel Clark for being the driving force to make it happen.

Mike told me last year about this same time in a phone conversation he was putting this meet together. Great work! I'm excited to see it continue to grow.
05/29/2016 11:37:37 PM
Coach
@ParkviewTrack I completely agree, I think that everyone involved with arranging MOC did a great job. I just wish all the applicable athletes and coaches would get on the same page and support the meet!
@ParkviewTrack
I completely agree, I think that everyone involved with arranging MOC did a great job. I just wish all the applicable athletes and coaches would get on the same page and support the meet!
05/30/2016 8:51:44 AM
Coach
Thanks for the input. We are already in the planning stages for next year. We hope to make this meet better and much more exciting for everyone!!
Thanks for the input. We are already in the planning stages for next year. We hope to make this meet better and much more exciting for everyone!!
06/04/2016 7:24:41 PM
User
MOC ended up being a good meet. Some events were fantastic(boy's 3200m). While a few(ie-high jumps) were a bit flat. BTW, I don't buy into the, "Getting ready for Cross Country" excuse either.
MOC ended up being a good meet. Some events were fantastic(boy's 3200m). While a few(ie-high jumps) were a bit flat. BTW, I don't buy into the, "Getting ready for Cross Country" excuse either.

You must be logged in to comment.

Click Here to Log In.