A variety of underclassmen shine every indoor track and field season, and it's particularly impressive when some are able to compete on the national stage.
While we're only a few weeks through the new season, we've taken a look at some of the top underclassmen in the girls jumping events so far.
Read: Future Boys Stars In The Jumps
Below are five athletes we've pulled from our top 30 list of the combined freshman and sophomore standouts to highlight.
1. Payton Phillips, Pole Vault Atlanta/Carrolloton (GA) -- The sophomore pole vaulter recently cleared a career best 12 feet, 5.25 inches at the Galleria Games on Dec. 15, shooting her up the charts as the top underclassmen. That mark also placed her US No. 15 in the country. Consider that just a year ago Phillips posted a career best of 11-5 in the vault. She's a talent to watch out for in the immediate future. She's one of six underclassmen to have broken 12 feet in the pole vault thus far.
2. Jahnelle Saunders, Bethel (VA) -- Saunders has already picked up the reputable nickname 'Wonder Woman' for her versatility in a number of events. Whether it's the 55m, 200m, 300m, 55mH, the high jump, the long jump or the triple jump, Saunders can literally do it all. But over the past two seasons, Saunders has shown a proclivity for ability in the jumps, where she's capitalized with a top height of 5-6 this season--her PR is 5-6.5--and a career best of 18-2.75 in the long jump. She's the top ranked underclassmen in the high jump and third in the long jump.
3. Ija Mumford, Parkland (NC) -- She went 38 feet, 3 inches in the triple jump at the Titan Clash on Dec. 6, which puts her in elite company in the event. Mumford will be chasing a 40-foot mark soon enough.
4. Alyssa Jones, Miami South Dade Express Track Club (FL) -- Jones currently leads the underclassmen in the long jump, where she's pocketed a best of 18-4.25. In a highly competitive field, it should be a matter of time before Jones lands in the 19-foot range.
5. Carly Tarentino, A.L. Johnson (NJ) -- Outside of Saunders, Tarentino is the only other underclassmen to have marked an equal mark in the high jump of 5-6.
Top 30 Rankings By Event: High Jump l Long Jump l Triple Jump l Pole Vault