The 3000m run has been one of the most unpredictable races over the last four seasons in high school track and field.
Just five boys have broken a standard of 8:30 in the race over the 2017 season, though performances at that time or better since 2013 have been uneven at best. While 32 athletes notched times under 8:30 a year ago, it fluctuated to 13 in 2015 and 36 in 2014 and back to 14 in 2013.
The girls field is just as imbalanced. Only two girls have raced under 9:45 this year, including a top time of 9:29.01 by Saratoga Springs (NY) High's Kelsey Chmiel in April.
But that's far behind the 27 girls who are able to accomplish that mark in 2016. However, the trend is uneven in the stretch before our most recent season, too. Girls race under 9:45 12 times in 2013, 16 times in 2014 and just eight times in 2015.
The girls national-leader over the past two seasons, Kate Murphy of Lake Braddock (Va.) High, has not raced for any of the 2017 spring season.
Air Academy (CO) High's Katie Rainsberger set a national record in 2016 at the IAAF World U20 Championships in 9:00.62. On the boys side, Riverbank (Ca.) High's German Fernandez set the boys national record in 2008 in a time of 7:59.83.
Take a look at our national leader since 2013.
Boys 3000m Leaders 2013-2017 -- through July 1st
- 2017: David Principe, La Salle Academy (RI), 8:16.60
- 2016: Eduardo Herrera, Madera South (Ca.), 8:15.01
- 2015: John Dressel, Mount Spokane (Wa.), 8:20.58
- 2014: Drew Hunter, Loudoun Valley (Va.), 8:16.31
- 2013: James Randon, Middlesex (CT), 8:20.80
Girls 3000m Leaders 2013-2017 -- through July 1st
- 2017: Kelsey Chmiel, Saratoga Springs (NY), 9:29.01
- 2016: Kate Murphy, Lake Braddock (Va.), 9:10.51
- 2015: Kate Murphy, Lake Braddock (Va.), 9:32.82
- 2014: Alexa Efraimson, Camas (WA), 9:23.24
- 2013: Erin Clark, South Eugene (OR), 9:32.08
Click on the slideshow to view the top 100 national leaders in the boys and girls 3000m run over the current campaign and over the last four seasons.
Boys: 2017 l 2016 l 2015 l 2014 l 2013
Girls: 2017 l 2016 l 2015 l 2014 l 2013