2011 Cross Country Highlights
Check us out on Facebook here
Follow our tweets here
Martinez crossing the line victorious (Photo by Margot Kelly)
Hooker crossing the line victorious (Photo by Margot Kelly)
American Fork (UT) - 1st Place (Photo by Margot Kelly)
Davis (UT) - 2nd Place (Photo by Margot Kelly)
Fort Collins (CO) - 1st Place (Photo by Margot Kelly)
Xavier College Prep (AZ) - 2nd Place (Photo by Margot Kelly)
- Onsite coverage by Margot Kelly, Alan Versaw and Lyle Knudson
- Nike Cross National Qualifiers | Fort Collins, Hooker Win Big
- Boys Championship: Luis Martinez (NM) won the boys individual title with an unofficial time of 15:08.80. Danny Carney (CO) was 2nd with a time of 15:12.71, Clayton Young (UT) was 3rd with a time of 15:14.57, Brayden Mclelland (UT) was 4th in 15:21.64, Gus Waneka was 5th in 15:21.65 and Brad Nye (UT) was 6th in 15:21.25.47. American Fork (UT) won the team title with a score of 45 points over Davis (UT) with 76 points. Fort Collins (CO) was 3rd with 177 points and Mountain Vista (CO) was 4th with 234 points.
- Girls Championship: Erin Hooker (CO) wins the girls individual title with a time of 17:36.13. Summer Harper (UT) was 2nd in 17:42.55, Rolonda Jumbo (AZ) was 3rd in 17:43.99, Elise Cranny (CO) was 4th in 17:45.53, Sarah Feeny (UT) was 5th in 17:4.44 and Jamie Stokes (UT) was 6th in 17:57.15. Fort Collins (CO) won the team title with 110 points, Xavier Prep (AZ) was 2nd with 144 points, Monarch (CO) was 3rd with 164 points and Classical Academy (CO) was 4th with 171 points.
|Boys Individuals||Girls Individuals|
|1) Luis Martinez - 15:08.80||1) Erin Hooker - 17:36.13|
|2) Danny Carney - 15:12.71||2) Summer Harper - 17:42.55|
|3) Clayton Young - 15:14.57||3) Rolonda Jumbo - 17:43.99|
|4) Brayden Mclelland - 15:21.64||4) Elise Cranny - 17:45.53|
|5) Gus Waneka - 15:21.65||5) Sarah Feeny - 17:46.44|
|6) Brad Nye - 15:25.47||6) Jamie Stokes - 17:57.15|
|7) Mackenzie Morrison - 15:27.26||7) Birdie Hutton - 17:57.40|
|8) Jackson Thomas - 15:28.34||8) Regan Mullen - 18:01.76|
|9) Jordan Cross - 15:29.26||9) Sarah Fakler - 18:11.55|
|10) Bernie Montoya - 15:31.53||10) Karina Ernst - 18:14.13|
|Boys Teams||Girls Teams|
|1) American Fork - 45||1) Fort Collins - 110|
|2) Davis - 76||2) Xavier Prep - 144|
|3) Fort Collins - 177||3) Monarch - 164|
|4) Mountain Vista - 234||4) Classical Academy - 171|
|5) Sue Cleveland - 262||5) Ogden - 184|
Southlake Carroll boys after their victory (Photo by Alex Aldaco)
Southlake Carroll girls after their victory (Photo by Alex Aldaco)
Daniel Vertiz rolling toward the finish (Photo by Alex Aldaco)
Madi McLellan dueling it out for the win (Photo by Alex Aldaco)
- Boys Championship: Daniel Vertiz won the boys individual title with a time of 15:19 over Kevyn Hoyos (15:25.92) and Craig Nowak (15:26.59). Cale Wallace was 4th in 15:31.54 and Joe Sansone was 5th in 15:35.37. Southlake Carroll boys get the team win over The Woodlands.
- Girls Championship: Madi McLellan won the girls title in 18:03.61 over Karis Jochen, who was 2nd in 18:07.23 while Alex Davis was 3rd in 18:19.02. Safiya Belbina was 4th in 18:19.95 and Magdalena Escobar was 5th in 18:27.49. The Southlake Carroll girls won the team title and swept the team wins as they defeated Kingwood.
|Boys Individuals||Girls Individuals|
|1) Daniel Vertiz - 15:19||1) Madi McLellan - 18:03.61|
|2) Kevyn Hoyos - 15:25.92||2) Karis Jochen - 18:07.23|
|3) Craig Nowak - 15:26.59||3) Alexandra Davis - 18:19.02|
|4) Cale Wallace - 15:31.54||4) Safiya Belbina - 18:19.95|
|5) Joe Sansone - 15:35.37||5) Magdalena Escobar - 18:27.49|
|6) Ryan Teel - 15:46.45||6) Courtney Kriegshauser - 18:35.71|
|7) Robert Domanic - 15:48.19||7) Arin Rice - 18:38.18|
|8) Troy Taylor - 15:54.30||8) Silvia Leblanc - 18:38.81|
|9) Trevor Gilley - 15:57.81||9) Sandie Raines - 18:40.38|
|10) Jordan Chavez - 15:58.76||10) Emily Perez - 18:41.08|
|Boys Teams||Girls Teams|
|1) South Lake Carroll (TX)||1) South Lake Carroll (TX)|
|2) The Woodlands (TX)||2) Kingwood (TX)|
|3) Bentonville (AR)||3) College Park (TX)|
|4) Cedar Park (TX)||4) The Woodlands (TX)|
|5) College Park (TX)||5) Flower Mound (TX)|
- Onsite coverage by Jason Byrne and Todd Grasley
- Jason's Predictions
- Todd's Predictions
- 3A Boys: Elliot Clemente rolled to the win in a blistering 15:05.99 clocking to lead Belen Jesuit to the team crown. Max del Monte (Chamberlain) was 2nd in 15:28.38. Belen Jesuit was dominate as they averaged 15:40.60 for their top-5 to secure the win with just 26 points.
- 4A Boys: Andres Arroyo (Colonial) won the individual title with a time of 15:13.74. Colonial also took the team crown with 86 points.
- 1A Boys: Ryan Gousse (Trinity Prep) pulls the upset with a winning time of 15:32.98. Teammate Daniel Salas was 2nd in 15:43.87 and Daniel Moore (Holy Trinity) was 3rd with a time of 15:53.62. Holy Trinity got the best of Trinity Prep on the team side 37 to 55.
- 2A Boys: Bert Irigoyen (Ransom Everglades) won individually with a time of 15:57 as Ransom Everglades also won the team race with 81 points.
- 3A Girls: Olivia Ortiz (Lakewood Ranch) won a duel with Lily Williams in the fastest girls race of the day 17:39.35 to 17:48.29. Estero defeated Chiles 69 to 87 in the team race.
- 4A Girls: Bridget Blake (Dr. Phillips) won the title individually with a time of 18:05.62. HB Plant won a very tight race with 73 points as Ferguson was 2nd with 75 points and St. Thomas Aquinas was 3rd with 77 points.
- 2A Girls: Shelby Davidson (Cocoa Beach) won the individual crown with a time of 17:55.87. Carrollton won the team race with 103 points.
- 1A Girls: Julie Wollrath (Holy Trinity) wins individually with a time of 18:18.19. Providence won a close race over Oak Hall School 95 to 98.
Jonathan Green (D1) and Wes Gallagher (D2) (Photos by Pat Bendzick)
Catarina Rocha (D1) and Jordan O'Dea (D2) (Photos by Pat Bendzick)
- Onsite Coverage by Pat Bendzick
- Boys Preview Article
- Girls Preview Article
- Division 1 Boys: Jonathan Green (St. John's) pulled away late to win the individual title with a time of 15:41 over Joel Hubbard (Marshfield), 15:42, and Cole Bennie (Wachusett), 15:46. Brookline defeated Lowell 110 to 147.
- Division 2 Boys: Wes Gallagher (Pembroke) won the title with a time of 15:43 over Stephen Robertson (Wakefield) who was 2nd in 15:44. Bishop Feehan won the team crown by just 2 points over Pembroke 59 to 61.
- Division 1 Girls: Catarina Rocha (Peabody) wins in a time of 18:12, with a gap back to 2nd as Camille Blackman (Longmeadow) was 18:41. Whitman-Hanson won the team title with 93 points.
- Division 2 Girls: Jordan O'Dea (Dennis Yarmouth) wins in a time of 18:35. Bishop Feehan runners Katie Powell and Abbey McNulty were 2-3 with both runner clocked in 18:44. Bishop Feehan is the team champ with 63 points.
Holly Bischof powering home with the win (Photo by Pat Montferrat)
Tim Ball gaining separation (Photo by MaroonNews)
Christian Brothers Academy after their dominate MOC victory.
Rumson-Fair Haven after their MOC victory.
- Onsite coverage by Pat Montferrat
- Girls Championship: Holly Bischof (Bishop Eustace) won the girls MOC title to cap her senior year with a time of 18:13. Caroline Kellner was 2nd in 18:20 and Mackenzie Barry was 3rd in 18:21. Rumson-Fair Haven won the girls team crown with 126 points over 2-time defending champ Hillsborough who beat St. Dominic Academy out for 2nd after a 6th-runner tiebreaker at 142 points!
- Boys Championship: Tim Ball gets the individual title in 15:31 over George Kelly, 15:37, who led the CBA squad. Ben Malone was 3rd in 15:40. Christian Brothers Academy won the team crown with a new 5-man course record of 16:04.40 and just 45 points. Don Bosco was 2nd with 111 points in a tight battle over Westfield, 112 points.
Mary Cain gains separation on her way to victory (Photo by Kyle Brazeil)
- Photo Album by Kyle Brazeil
- Coverage Article by Kyle Brazeil
- Comprehensive Preview Article by Kyle Brazeil
- Girls Championship: Mary Cain (Bronxville) won the race with a quick time of 17:40. Laura Leff (West Genessee) was 2nd in 18:09.9. US#2 Saratoga Springs won easily with 57 points. Of note is that US#1 Fayetteville-Manlius did not run, as they have historically done in their preparations for NXN qualification.
- Boys Championship: Brendan Smith (CBA-Syracuse) won individually with a time of 15:58.8 over Dan Galford (Monsignor Farrell), who was 2nd in 15:59.6. Shaker won the boys team title with 121 points over Arlington, 155.
Nathan Weitz leads Anthony Armstrong (behind) and Izaic Yorks (left) down the final stretch.
- Onsite coverage by Leo and Angela Collins
- Preview Article by Leo Collins
- Boys Race: Anthony Armstrong did it again, this time grinding it out by a slim margin to beat Izaic Yorks with both runners timed at 13:38. Nathan Weitz was 3rd in 13:49 as Washington swept the top 8 spots on Oregon.
- Girls Race: Katie Knight pushed the pace early and ran away with it, winning with a time of 15:44 over Amy-Eloise Neale, 2nd in 15:58. Jordan McPhee was 3rd with a clocking of 16:10. Washington took the top 5 spots over Oregon.
Ariel Michalek crusing toward the finish (Photo by Jim Findlay)
Pat Niyork driving toward victory (Photo by Jim Findlay)
- Girls Championship: Illinois and Indiana battled it out for the team title with both teams scoring 44 points in the four state senior all-star meet. Illinois' average time was 3 seconds faster than Indiana's average time, and included three athletes that finished in the top 10, but Indiana was able to win on the 6th runner tie-breaker as Indiana was able to four athletes in the top 10 and have six finishers cross the line before Illinois' fifth runner crossed the line. Michigan finished in third with 56 points and Ohio was fourth by scoring 70 points. Ariel Michalek (Oswego East) of Illinois was the overall individual winner by finishing the 5K course with a time of 18:37. Michigan's Rachel Shullist of Zeeland West finished second with a time of 18:54. Ohio's top runner was Kayla Scott of Canal Winchester, who finished third with a time of 18:59.
- Boys Championship: The Ohio boys contigent dominated the field by placing all five scorers in the top 10. Ohio scored 28 points on their way to the team championship while runner-up Michigan scored 48 points. Indiana finished in third with 63 team points, while Illinois scored a dismal 128 team points. Illinois' lone bright spot on the boys side was that they had the individual winner, Pat Niyork of Willbrook who finished with a time of 15:49. Adrian Ross of Unioto (Ohio) was the runner-up crossing the line at 15:53, just slightly ahead of Divine Child's Nick Soter and Heritage's Evan Chiplock, who are both fromMichigan and also ran 15:53 on the 5K course. Ohio then took places 5-9 in the following order, Ryan Polman of Independence (15:54), Copley's Nick Pupino (15:56), Ryan Roush of South Range (16:02) and Walsh Jesuit's Tony Howkins (16:03).
Start of the girls 5A race (Photo courtest of angelle)
- Photo Album by angelle (348 photos)
- 5A Boys: Cole Stafford (Catholic) won the 3 mile race with a time of 15:22.75 over Neal Fitzpatrick (Jesuit) who ran 15:26.22 for 2nd. Catholic won a tight race over Brother Martin 61 to 68.
- 5A Girls: Nicole Durham (Fontainebleau) won the individual title in 18:42.23 over Angelica Dickson (Mandeville) who ran 18:48.73 for 2nd. Dominican ran away with the team title with just 39 points.
- 4A Boys: Trey Bonin (Teurlings Catholic) won the individual title with a time of 15:59.74 to win by 25 seconds. Archbishop Shaw won the team title with 60 points.
- 2A Boys: Enrique Soto (Lakeside) won the race with a time of 15:41.25.
- 2A Girls: Mallory Robichaux (Menard) won the race with a time of 18:46.82 to lead Menard to the team title with 59 points.
- 1A Girls: Anna Katherine Devitt (Christian Life) won the race with a time of 18:33.96 to win by close to a minute.
Photos by Sherri Cortez
- Division 2 Boys: Darren Fahy (La Costa Canyon) blasted a 15:23 to win easily over Dylan Blankenbaker (Ramona) who ran 15:37 for 2nd. La Costa Canyon defeated Ramona 56 to 65.
- Division 1 Boys: Eric Hayen (Poway) won the race in 15:57 and Carlsbad took down Torrey Pines 73 to 88.
- Division 3 Boys: Haslam Riess (University City) won the race in 16:09. Cathedral Catholic won the team title with 70 points.
- Division 4 Boys: Will Wilde Botta (Bishop's School) won with a time of 16:25 to lead The Bishop's School to the team win with 37 points.
- Division 5 Boys: Coming
- Division 2 Girls: Kelly Lawson (La Costa Canyon) won the individual race with a time of 15:54 over teammate Emma Abrahamson, 16:00, as La Costa Canyon dominated by taking the top-4 places and 5 of the top-6 to score 16 points for the win.
- Division 1 Girls: Brianna Miller (Carlsbad) won the race with a time of 15:57 and Torrey Pines won the team title with 59 points.
- Division 3 Girls: Savannah Roberts (Clairemont) won the individual race with a time of 16:28 and Cathedral Catholic won the team race with 49 points.
- Division 4 Girls: Nicole Davies (Coronado) won the race by a large margin with a time of 16:47. Coronado won the team title with 42 points.
- Division 5 Girls: Delaney Miller (Pacific Ridge) won with a time of 17:35 and Pacific Ridge ran away with the team crown, scoring just 17 points.
- Division 2 Girls: Sarah Baxter (Simi Valley) blasted a 16:44 to win with the fastest time of the day while Karis Frankian (Saugus) was 2nd in 17:06. Simi Valley won a tight battle over Saugus 60 to 69.
- Division 4 Girls: Cami Chapus (Harvard Westlake) won in 17:06, to defeat teammate Amy Weissenbach, who ran 17:45 for 2nd. JSerra won the team race with 49 points and a 34 second spread.
- Division 1 Girls: Erika Reddish (Vista Murietta) won decisively with a time of 17:12. San Clemente won the team race with 015 points and a 53 second spread.
- Division 3 Girls: Rebecca Mehra (Palos Verdes) won in 17:23 over Sydney Segal (Beverly Hills) who was 2nd in 17:28. Palos Verdes won the team crown with 101 points.
- Division 5 Girls: Alexia Velarde (Marywood Palm Valley) won the race in 18:04. Xavier Prep won the team title with 65 points.
- Division 3 Boys: Danny Martinez (St. John Bosco) won the race in 14:36, the fastest time of the day, while Jonah Diaz (Palos Verdes) was 2nd in 14:55. Palos Verdes won the team race with 89 points.
- Division 1 Boys: Sergio Gonzalez (Arcadia) won with a 14:51 clocking while Luis Gutierez (Rancho Cucamonga) was 2nd in 14:53. Arcadia scored 65 points to win the team race with a 52 second spread.
- Division 2 Boys: Danny Martinez (Golden Valley) won the race in 14:54 over Jose Penaloza (Godinez) in 14:57 and teammate Juan David Garcia in 14:59. Golden Valley won the team title with 61 points.
- Division 5 Boys: Billy Gaudreau (St. Margarets) won the individual title in 15:01 over teammate Paul Brenneman, who was 2nd in 15:19. St. Margarets also took the team crown with 45 points.
- Division 4 Boys: Daniel De La Torre (La Salle) won in 15:24. Salesian won the team race with 95 points and a 45 second spread
- US#21 Samantha Nightingale (Blue Springs) won the girls race and shattered the old course record of 18:04 with her clocking of 17:32.7! Even more impressively is that the WV state champ Maggie Drazba broke the course record of 18:25 earlier in the day with her 18:04 clocking. What amazing racing by both girls!
- US#7 Jacob Burcham (Cabell Midland) won the boys title with a time of 15:55.6 to win by a very comfortable margin.