2011 Cross Country Highlights
Mt SAC Invitational, CA
Girls Team Sweepstakes Race
Boys Team Sweepstakes Race
- Team Sweepstakes: US#6 Darren Fahy (La Costa Canyon) blasted a 14:41 to win the race overall with Sergio Gonzalez (Arcadia) finishing in 2nd in 14:49. Fahy took the lead at 400 meters, passing through in 62 seconds and continued the blistering pace through 800 at 2:14. Cameron Miller (Stockdale) came up on Fahy's shoulder and took the lead briefly as they passed the mile in 4:40. Fahy took the lead back up the switchbacks and looked to be sprinting at the top. Fahy blew through 2 miles in 9:47 and held his pace to the finish. US#25 Rancho Cucamonga (CA) won the team title 81 points and a 15:21 team average.
- Div 1&2 Individual: US#13 Brian Guijarro (Knight) won the race with a 14:56 clocking. The 800 was taken out in 2:14 by Richie Soto and Guijarro. At this point Guijarro takes the lead and goes through the mile at 4:38. Soto was leading a pack at 4:44. Guijarro increased his lead to 11 seconds heading down the switchbacks and onto the airstrip, holding his lead to the finish. Burbank (CA) won the team title with 81 points.
- Div 3: Danny Martinez (St. John Bosco) won with a swift 14:44 clocking over teammate Myles Smith, who ran 15:08. Cathedral won the team race with 127 points.
- Div 4: John Lawson (Drake) won by 11 seconds with a time of 15:17. Don Bosco dominated the team race, winning with 86 points.
- Div 5: Billy Gaudreau (St. Margaret's) led the charge with a winning time of 14:59 as three runners places in the top-5 to give St. Margaret's the win with 42 points.
- Team Sweepstakes: Sarah Baxter (Simi Valley) won the race in a time of 16:59 with Sarah Fakler (St. Xavier Prep) finishing as the runner-up with a time of 17:31. Cami Chapus (Harvard Westlake) rounded out the top-3 with a time of 17:45. The first mile was covered in 5:32 with Baxter and Chapus side by side. As they moved into the switchbacks Baxter began to pull away from Chapus. On the way down the back side of the hills Fakler moved into 2nd place, close to Baxter. As they ascended poop out hill Baxter pulled away for good, going through the 2 mile in 11:31 with Fakler back at 11:38. US#21 Simi Valley (CA) upset US#4 La Costa Canyon in a big way with 55 points scored to 105 to win the team race. US#6 Xavier College Prep (AZ) finished 3rd with 112 points and US#16 Greak Oak (CA) was 4th with 113 points.
- Div 1&2 Individual: Karis Frankian (Saugus) won the girls race with a solid 17:12 clocking. US#17 Saugus (CA) won the team race with 64 points.
- Div 3: US#17 Karlie Garcia (Oakmont) blasted a 17:01 to win her race by 46 seconds! Corona Del Mar won a tight team race with Cathedral Catholic 82 to 83!
- Div 4: Anna Maxwell (San Lorenzo Valley) won the individual race with a time of 17:44, clear of the field by 20 seconds. JSerra won the team race with just 48 points.
- Div 5: Bridget Blum (University) led a 1-2-3 charge, winning with a time of 18:12. University won the team title behind that performance with a score of 58 points.
Bismarck proud after 7 straight! (Photo courtesy of Dave Zittleman)
Jake Leingang leads the Demon charge off the start line (Photo courtesy of Dave Zittleman)
- Bismarck gets 7 straight by Aaron Rich
- Boys Class A: US#3 Bismarck (ND) went on a tear as they scored an amazing 17 points to win the Class A state title for the 7th straight year off of an impressive 59 second spread from 1-5, which shrinks to an amazing 13 seconds without Leingang. They also put 6 runners in the top-7, averaging 15:43 for runners 1-5. US#5 Jake Leingang destroyed the course to lead the Bismarck charge, winning with a time of 14:59.8! Lane Kashur was 2nd in 15:45.5, Preston Lerew was 3rd in 15:55.1, Austin Todd was 5th in 15:58 and Brandon Berg was 6th in 15:58.1. Coach Darrell Anderson had this to say after the race, "It was a great effort. I can tell one thing, there's no more hay left in the barn". Coach Dave Zittleman added, "They came to race and that they did".
- Girls Class A: Davies got past Bismarck to win the team title by a score of 47 to 75 for the 2nd straight year. Senior Tarin Lachowitzer led her team with the individual title with a 4k clocking of 14:16.70, to win her 3rd straight title (Tarin was 2nd as a frosh). Davies had 3 in the top-5 overall to help secure the win.
Western Maine Regionals, ME
Leonardi tears it up at Regions. (Photo by moosechili)
- Coverage Central (Photos, Video Interviews, Race Videos, Class Summaries, and Results)
- Top Interviews: Abbey Leonardi | Matt McClintock
- Top Photo Albums
- Class A girls: US#10 Abbey Leonardi (Kennebunk) blasted an 18:05.59 to set the course record, a feat made more impressive by the fact that the course was quite muddy! Leonardi looks to be very fit as she enters the post-season. Cheverus won the girls race, showing incredible depth despite top runner Emily Durgin dropping out as they held on to win with 45 points.
- Class C boys: Matt McClintock (Madison) attacked the course from the gun to go after a sub-16 time despite the mud, and came real close as he recorded the fastest boys time of the day with a 16:00.23 clocking.
- Class B boys: Falmouth boys had the best finish on the day with 50 points for the win and a 17:36.2 average. Silas Eastman (Fryeburg Academy) won with the second fastest time of the day, a 16:18.11 clocking.
Mary Cain approaches the finish line. (Photo by Kyle Brazeil)
- US#21 Mary Cain (Bronxville) smoked the Bowdoin Park course to the tune of 18:02.96 to win the Varsity 2 race, a top-10 mark on the course. Bronxville also took the team title with 47 points scored.
- Mike Turi (John Jay) won the boys Varsity 2 race with a time of 16:15.10 to win by 8 seconds. Arlington won the team title with 42 points.
- Boys AA: Tony Smoragiewicz (Rapid City Central) comfortably won the state title with a time of 15:24.84. Sioux Falls Roosevelt won the team title with 98 points.
- Girls AA: Alex Hess (Sioux Falls Roosevelt) won the girls race with a time of 14:19.50 for 4000 meters. Yankton defeated Rapid City Central 75 to 88.
- Boys A: Dysan Lends His Horse (Cheyenne-Eagle Butt) won easily with a time of 16:14.15 to lead his team to victory with 35 points.
- Girls A: Kelsey Barrett (Britton-Hecla) won a tight race over Savannah Childers (Spearfish) 14:49.45 to 14:49.80. Spearfish won a close team race over Garretson 41 to 48.
- Boys B: Duane Jongeling (Parker) won the title with a time of 16:24.02 by a margin of 37 seconds. Parker won a practical dual meet over Irene-Wakonda, 22 to 24.
- Girls B: Mindy Kraft (Wessington Springs) won with the only time in the race under 15 with a clocking of 14:54.62. Ipswich won the team title with 15 points.
- Boys 3A: Chris Lowery (Chandler) rolled to the individual win by 48 seconds with a time of 16:03. Plainview took down Oklahoma Bible Academy 59 to 84.
- Girls 3A: Alex Davis (Plainview) dominated by 39 points with a winning time of 11:25 for 2 miles. Plainview won the team crown with a total of 31 points.
- Boys 2A: Luis Chavez (Beaver) won individually with a time of 17:15 to lead his team to a winning point total of 82.
- Girls 2A: Cheyenne Choate (Hennessey) won with a time of 12:11 to lead her team to the victory with 77 points.
Futsum dominating the race. (Photo by Andy Martin)
Wellman pulling away. (Photo by Andy Martin)
- In the boys race US#2 Futsum Zeinasellassie (North Central) continued his undefeated season, winning by 20 seconds in a time of 15:06.90. Troy Reeder (Hamilton Southeastern) was 2nd in 15:26.50. US#13 Columbus North (IN) won the team race with 47 points as Hamilton Southeastern got close, finishing 2nd with 56 points. Columbus North boasted a 41 second 1-5 spread while Hamilton got in with a 54 second spread.
- In the girls race US#2 Carmel (IN) dominated the action, scoring just 34 points off of a 59 second spread, and winning with by close to 100 points. Renee Wellman led her team with a winning individual performance in 18:15.20. MacKenzie Caldwell (Columbus North) was 2nd in 18:19.
- US#2 Molly Seidel (University Lake School) blasted a 13:33.1 4k to win by over two minutes!
(Photo by Leo Collins)
- Photo Album by Leo Collins
- Video Interviews
- WESCO Summary article by Leo Collins
- With rainfall making the course muddy and tough to negotiate US#11 Amy-Eloise Neale (Glacier Peak) impressed with a time of 17:46 to win the 3A race, only 2 seconds off her course record under better conditions.
- Glacier Peak girls impressed as much as Neale, winning with just 19 points and a 19:02 average in poor conditions in the girls 3A race.
- Henry Jackson won the boys 4A team race with just 33 points and and a 16:37 average. Mason Nicol (Lake Stevens) won individually with a time of 16:16.48.
Erin Finn finishing strong.
West Bloomfield All-League performers.
- Erin Finn dominates league meet by Aaron Rich
- US#6 Erin Finn (West Bloomfield) dominated the girls racing with a time of 17:34.1, winning by 1:43 as Bloomfield Hills won a narrow victory with 32 points.
- In the boys race Jarred Bratley (Bloomfield Hills Andover) won with a time of 16:22.3 while Farmington took the team title with 44 points.
American Fork (UT) and Davis (UT) at the 2011 State Championship. (Photo by Corbin Talley)
- Boys 5A: US#11 American Fork (UT) put up a 40.8 second 1-5 spread to defeat Davis (UT) in a close race with 25 points. Davis scored 33 points with a spread of only 38.3 seconds. MacKenzie Morrison led the Cavemen with the individual win in a time of 15:22.4. Brad Nye led Davis with a second place finish in 15:23.1. Clayton Young (American Fork) was 3rd in 15:31.2.
- Girls 5A: Davis (UT) won the team title with just 44 points and Shea Martinez led the team with her individual winning time of 18:28.0.
- Boys 4A: Mountain View (UT) pulled off a double in 4A as both squads got the job done. The boys won with 66 points and a 27.9 seconds spread. Bonneville (UT) was 2nd with 83 points and a 15 second spread! Jacob Heslington (Timpanogos) won the individual title in a tight 3-way battle up front in 15:39.5. Connor Mantz (Sky View) was 2nd in 15:40 and Jerrell Mock (Logan) was 3rd in 15:40.3.
- Girls 4A: Mountain View (UT) and US#50 Timpview (UT) both pulled an upset as both beat US#32 Skyline (UT). Mountain View was pretty dominant as they put up 76 points while Timpview was 2nd with 92. Skyline was just behind with 93 points. Kelsey Braithwaite (Box Elder) won the race overall with a time of 17:36.4 to set the state meet course record.
- Boys 3A: Ogden (UT) won the team title with a total of 73 points over Park City (UT) with 80 points. Ben Saarel (Park City) won with a time of 15:50.3 over Jordon Cross (Ogden) who clocked a 16:01.8.
- Girls 3A: Park City (UT) won a close one over Pine View (UT) with a score of 56 to 61. Jamie Stokes (Ogden) won over teammate Sarah Feeny 18:18.8 to 18:41.0.
- Boys 2A: Parowan (UT) won the team title with 69 points and Yanni Gallagher (Kanab) won the individual title with a time of 16:48.3 in a tight battle over Ryan Westermann (Rowland Hall), in 16:48.5.
- Girls 2A: Rowland Hall (UT) won the team title in dominating fashion with just 34 points. Erica Birk (North Summit) won the individual title with a time of 18:23, over a minute ahead of 2nd place.
- Boys 1A: Monticello (UT) won the team title with 47 points while Colby Spencer (Valley) won the individual title with a time of 16:48.
- Girls 1A: Panguitch (UT) won the team title with a total of 59 points. Katie Nielson (Dugway) won the individual title with a time of 19:35.
O'Hara boys champs. (Photo by Charles Stone)
- Tom Coyle (LaSalle) got the edge over Dan Savage (O'Hara) individually, winning 15:56.20 to 15:56.70. Cardinal O'Hara dominated in the team race, however, with a 28 point score and 16:22.2 average.
- Archbishop Wood won the girls team title with a low score of 28 points.
SOL Conference Champs, PA
Gerlach & McGovern race for home. (Photo by Patty Morgan)
- Two of PA's best put on quite a show in the girls race. Tori Gerlach (Pennridge) and Meghan McGovern (North Penn) went head to head with Gerlach scratching out the win 17:47 to 17:48. North Penn did come away with the team title, however, scoring 37 points for the win.
- In the boys race Connor Quinn (Hatboro Horsham) defeated teammate Sam Hibbs 15:47 to 15:53, but North Penn went 3-4-5 to win the team race with 36 points.
- Drew Magaha (Upper Moreland) won the boys Varsity with the 2nd fastest time of the day, running mostly alone to a time of 15:50.
- PA's top team, the girls of Pennsbury, dominated with just 18 points scored, off a 56 second spread and an 18:55 average. Ann Herman led the charge with her winning time of 18:22.
- Photo Albums - Don Rich | Phil Grove
- Video Interviews - North Hills Girls | Mt. Lebanon boys coach | Logan Steiner
- The North Hills (PA) girls dominated by taking 1-2-3 with the Malone sisters, Shannon 1st in 19:41, Margo 2nd in 19:41, and Mary 3rd in 19:58.
- The Mount Lebanon (PA) boys also dominated, winning with 76 points behind a pack so tight they recorded a 39 second 1-5 spread. Logan Steiner (North Allegheny) won the overall title with a time of 16:33.
- Boys A: Isaac Allen (Lincoln East) won the boys individual title with a quick 15:51.2 clocking over Jacob Olson (Kearney), who was 2nd in 16:04.1. Kearney won the team title in a runaway with just 41 points scored.
- Girls A: Jeralyn Poe (Lincoln North Star) won the girls race with a time of 14:38.5 over the 4000 meter course. Millard West beat Lincoln East in a close one 64 to 65. Kearney was 3rd, just 5 back with 70 points.
- Boys B: Thomas Feichtinger (Mount Michael Benedictine) won the race with a 16:00.4 clocking, 19 seconds clear of the field. Scottsbluff won the team title with a commanding 27 points.
- Girls B: Odaliz Santoyo-Garcia (Lexington) pulled out the victory with a time of 15:07.2. Lincoln Pius X won the team race with 28 points.
- Boys C: Cole Wellnitz (Gordon-Rushville) won the title with a time of 16:24.3 over Brett Dockweiler (Gothenburg), who was 2nd in 16:26.3. Columbus Scotus won a close one over Milford 55 to 59.
- Girls C: Shannen Ramey (Fort Calhoun) won the title with a time of 15:23.4 to lead her team to the championship with a score of 49 points in a close one over Sidney with 51.
- Boys D: Austin Hamm (Bloomfield) won individually with a time of 16:27.3 while Ord won a close one over Nebraska Christian, 73 to 74.
- Girls D: Marissa Dewispelare (Aquinas Catholic) won in 15:23.8 over Andrea Weeder (Lindsay Holy Family), who was 2nd in 15:24.1. Crofton won the team title with 36 points.
Michigan State Championships - Upper Peninsula, MI
- Boys Div 1: Dylan Turpeinen (Houghton) won the division in a tight race over Devin Berg (Calumet). Turpeinen finished in 17:02.0 with Berg clocking a 17:03.7. Houghton won the team race wtih 41 points.
- Girls Div 1: Tara Kiilunen from Calument wont he girls race in 19:12.6 over teammate Rachel Poyhonen who finished in 20:09.4. Marquette won the team race with 46 points.
- Boys Div 2: Jono Newlin (Stephenson) won the boys race with a time of 17:31.3 with Bennett Paul (LaSalle) finishing 2nd in 17:36.8. Stephenson won the team race with 36 points.
- Girls Div 2: Sarah Cullip (LaSalle) ran a 19:15.6 for the win. Rudyard won the team title with 54 points.
- Boys Div 3: Andrew Kelto (Munishing) won in 17:47.8. Munising won the team race with 36 points.
- Girls Div 3: Lauren Spranger (Superior Central) won the Div 3 race with less than a 3 second cushion, finishing in 20:56.7 over Erin Currie (Cedarville) in 20:59.2. Cedarville won the team race with 40 points.
- Boys Individual: The fastest time of the day went to Jakob Woodland of Bozeman High. Woodland won the boys Class AA race with a time of 15:20.65 followed by Zach Perrin from Flathead who finished in 15:25.52 over the 3 mile course. Derrick Williams from Columbia Falls won the boys Class A race in 15:30.76 and Kit Mayer (Loyola Sacred Heart) won the boys Class B race in 15:42.11. The Class C boys race was won by Doug Raymer of Darby with a time of 15:49.80.
- Boys Team: Bozeman impressed in Boys AA action, winning with 46 points and an quick 15:50.09 team average. Corvallis won in Boys A action with 121 points. Manhattan won the Boys B race with 81 points and Culbertson won Boys C with a score of 15 points based on 3 runners scored.
- Girls Individual: Caroline Hardin from Bozeman won the girls Class AA race in 17:25.56 for the fastest time of the day. Makena Morley (Bigfork) won the Class B race in 17:44.32 while Sadi Henderson (Corvallis) ran an 18:30.26 in the Class A race for the win and Kelly McCafferty (Belt) won the Class C race with a time of 19:17.30.
- Girls Team: Bozeman completed the sweep in Girls AA, winning with 32 points off a quick 18:11.32 team average. In Girls A Corvallis also swept both titles, winning with a score of 79 points. Glasgow dominated the field in Girls B with 43 points, the only team under 100 in the race. In Girls C action Belt won with 24 points based on 3 runners scored.
- Boys Individual: Rock Springs sophomore, Ricky Faure, had the fastest time of the day running the 4A 5K course in 16:43.91. Faure's time was 25 seconds faster than the 2nd place finisher. Oliver Scofield (Sr., Jackson Hole) won the 3A division with a time of 16:51.68 and Alejandro Garcia (Sr., Pine Bluffs-Burns) won the 2A division in 17:41.03.
- Girls Individual: On the girls side, Star Valley junior Hailey Ricks won the 3A division in 19:54.36 for the fastest time of the day. Riverton freshman, Olivia Thompson, won the 4A division in 20:03.68 while Mikayla Hudgins (Jr., Wright) won the 2A division in 21:28.04.
- Boys Team: Wyoming Indian won the boys 2A division with 17 points placing their top 6 runners in the top 10 and all 7 in the top 17. Jackson Hole boys won the 3A division with 34 points placing their top 5 in the top 20 and Rock Springs won the 4A division with 70 points.
- Girls Team: The Pine-Bluffs-Burns girls team won the 2A division with 28 points placing all 7 girls in the top 18. Cody High won the girls 3A with 47 points placing the scoring 5 in the top 15 and Laramie High won the girls 4A race with 52 points and the scoring 5 in the top 20.