* Bullis School's Aidan McDuffie was the NBNO 200m champion in June
Photo Credit: Joe Swift/MileSplit
- - -
Aidan McDuffie, quite literally, saved his best for last.
The Bullis School (MD) senior went into the 200 meter final at New Balance Nationals Outdoor on June 19 at Franklin Field in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania as a contender, but perhaps no one was looking at him to compete for a title.
And then McDuffie silenced all those doubters, winning a national title in a personal record and career best time of 20.95 seconds (-0.4) to finish out his high school career. The following Friday, he was named as our National Boys Performer of the Week for the 13th installment of the series this outdoor season.
Over the course of the week, McDuffie picked up 65-percent of the vote, coasting through the finish line with the victory.
McDuffie, who remains unsigned, was also the anchor on the team's fourth-place finish in the championship 4x400 and finished outside the finals in the 100m, where he ran a wind-legal time of 10.58 (-0.4).
In May, Bullis School head coach Joe Lee said this of his athlete, who had endured injuries over his first three seasons:
"He's like a son to me, so to see him reach these heights is extremely gratifying," Lee told The Washington Post. "There were times with the injuries where he couldn't see the greatness that was within him, but we never stopped working or believing in who he was. Now he sees it, too, and as a result the results are speaking for themselves."
This is the final National Boys Performer of the Week winner for the 2022 outdoor season. A big congrats goes out to all the winners over the spring season.
NPOTW Indoor Series:
- Week 1: Will Sumner, Woodstock (GA)
- Week 2: Maddox Hamm, Scottsboro (AL)
- Week 3: Chris Brinkley, Fort Bend Marshall (TX)
- Week 4: Nyckoles Harbor, Archbishop Carroll (DC)
- Week 5: Kevin Sanchez, Austin Vandegrift (TX)
- Week 6: Christopher Morales Williams, Ontario Speed Academy (CAN)
- Week 7: Wyatt Stewart, Madison Central (KY)
- Week 8: Zyaire Nuriddin, Montverde Academy (FL)
- Week 9: Jackson Barna, Ridge (NJ)
- Week 10: Marco Langon, Bridgewater-Raritan (NJ)
NPOTW Outdoor Series:
- Week 1: Yan Vazquez, Red Mountain (AZ)
- Week 2: Patrick Daves, Bayside Academy (AL)
- Week 3: Max Thomas, Servite (CA)
- Week 4: Gary Martin, Archbishop Wood (PA)
- Week 5: Keegan Smith, Knoxville Catholic (TN)
- Week 6: Casey Helm, Madison (KS)
- Week 7: Charlie Sexton, Auburn (AL)
- Week 8: Gary Martin, Archbishop Wood (PA)
- Week 9: Cade Flatt, Marshall County (KY)
- Week 10: Rocky Hansen, The Christ School (NC)
- Week 11: Xavier Carmichael, Hayfield Secondary (VA)
- Week 12: Robert Paneque, Jackson Memorial (NJ)
- Week 13: Aidan McDuffie, Bullis School (MD)